I Think Atheists Actually Believe in God

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
15-04-2012, 08:11 AM
RE: I Think Atheists Actually Believe in God
(06-04-2012 03:15 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  I read somewhere on someones signature that a Skeptic is what an idealist calls a realist.
I thought it was that a cynic is what an idealist calls a realist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Egor, please define ....
Egor, please define the "legitimate religious experience" that is excluded from the definition of mental illness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Most people who are non-religious wouldn't claim that god could not exist. Instead, we stipulate that a universal god probably doesn't exist.

However, any particular theist deity is easy to dismiss. I can without question or doubt tell you that said god is completely false.
15-04-2012, 01:24 PM

(15-04-2012 11:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Egor, please define the "legitimate religious experience" that is excluded from the definition of mental illness.

People feeling close to God. People praying to God. People believing in God. People feeling God's presence. People saying they believe God has told them something (in the absence of psycotic or delusional thinking), people believing in the Bible. People believing that Joseph Smith was a prophet, etc.

Or at least, that's what I mean when I use the term "legitimate religious experience."
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 01:52 PM
(15-04-2012 01:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 11:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Egor, please define the "legitimate religious experience" that is excluded from the definition of mental illness.

People feeling close to God. People praying to God. People believing in God. People feeling God's presence. People saying they believe God has told them something (in the absence of psycotic or delusional thinking), people believing in the Bible. People believing that Joseph Smith was a prophet, etc.

Or at least, that's what I mean when I use the term "legitimate religious experience."

Usually means I just gotta adjust the dosage next time.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2012, 02:46 PM
(15-04-2012 01:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  

These things don't qualifiy as proof, if I might add. Many pagans feel these things with their gods, so its not excluded to Jesus.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
15-04-2012, 04:54 PM
(15-04-2012 02:46 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 01:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  People feeling close to God. People praying to God. People believing in God. People feeling God's presence. People saying they believe God has told them something (in the absence of psycotic or delusional thinking), people believing in the Bible. People believing that Joseph Smith was a prophet, etc.

These things don't qualifiy as proof, if I might add. Many pagans feel these things with their gods, so its not excluded to Jesus.
And in this case he wasnt asked to prove, but to define so your point is moot. And its easy define, here you go.

Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides a right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
This includes the freedom to change a religion or belief, and to
manifest a religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and
observance, subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with
law" and "necessary in a democratic society"

Article 9 – Freedom of thought, conscience and religion
1. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and
religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief
and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or
private, and to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching,
practice and observance.

2. Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject
only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a
democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the
protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of
the rights and freedoms of others.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_9_o...man_Rights

Of course, individual countries also "guarentee" and legitimise the freedom of religion indepently as well.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 02:10 AM

Thank you, Humkat.
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Veridician,

Just go to the definition first of atheists.These are the people who don't believe in a deity or god/s. Most or even all of us have a strong conviction in us that we don't believe in God. Your accusations may be applicable to agnostics, but to us not. We believe because we have rationalized. If you ever preach to us, make sure that it's true. Don't be a dumbass, dude.

A.L. Luna
16-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Atheists are not looking for faith, atheists already looked and found the final destination. It is theists who are scattered along the path, at various points, trying to stop the faster people down and are or should be looking for something. Once you are at the end of the path, you know what lies there and have no need to search and imagine what could be there. If you excuse "metaphors".