I Need Solid Proof God Doesn't Exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2011, 03:43 AM

RE: I Need Solid Proof God Doesn't Exist
My first post here (woot!). Moving on.

If you want proof of the non-existence of a deity, then you are charged with proving the existence of your deity. We can't prove that your god doesn't exist. You could call your puppy a god and we couldn't prove that it's not a god but you need to prove to that it actually is a deity.

TL;DR: Prove to me that your god is real. We can't disprove a bullshit idea of yours.
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2011, 09:18 AM
(18-07-2011 08:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2011 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Science.

Science is God, as far as we know.

No.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Don't know what a logical or mathematical proof would look like. But in my mind the simple fact that no theist I've ever read, talked to or heard of can define what this God thing is. Pretty hard for me to believe something is real if you can't tell me what the heck it is.

Even more convincing evidence that the Christian God does not exist in my mind is the fact that there is so little agreement among his followers. A being that was all powerful and loved his creation would do a lot better job of communicating with his children.

I don't pretend these are iron clad logical arguments, they are just some of the ways I'm convinced that the Biblcal god does not exist.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2011, 04:34 PM
They sound pretty good to me. The fact that "It" just happens to look a 'ell of a lot like us, and just happens to agree with everything "they" agree with, is rather suspicious.
Even one significant difference in either would go a long way.

Your second argument is one that I often think about. If it was omnipotent, why didn't it just hand out iPods to the disciples, and disclose radio and TV technology back when, or if it was all loving, tell us how to do coronary artery bypasses, or disclose the cure for Polio, if it really was so important that everyone get the message. Cool

I know...."dog works in mysterious ways". Gimme a break.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-07-2011, 07:21 PM
(19-07-2011 09:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

No.

Yes.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
19-07-2011, 08:23 PM

G'day Girly. Believers want god to be "perfectly good"!
Science is morally neutral not "perfectly good".
~~~~~Mr Woof
20-07-2011, 10:57 AM
(19-07-2011 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-07-2011 09:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

No.

Yes.

Science by definition deals with the physical and natural, and god by definition is supernatural, so no, science can't answer the question of the existence of god. It can, on the other hand, disprove other myths commonly associated with god, like the young earth, the flood, etc.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post
20-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Agree, but with the caveat that :
We don't waste our time trying to disprove the Illiad and the Odyssey. If the authors of at least some of the texts, ((for example the really old ones cobbled together from their many oral traditions, (Genesis)) never intended them to be anything other than mythology, then maybe a different reading of some of them may be in order.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
20-07-2011, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2011 08:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-07-2011 08:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Science is God, as far as we know.

(19-07-2011 08:23 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  G'day Girly. Believers want god to be "perfectly good"!
~~~~~Mr Woof

(20-07-2011 10:57 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  Science by definition deals with the physical and natural, and god by definition is supernatural, so no, science can't answer the question of the existence of god. It can, on the other hand, disprove other myths commonly associated with god, like the young earth, the flood, etc.

Also the mathematical and the logical. I must've been too flippant or obtuse. I'll try to rephrase. Science is the closest thing we have to God.

And there are some philosophers, notably Spinoza, who argued that "God" and "Nature" are synonymous. So in his view Science and it's effort to know "Nature" (i.e. "God") is the only religion.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-07-2011, 08:44 PM
(20-07-2011 07:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2011 08:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Science is God, as far as we know.

(19-07-2011 08:23 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  G'day Girly. Believers want god to be "perfectly good"!
~~~~~Mr Woof

(20-07-2011 10:57 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  Science by definition deals with the physical and natural, and god by definition is supernatural, so no, science can't answer the question of the existence of god. It can, on the other hand, disprove other myths commonly associated with god, like the young earth, the flood, etc.

Also the mathematical and the logical. I must've been too flippant or obtuse. I'll try to rephrase. Science is the closest thing we have to God.

And there are some philosophers, notably Spinoza, who argued that "God" and "Nature" are synonymous. So in his view Science and it's effort to know "Nature" (i.e. "God") is the only religion.

Are you arguing for pantheism?

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.