I Talked to a priest on the radio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I Talked to a priest on the radio
I was stuck in traffic and flipping around on Sirius I heard someone sat ATHEIST and stopped to listen. I decided to call and ask a few questions. I didn't want to come across as confrontational so I said I am married to an atheist who has posed some questions that I can't answer and its really bothering me. The priest seemed friendly so I said..... My wife told me about something in Titus and Timothy that says women should be subservient and she also asked me to count up all the people God killed in the Old Testament and I said " I was do stunned. I went to catholic HS and never knew about this. I feel so ignorant"
His response was shocking units inadequacy. First he said you can't take this piece a d that piece from the bible and have it make sense. Also these are just stories because God had to tell these violent stories so that people would know he's the one true god. He also said that the bible isn't the only way god communicates with us and the Holy Spirit shows us god's ways. That's really all we had. I asked him these murders did or didn't happen. He just repeated himself. I was raised catholic and, honestly, enjoyed my HS. Overall a positive experience so I'm not angry but I just don't believe. I thought he'd have more for me to think about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chrisinfp's post
24-05-2013, 03:45 PM
RE: I Talked to a priest on the radio
Well...I am not sure what to say. Maybe it's just me...but this post seems kinda disjointed...

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

24-05-2013, 04:18 PM
It certainly is disjointed. I was in a rush and didn't look it over after I typed it.
All that I really wanted to say was that I called into the catholic channel on Sirius. I was in traffic and was flipping around the radio. I wasn't even aware that there was a catholic station. I asked the priest about the murders in old test, the sexism in the bible , and if Anne Frank is in hell. These are the topics I find religious people usually have trouble explaining. The priest seemed well informed and i was hoping to gain insight from an intelligent believer.
What surprised me was how poorly he answered my questions. He had no real answers of substance and simply said that you can't take one story from the bible and examine it. He said the bible needs to be read and comprehended as a whole. He also said that Catholics should look for the Holy Spirit and not just the bible for guidance because god's message is revealed daily through the holy spirit.
His main point was that the bible was inspired by god with the aim of instilling fear into non- believers and the stories of murder/genocide should be seen in that light.
24-05-2013, 04:42 PM
(24-05-2013 04:18 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  It certainly is disjointed. I was in a rush and didn't look it over after I typed it.
All that I really wanted to say was that I called into the catholic channel on Sirius. I was in traffic and was flipping around the radio. I wasn't even aware that there was a catholic station. I asked the priest about the murders in old test, the sexism in the bible , and if Anne Frank is in hell. These are the topics I find religious people usually have trouble explaining. The priest seemed well informed and i was hoping to gain insight from an intelligent believer.
What surprised me was how poorly he answered my questions. He had no real answers of substance and simply said that you can't take one story from the bible and examine it. He said the bible needs to be read and comprehended as a whole. He also said that Catholics should look for the Holy Spirit and not just the bible for guidance because god's message is revealed daily through the holy spirit.
His main point was that the bible was inspired by god with the aim of instilling fear into non- believers and the stories of murder/genocide should be seen in that light.

Ah yea ok! Catholic priests today rarely say what they think or even what they believe. They water stuff down...like about the holy spirit -- it's a way to avoid actually answering questions they simply don't know. Or they don't want to answer out of fear of pissing people off. Finaly thanks for explaining it! Lol.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

31-05-2013, 11:37 AM
(24-05-2013 04:18 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  He had no real answers of substance ...
I've been married to a Catholic for 44 years. In my experience any expectation of "real answers of substance" from a priest is unrealistic. It just doesn't happen.

I don't know everything, but I'm working on it.
01-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Most Christians usually fold under those questions. Because if they say yes, then they piss people off. If they so no, then they've disproved their own religious text.

Prog rock extraordinaire at your service
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
(31-05-2013 11:37 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 04:18 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  He had no real answers of substance ...
I've been married to a Catholic for 44 years. In my experience any expectation of "real answers of substance" from a priest is unrealistic. It just doesn't happen.

Substance goes out the window wherever faith in inserted.

BTW congrats on 44 years!

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption