I Need Solid Proof God Doesn't Exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2011, 08:35 AM
RE: I Need Solid Proof God Doesn't Exist
(31-05-2011 08:29 AM)BnW Wrote:  How can you prove that something does not exist? It is logically impossible to do this.

Not quite. It's logically impossible to prove that something as loosely defined as a god does not exist. You can prove that things don't exist. It just depends on how they are defined.

For example, I can prove that "the man that murdered me this morning" does not exist, because I was not murdered this morning. We can't disprove a god because "god" is not concretely defined.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2011, 09:48 AM
(31-05-2011 04:37 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Getting theists to listen to anything you have to say (including solid proof)? Impossible.
This is why the first thing you need to do is getting them to define the non-objective terms they are using. Anyone who is trying to intimidate you by claiming that you can't disprove God, challenges you and say you are just cowardly hiding behind "the burden of proof "argument can be be equally easily intimidated by just asking them to define these terms.
On occasion they can define them but you will see that, as the discussion progresses, the opponent will start to shape-shift and redefine the things he claimed. (I think that is why Matt Dillahunty of "The atheist experience" is taking notes while discussing)
On other occasion you will get a definition that 't so volatile that it is impossible to even start disproving.

Again...
deliver me both definitions. I'll be happy to try and disprove "God" under that term. I'll fail, but we will probably learn a lot.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
31-05-2011, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2011 10:33 AM by Efrx86.)
@SumAtheosMagnus: there is about as much solid proof of the non-existence of a god as solid proof of the non-existence of fairies

Though if you have to argue with Christians often you may want to check out this website: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/

I don't go by the whole "God? Which god? Zeus, Mithra, Allah, Odin, Yahweh, the golden calf?" thing that a lot of people use. I've seen the argument used against religious people and they retort with "well at least those cultures agreed with us about the fact that there is a higher power". So when I hear or read arguments for or against the existence of God I take it as trying to prove/disprove theism altogether and the concepts it carries (a supreme being / higher power, the supernatural, the afterlife, etc).

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
31-05-2011, 11:24 AM
It's the "Russel's teapot" argument.
It's like believing there's a teapot orbiting the sun. It's small enough that we can't see it but does that make sense to believe it with no proof ?
I'm not sure there's a teapot there , but there's no point to assume there is one until proven otherwise.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-05-2011, 12:16 PM
The problem of evil proves that the 3-omni god of the Bible is a logical impossibility.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
31-05-2011, 03:32 PM
For me you cannot have proof that a deity does not exist, simply as I define proof. Proof is mathematical. But as for evidence, there is a bit of that, but none that completely rules out the possibility.

For example, wouldn't we expect to see religions converging to a single similar god concept within a religion or between religions (that is, if god wants to make his presence known and isn't deistic), but we just don't see that. There are more gods than believers.

Also, if we expect to see evidence that a god exists, and we don't see it, then we can conclude that the god doesn't exist. That is not to say that all god concepts are disproven, just that it is likely that the sort of god that would intervene and make his presence known likely does not exist.

Aside from that, you do have to know where the burden of proof lies. The theists make the claim that god exists, and so they have a burden of proof associated with that. If an atheist were to claim there is no god, then he would have a burden of proof for that. Agnostics who claim you cannot know amusingly also have a burden of proof.
For every positive claim, there is a burden of proof.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
31-05-2011, 05:11 PM

(31-05-2011 01:58 AM)SumAtheosMagnus Wrote:  You know how it goes.
Just happily write below solid facts and proof that god doesn't exist.
OK, give this a shot.
Firstly, we have to arrive at a consensus as to what god is, that you're speaking about.

Is there only one?
Is god all knowing, everywhere present, all powerful, infinite?
Does everything originate from god, the source? Therefore no matter what name god is called, there can be only one source and thus all religions god's are worshiping that one infinite, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, omni-genetic creator?

If you answer yes and agree to all of the above, let us move on to what is said to be god's word.

This passage is from the Christians Bible and addresses the claim, the 'truth' that god gives to those who ask.

Luke 11:10 (King James Version)

10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Since you asked us for solid proof god doesn't exist, I ask you to read that passage again and then ask god to give you 1 million dollars in cash, to arrive in your possession within one hour of reading this.

Say it aloud, pray, meditate, whatever means you feel is fitting for you to do as god says is possible by his word and ask for 1 million dollars to be given you within one hours time. And no one can not shirk this challenge by citing another bible verse that relates well after this Luke passage that all things occur in god's time.
God is everywhere present and all knowing. Therefore god knows you need cash, which in god's realm means nothing to him. And god did say what is recorded as his word in Luke 11:10. And since we've agreed that god is, and no matter the faith all religions names for god refer to the one and only god, then these words of god are his promise.
When you have 1 million dollars in cash, one hour after you read this and then ask god for that in your own way, take a digital picture of the money held in your own hands and post it as a follow-up reply in this thread. .

If you are a millionaire in 60 minutes, god exists. If you are not, god does not exist.
Because the Luke passage does not equivocate. Ask and it shall be granted unto you. If it is not, god does not exist. But the men who wrote Luke, did.

And they lied.
Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2011, 06:15 PM
(31-05-2011 08:35 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(31-05-2011 08:29 AM)BnW Wrote:  How can you prove that something does not exist? It is logically impossible to do this.

Not quite. It's logically impossible to prove that something as loosely defined as a god does not exist. You can prove that things don't exist. It just depends on how they are defined.

For example, I can prove that "the man that murdered me this morning" does not exist, because I was not murdered this morning. We can't disprove a god because "god" is not concretely defined.

Where ever did you find a knife small enough and sharp enough to split that hair?

Tongue

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
31-05-2011, 06:38 PM
You might want to consider reexamining your needs.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
31-05-2011, 07:01 PM

(31-05-2011 06:15 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(31-05-2011 08:35 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

Where ever did you find a knife small enough and sharp enough to split that hair?

Tongue
[Image: 3.gif] He broke the 8th Commandment and stole it from Pat Robertson's knife block?

Yes, no, maybe? Tongue
Quote this message in a reply