I Think Atheists Actually Believe in God

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
06-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Smile I Think Atheists Actually Believe in God
I think atheists, at least the atheists that hang out in forums such as this, know full well that God exists. I don’t think they’re ignorant at all. In fact, I’ll bet they pray more often and more directly than most so-called religious people do. Granted, their prayers are probably nothing more than insults and complaining, but I’ll bet they pray all the same.

Most atheists seem to be in rebellion against religion. They think God must be the Christian or Islamic or Jewish notions of God, and they think they are enlightened because they reject those notions. But how enlightened can that be? I mean seriously, of course God can’t be like that anymore than He is like Zeus or Apollo. These primitive revelations of God are just that—primitive, so how long can one dispute them before seeming to be primitive themselves?

I’ve always found atheism to be a kind of half-baked rationality. In other words to deny the existence of God, they have to ignore certain obvious things: Why is there something rather than nothing? How can consciousness arise from unconscious matter? The universe began, but what began it? And why is Jesus Christ such an enduring presence in the consciousness of humanity? Why do we seem to understand perfection with no examples of it? Why is there order in what seems to be a chaotic quantum reality? An atheist will tell you they just don’t know; can’t know; one day will know, or some other dodge. And yet, atheists are more aware of the arguments for God’s existence than the religious are. They know there’s only one explanation.

I think atheists are looking for faith, and the only way they can come close to feeling it is to deny it and have others argue against them. But they will still be held responsible in the end, because faith is a two-way street. God reaches out to you, and you, in turn, reach out to God.
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 02:27 PM
RE: I Think Atheists Actually Believe in God
damn...
busted

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Observer's post
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Interesting points re

something rather than nothing
consciousness from unconsciousness
beginning of the universe
order from chaos

These ones are more boring:
JC
perfection

Just wanted to pull those out for discussion before everyone jumps on you for telling us what we believe Wink They are questions which deserve contemplation.

We (or at least I, since I can't speak for all of us) genuinely don't believe in God though - I genuinely don't go to bed at night thinking "shit I hope God isn't too pissed off with me that I keep denying him like this".

What you are repeating with that is a tired old canard which is easy for people who want to believe it to accept, since a guy who rejects their worldview tends to make them feel uncomfortable. A Muslim is much less threatening because you can always say "well he knows about God, he just got the details wrong".
06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Well they have answered one of these, the consciousness one. A mutation occurred about 200,000 years ago that allowed us to rationalize. It spread and now we can pointlessly argue on things that we will not know until we die.

Under Repair.
06-04-2012, 02:37 PM
(06-04-2012 02:34 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Well they have answered one of these, the consciousness one. A mutation occurred about 200,000 years ago that allowed us to rationalize. It spread and now we can pointlessly argue on things that we will not know until we die.
Pretty sure that we'll just be decomposing after we die, and during we'll just be thinking "oh shi..." Tongue
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  I think
First issue with your statement.
You don't think, you simply believe what you are told.
[+] 9 users Like Stevil's post
06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
YES! because this makes sense. "I don't know how things work so god must have done it." Do you have any idea how stupid you make yourself look with this kind of half-assed argument? Not to mention that you group all atheists together under the impression that we all have the same reason for not believing in any kind of deity. This is foolishness! I expect at least "some" rational thought from an adult.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 02:57 PM by Stevil.)
(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  I don’t think they’re ignorant at all.
Issue No 2
Belief in gods relies on scientific ignorance, this is why the ID movement is hell bent on pointing out gaps in scientific knowledge rather than evidence for their brand of god. Without the gaps, there would be no place for gods to exist.
Disbelief in gods simply relies on rejection of assertions and assumptions. There is nothing to be ignorant of, theology is of a metaphysical realm (concepts), that which is unobservable, hence there is no evidence, no proof, nothing that can be tested or confirmed.

(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  I’ll bet they pray
Issue 3
Atheists don't pray, it would take a person separated by several degrees from reality to think that atheists pray.

(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  Most atheists seem to be in rebellion against religion.
Issue 4
Atheists are against the oppression that religious people wish to bestow on their communities e.g. anti homosexual movements, anti science movements, anti abortions movements...

(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  They think God must be the Christian or Islamic or Jewish notions of God,
Issue 5
Atheists disbelieve in any notion of gods. There can't be a flavour of something that doesn't exist.
[+] 10 users Like Stevil's post
06-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Uh-huh; my Gwynnies! Big Grin

It is my contention that morality is a form of chemical intelligence and as such we all have an itch to be moral and insist upon what is right. Without the defining paradigm of an extant god figure, atheists turn to methodologies like reason and science in order to scratch this moral itch. In this manner, theists would be "inside the circle" of "god exists;" atheists outside in the realm of god does not exist. However, the continuing failure of theists is to assume god requires existence, definition, and name.

There is no circle, grasshopper. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 03:05 PM by Stevil.)
(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  Why is there something rather than nothing?
How can consciousness arise from unconscious matter?
The universe began, but what began it?
Issue 6.
The answer to these things from the Atheist perspective is that we don't know, we are not about to jump to silly conclusions of supernatural beings.

(06-04-2012 02:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  And why is Jesus Christ such an enduring presence in the consciousness of humanity?
Issue 7.
It might have something to do with heretics being killed, burned at the stake and Christian based empires killing and conquering other nations and imposing their own lifestyle onto the conquered.

Issue 8
Ah fuck it!
The original post is such rubbish. A mind that created the post must be such a mess. I'll stop critiquing the OP now.
To think, you have been hanging out in atheist forums for a while now and you just don't have a clue about the atheist position.
[+] 6 users Like Stevil's post