I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!
Okay, I never posted how the jury duty selection thing went.

I DID notice that women were popular, in that they made up MOST of the juries in the eight potential cases that were up. On one particular case, there were seven women and one man. They went through all the questions and finally, when the judge asked if either the State or the defense wanted to (I'm drawing a blank on the word they used) "get rid of" any of the potential jurors for no legitimate reason other than they just "didn't want them." The defense said he didn't want the man. That juror was excused and instead of calling up another person, the judge decided that seven jurors were fine and that he was okay with that jury. (That case was a DUI case and the accused was a young, black male. I'm simply stating that to give an idea of how I perceived this selection process. I almost never point out someone's race, because it's not important.)

Anyway, another case had seven men and one woman. That was another DUI case. (I TOTALLY called it! I knew most of them would be related to vehicle incidents.)

Well, I got called up for the third case and I won't discuss it any further until the case is settled. (I'm paranoid like that and I follow da rulez.) I will say that the case wasn't as "headline worthy" as the case AFTER mine Dodgy The next case involved a woman defendant who was charged with child endangerment, public intoxication and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. (I found out that said "minor" was FOUR YEARS OLD and out on the streets with this woman at FOUR AM.) Perhaps it was best that I didn't get chosen for that case; I automatically judged her. I was looking her up and down and thinking, "She totally did it. She's scrawny and looks strung out. She borrowed that nice dress for this court appearance. She's guilty." I never thought I'd do that! I was indeed biased.

I also got called up as the last juror on the last case. I got chosen to be an alternate. By that case, I had put my piercings back in, thinking that I most-likely wouldn't get called up again. They still chose me. This case is a civil case, so both lawyers seem rather "slimy and sneaky." Cool It should be interesting.

Earmuffs, I have to agree with you, based on the evidence I saw with my own eyes, that women seemed to be chosen as a juror more often than the men. They got rid of many of the dudes that sat up there. It's like they only wanted women.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 04:39 PM
(11-05-2013 04:34 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Okay, I never posted how the jury duty selection thing went.

I DID notice that women were popular, in that they made up MOST of the juries in the eight potential cases that were up. On one particular case, there were seven women and one man. They went through all the questions and finally, when the judge asked if either the State or the defense wanted to (I'm drawing a blank on the word they used) "get rid of" any of the potential jurors for no legitimate reason other than they just "didn't want them." The defense said he didn't want the man. That juror was excused and instead of calling up another person, the judge decided that seven jurors were fine and that he was okay with that jury. (That case was a DUI case and the accused was a young, black male. I'm simply stating that to give an idea of how I perceived this selection process. I almost never point out someone's race, because it's not important.)

Anyway, another case had seven men and one woman. That was another DUI case. (I TOTALLY called it! I knew most of them would be related to vehicle incidents.)

Well, I got called up for the third case and I won't discuss it any further until the case is settled. (I'm paranoid like that and I follow da rulez.) I will say that the case wasn't as "headline worthy" as the case AFTER mine Dodgy The next case involved a woman defendant who was charged with child endangerment, public intoxication and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. (I found out that said "minor" was FOUR YEARS OLD and out on the streets with this woman at FOUR AM.) Perhaps it was best that I didn't get chosen for that case; I automatically judged her. I was looking her up and down and thinking, "She totally did it. She's scrawny and looks strung out. She borrowed that nice dress for this court appearance. She's guilty." I never thought I'd do that! I was indeed biased.

I also got called up as the last juror on the last case. I got chosen to be an alternate. By that case, I had put my piercings back in, thinking that I most-likely wouldn't get called up again. They still chose me. This case is a civil case, so both lawyers seem rather "slimy and sneaky." Cool It should be interesting.

Earmuffs, I have to agree with you, based on the evidence I saw with my own eyes, that women seemed to be chosen as a juror more often than the men. They got rid of many of the dudes that sat up there. It's like they only wanted women.

Told ya so Peanut. Smile Glad you got picked though. I know you were hoping to be.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
(11-05-2013 04:34 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Okay, I never posted how the jury duty selection thing went.

Congratulations Big Grin

When you're able to tell us more I want all the details Angel

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
11-05-2013, 05:09 PM
(11-05-2013 05:06 PM)nach_in Wrote:  

Congratulations Big Grin

Shouldn't you be off adjudicating something? Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-05-2013, 05:51 PM
(11-05-2013 05:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 05:06 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Congratulations Big Grin

Shouldn't you be off adjudicating something? Drinking Beverage

I'm having a drink with friends, justice rests on weekends Bangin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post