I Talked with Mormons for 2 Hours...(very long)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 02:53 PM
RE: I Talked with Mormons for 2 Hours...(very long)
(30-07-2017 02:16 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 10:14 AM)TSG Wrote:  I wouldn't call my conversation inspirational, but I think I would probably say it was enlightening, just for the insight it gave me into the theistic mind. The common ground I found came from the close proximity of our ages, and despite the fact that I don't believe any of their claims, I find Mormonism, like other religions, fascinating, and I could read about religion for hours. Maybe that's why I had so many questions and the conversation stretched out for 2 hours...

As for the underwear, yeah.... I was going to word it something like "What sorts of garments do members of your church wear to show their devotion?"

Two questions:

Why do you assume there is just one theistic mindset?

How thoroughly do you understand every experience and way of being that you can assume all religious folk would be better off giving them up? (Please note I am not questioning whether or not their beliefs are true, just the basis for your assumption that they would be better off without them.)

1. I didn't? Of course every theist is an individual with varying pasts and perspectives. But what they have in common is that they believe something that either isn't evidently true, or in many cases, in something that is demonstrably false.

2. Is it not better to think rationally about every aspect of life, in order to come as close as possible to the most accurate conclusions about reality? And that's just in general. Some denominations and religions espouse beliefs that are not only patently false, but actively harmful to society. There are people who let their kids die from easily treated diseases because they believed that faith healing was effective. There are people who beat their kids because "spare the rod, spoil the child." Even in the cases of these two Mormons they believe that homosexuality is a choice and contrary to God's law. It is neither. Imagine a gay child growing up in a Mormon household, wondering what is wrong with him, having to suppress his sexuality for the sake of combating his 'sin.' These beliefs can get otherwise good people to do reprehensible things whose only support is from holy books that are inaccurate and doctrine that has no authority.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TSG's post
30-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Good write up.

Thank you.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-07-2017, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2017 06:38 PM by TSG.)
(30-07-2017 05:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Good write up.

Thank you.

No, thank you.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
31-07-2017, 07:38 AM
(30-07-2017 12:11 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 09:20 PM)TSG Wrote:  The first thing I asked was the reason why they weren't allowed to enter my mother's house without an 18 year old male present (oh yeah, forgot to mention that bit. They talked with my mother in the hall or in the park whenever they came over). Apparently it was just a "precaution" from scandal. It was my impression there may have been a specific incident in the church's history where a missionary seduced a single woman, and thus the church didn't want to risk it. o]

It might be connected with the sex in chains case forty years ago. It was well publicized at the time.

The Mormon sex in chains case was a widely reported scandal involving a sexual assault by an American woman, Joyce McKinney, on a young American male Mormon missionary, Kirk Anderson, in England in 1977. According to Anderson, he had been abducted by McKinney from the steps of a church meetinghouse, chained to a bed and raped by her.

Joyce McKinney scandal 1977

It might be that, or it might be more cultural. Or maybe its a mixture of both.

In religious Jewish circles, a individual man and woman who are unmarried and unrelated would not be known to be alone in a home (and if they were intending it, they wouldn't announce it). Putting yourself into a situation like that gives the opportunity for the appearance of impropriety, even if no impropriety occurs. It also gives one party an opportunity to accuse the other party of sexual misconduct, and these naive boys are walking into the homes of total strangers.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
31-07-2017, 10:06 AM
You mentioned asking about the fact that horses, cows and other farm animals were not in the Americas 2000 years ago. Did you also ask about the fact that BoM claims that American Indians are the decendents of the Jews who left Jerusalem in 621 BC and came to America. But all DNA evidence shows the Jews and Indians have no genetic connection whatsoever? This is a nice question to ask. Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Were you stoned? I hope you were stoned.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-07-2017, 10:27 AM
(31-07-2017 07:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Putting yourself into a situation like that gives the opportunity for the appearance of impropriety, even if no impropriety occurs.

Jews make excellent Government employees. Smile ... Except for that Pollard guy. ... And the Rosenbergs.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-07-2017, 11:03 AM
(31-07-2017 10:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You mentioned asking about the fact that horses, cows and other farm animals were not in the Americas 2000 years ago. Did you also ask about the fact that BoM claims that American Indians are the decendents of the Jews who left Jerusalem in 621 BC and came to America. But all DNA evidence shows the Jews and Indians have no genetic connection whatsoever? This is a nice question to ask. Evil_monster

Duh. The Jews today aren't the real Jews. They're pretenders who are genetically European. That's why they have no historical claim to the land that no one wanted until the fake Jews started moving there.
31-07-2017, 11:04 AM
(31-07-2017 07:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Putting yourself into a situation like that gives the opportunity for the appearance of impropriety, even if no impropriety occurs. It also gives one party an opportunity to accuse the other party of sexual misconduct, and these naive boys are walking into the homes of total strangers.

Yes

This is exactly why none of the faculty I've worked with (self included), except my Chair, will ever close their doors while meeting with a student (male or female). The only exception being when he student has to discuss private details, and even then, only for that period.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
31-07-2017, 11:09 AM
(31-07-2017 10:27 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 07:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Putting yourself into a situation like that gives the opportunity for the appearance of impropriety, even if no impropriety occurs.

Jews make excellent Government employees. Smile ... Except for that Pollard guy. ... And the Rosenbergs.

And the Kushners. Don't forget the Kushners. -Wait, are any of them official government employees? Doesn't matter. They have the appearance of being government officials.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post