I Need Solid Proof God Doesn't Exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2011, 11:05 PM
RE: I Need Solid Proof God Doesn't Exist
It doesn't need to be an argument for pantheism. It's all in how you interpret 'god'

Stephen Hawkings 'God' is the physical laws that embody and govern the universe. I suppose that is pantheism in a sense though the laws of physics are tangible and impersonal.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2011, 11:00 AM
(20-07-2011 07:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2011 08:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Science is God, as far as we know.

(19-07-2011 08:23 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  G'day Girly. Believers want god to be "perfectly good"!
Science is morally neutral not "perfectly good".
~~~~~Mr Woof

(20-07-2011 10:57 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  Science by definition deals with the physical and natural, and god by definition is supernatural, so no, science can't answer the question of the existence of god. It can, on the other hand, disprove other myths commonly associated with god, like the young earth, the flood, etc.

Also the mathematical and the logical. I must've been too flippant or obtuse. I'll try to rephrase. Science is the closest thing we have to God.

And there are some philosophers, notably Spinoza, who argued that "God" and "Nature" are synonymous. So in his view Science and it's effort to know "Nature" (i.e. "God") is the only religion.

This simply brings us back to the earlier objections that logic can be used for example to show that the 3-omni god is logically inconsistent. But we need a good definition of "god" first. Since as others have pointed out, there's about as many definitions of god as there are believers, it's quite fair to expect the believer to show his/her particular flavor of deity exists.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
21-07-2011, 03:40 PM
(21-07-2011 11:00 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  But we need a good definition of "god" first.

Aye, there's the rub. I'm still feeling in my gut what I said in my first post here that there is a God and it is us.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-07-2011, 06:26 PM
(21-07-2011 03:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2011 11:00 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  But we need a good definition of "god" first.

Aye, there's the rub. I'm still feeling in my gut what I said in my first post here that there is a God and it is us.

Wonderful... prove it!!! Big Grin

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
21-07-2011, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2011 08:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-07-2011 06:26 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  Wonderful... prove it!!! Big Grin

Why? Even if I did prove it I understand and formally appreciate the limits of logic discovered by Godel the Destroyer. They are irrefutably insurmountable. Logic and reason are provably inadequate to be God.

22-07-2011, 09:18 AM
(21-07-2011 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Why? Even if I did prove it I understand and formally appreciate the limits of logic discovered by Godel the Destroyer. They are irrefutably insurmountable. Logic and reason are provably inadequate to be God.

You are talking but I am not sure any logic is coming out....

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2011, 10:36 AM
When I hear phrases like nature, science, logic or reason being called "god" I wonder why? We have perfectly adequate words for those things and throwing the "G" word around adds nothing but confusion. It reminds my of a line from Macbeth, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nontheocrat's post
22-07-2011, 10:51 AM
(22-07-2011 10:36 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  When I hear phrases like nature, science, logic or reason being called "god" I wonder why? We have perfectly adequate words for those things and throwing the "G" word around adds nothing but confusion. It reminds my of a line from Macbeth, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

It's interesting when people simply decide a word is going to have a new synonym, and that synonym is going to be... "god"! Like "nature" or "us" or "the laws of physics" or whatever. And they make so that because they say it is so, that's it, they don't need to explain anything else.

22-07-2011, 10:57 AM
(22-07-2011 10:36 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  When I hear phrases like nature, science, logic or reason being called "god" I wonder why? We have perfectly adequate words for those things and throwing the "G" word around adds nothing but confusion. It reminds my of a line from Macbeth, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Agree. no one has defined what the "g" word actually means, or what "supernatural" means. Until that happens it DOES "signify nothing". I suspect in working through that definition it will become obvious that in the end it DOES actually have no real meaning, (singular), but perhaps countless meanings, (in fact as many meanings as those whose neurological/cognitive systems use and think about that word).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-07-2011, 05:33 PM
(22-07-2011 09:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-07-2011 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

You are talking but I am not sure any logic is coming out....

Fair enough. But now I get to ask "Do you understand and formally appreciate Godel's incompleteness theorems?"