I SO want to support this!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2017, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 01:32 AM by Oaken.)
I SO want to support this!
What a breath of fresh air and excitement to learn on Facebook that there is a Humanist group in Uganda that has a Humanist primary school and works to educate people in Humanist values. I can't tell you how many Christian this or Christian that I have seen spread like mold all over the world. In fact, when I went to Bible school many years ago I planned on being a missionary but, even then, felt that the Christian message was so bland and sterile. It did almost nothing to make this life better and instead promised people that things would be better in the next life. So, I am so touched to find that you can donate money to this Humanist group that will help make THIS LIFE BETTER and pay for condoms and female condoms for people. And has schools and an orphanage. That is so important. You can also donate to have sheds built, teachers salaries paid, MEDICINE for people, and Humanist schooling for needy people. (I am no way affiliated with this group and just found out about it.) I am posting it to Positive Atheism because THIS is super positive to me and gave me huge smiles as I sat in the parking lot of Trader Joes. FINALLY, a group that values contraception and education instead of stupid superstition.

So, please move this if it is out of place but THIS is what positive Atheism means to me. And I would love to support groups like this. If you know of any others PLEASE let me know. THANKS.

Brighter Brains

Bizoha Humanist Center

Africa Humanists

A Free Atheist Orphanage E-book

No Gods No Savior E-Book

[Image: Good_Photo_Mis.jpg]

UPDATE: I changed my Amazon Smiles charity to BRIGHTER BRAINS of Piedmont California.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Oaken's post
21-08-2017, 10:34 PM
RE: I SO want to support this!
I don't know why it affected me so much. Probably because I grew up with Assembly of God proselytizing and missions trips and wanted to see something with substance. I actually skipped out on my high school graduation and sold my car so I could spend a month on a missions trip in Tepic, Mexico. I remember doing street ministry (skits and preaching) and one side of my brain was so sure of myself, and the other side was thinking that the message I was bringing had very little to make their day to day lives better. I slept on the floor of a former brothel and the people running the ministry seemed nice, but strange at the same time. And they were hated in the neighborhood. I thought then it was because the "world" hated the light. But, now it was probably because the father was weird. I just remembered that sock puppets were no match for the poverty I saw. And people were begging me to speak to them and it made me cry that I couldn't understand their language. It felt like a wham bam thank you mam kind of daily missions thing. (Jesus loves you. Get saved. See ya later!)

I am disgusted by the way white televangelists have preyed upon Africa, and on how non-white local evangelists have tried to play copy cat in mimicking Benny Hinn and faith healers. The videos of conning followers to drink gasoline and eat grass. To give away the few coins of money they have. I hated it.

I used to argue with pastors on pastors.net how the poor in Africa needed birth control and education. They slammed me so hard for that. They bragged that the Africans SHOULD die of AIDS for having sex outside of marriage and judged me that I was standing in the way of God for trying to stop the spread of HIV.

Anyways, I just realized I am typing a lot again, so I will stop here. I am just glad to see Humanist primary schools and birth control and education and emotional support for poor people in Uganda. Thanks for reading.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
21-08-2017, 10:48 PM
They gonna get themselves killed.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
21-08-2017, 11:55 PM
(21-08-2017 10:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They gonna get themselves killed.

Maybe, but I would like to breathe my last knowing that there were people like that in areas like that, and that I supported them while I was here.

22-08-2017, 08:27 PM
(21-08-2017 11:55 PM)Oaken Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 10:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They gonna get themselves killed.

Maybe, but I would like to breathe my last knowing that there were people like that in areas like that, and that I supported them while I was here.

Why not take your last breath being a person like that?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-08-2017, 09:14 PM
(22-08-2017 08:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 11:55 PM)Oaken Wrote:  Maybe, but I would like to breathe my last knowing that there were people like that in areas like that, and that I supported them while I was here.

Why not take your last breath being a person like that?

I guess (being honest) that an evangelistic zeal has continued to color my life even though I don't believe in a god any more. I have had a sheltered life and would like to live loud and proud for a bit, but, if I was to die, I would think it was an epic thing to die in a field where I was helping others.

As far as the Humanist orphanage goes, and the primary school, I was thinking that I would like to use my writing talents to create some fiction stories that teach Humanistic values to kids, especially in areas like that. Not writing to make money, but writing things that schools like that could use.

22-08-2017, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2017 10:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-08-2017 09:14 PM)Oaken Wrote:  
(22-08-2017 08:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why not take your last breath being a person like that?

I guess (being honest) that an evangelistic zeal has continued to color my life even though I don't believe in a god any more. I have had a sheltered life and would like to live loud and proud for a bit, but, if I was to die, I would think it was an epic thing to die in a field where I was helping others.

As far as the Humanist orphanage goes, and the primary school, I was thinking that I would like to use my writing talents to create some fiction stories that teach Humanistic values to kids, especially in areas like that. Not writing to make money, but writing things that schools like that could use.

I know that feeling. I'm fixing to retire soon and then I'm gonna drive around giving McDonalds Happy Meals, half-pint of Gilbey's, a joint, and my old underwear and socks to homeless people. Kinda like an urban survival kit. First I'm gonna spend the $2K to establish a non-profit so that the rest of you are paying for those Happy Meals and Gilbey's too. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

#sigh