I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Sad I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...
Hello everyone,
I apologise in advance if this turns out to be a long post. I'll put a TL;DR at the end.

Okay, so basically I think I might have brainwashed myself and it's really screwing me up. Long story turned short, I'm 26, from a nominally christian household. I became an atheist at aged 13 and stayed that way happily until the age of 21. At 21 I got sick, very sick, with M.E. and it turned my entire life upside down. As a distraction I began researching religion, I've always been fascinated by religion so it was an interesting time, I spent a lot of time watching youtube videos and reading books from a primarily christian perspective. I figured I already knew the atheist side of the argument so I wanted to study it from the 'other side' so to speak.

This continued for, I shit you not, the next 5 years. As I struggled to cope with myillness I began to try to 'make myself' believe. I began to think that maybe I would be like all those people who have devestating illnesses then 'find god' and life becomes worth living again. I spent so long trying to see things from other people's perspective that I lost sight of my own.

Most recently, in the last 2 years I've gotten heavily into woo. It started with Paganism and has since branched into law of attraction, angels, crystals, psychics, astrology, mediums, soul contracts and so on. I listen to a podcast all the time hosted by a couple of mediums, I listened to a lot of audiobooks, I even read spiritual magazines. Yet, buried deep down, there is a part of me that tries to resist it. There is a part of me that screams that the law of attraction is bullshit, soul contracts are offensive victim blaming, mediums are sociopathic con-artists and angels don't exist. Then there's all the guilt that maybe my bad attitude is the reason that I'm ill and there's some lesson I need to learn.

The trouble is I always come back to it. I'm sort of half-convinced that the key to all my problems can be found through this stuff. I need to do visualisations, have a past life regression, suppress all my negative thoughts. And there is always the implicit threat that if I don't then my life will get even worse. It's scary. I feel like I've lost myself. I'd love to break away but I do half-believe all this. I worry that I will miss out on the chance to have a better life via all the new-age 'healing' stuff (connecting with angels, past life regression, energy work, law of attraction) and that if I accept a 'negative' perspective then those vibrations will attract more misery.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/tips for how to get out of this stuff? It's damaging my mental health, I'm anxious, stressed, don't even know who I am anymore, sometimes think I might be going mad. But how do I let go of the fear?

Thanks a lot if you've read all that!

TL;DR: I'm bought into a lot of new-age woo and I've lost my own identity in the process. How do I let go of these beliefs and their associated scare-mongering about 'attracting' bad things into your life?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2016, 10:54 AM
RE: I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...
Welcome to the forum....

Believe 1/4 of what you see - 1/8 of what you hear and even less of what you read....

Starting with this reply.

Then you're 1/2 way back to skepticism...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Welcome aboard.
So far, I've never heard of magic being the answer to anything. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-08-2016, 11:13 AM
(08-08-2016 10:44 AM)Elexis Wrote:  Hello everyone,
I apologise in advance if this turns out to be a long post. I'll put a TL;DR at the end.

Okay, so basically I think I might have brainwashed myself and it's really screwing me up. Long story turned short, I'm 26, from a nominally christian household. I became an atheist at aged 13 and stayed that way happily until the age of 21. At 21 I got sick, very sick, with M.E. and it turned my entire life upside down. As a distraction I began researching religion, I've always been fascinated by religion so it was an interesting time, I spent a lot of time watching youtube videos and reading books from a primarily christian perspective. I figured I already knew the atheist side of the argument so I wanted to study it from the 'other side' so to speak.

This continued for, I shit you not, the next 5 years. As I struggled to cope with myillness I began to try to 'make myself' believe. I began to think that maybe I would be like all those people who have devestating illnesses then 'find god' and life becomes worth living again. I spent so long trying to see things from other people's perspective that I lost sight of my own.

Most recently, in the last 2 years I've gotten heavily into woo. It started with Paganism and has since branched into law of attraction, angels, crystals, psychics, astrology, mediums, soul contracts and so on. I listen to a podcast all the time hosted by a couple of mediums, I listened to a lot of audiobooks, I even read spiritual magazines. Yet, buried deep down, there is a part of me that tries to resist it. There is a part of me that screams that the law of attraction is bullshit, soul contracts are offensive victim blaming, mediums are sociopathic con-artists and angels don't exist. Then there's all the guilt that maybe my bad attitude is the reason that I'm ill and there's some lesson I need to learn.

The trouble is I always come back to it. I'm sort of half-convinced that the key to all my problems can be found through this stuff. I need to do visualisations, have a past life regression, suppress all my negative thoughts. And there is always the implicit threat that if I don't then my life will get even worse. It's scary. I feel like I've lost myself. I'd love to break away but I do half-believe all this. I worry that I will miss out on the chance to have a better life via all the new-age 'healing' stuff (connecting with angels, past life regression, energy work, law of attraction) and that if I accept a 'negative' perspective then those vibrations will attract more misery.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/tips for how to get out of this stuff? It's damaging my mental health, I'm anxious, stressed, don't even know who I am anymore, sometimes think I might be going mad. But how do I let go of the fear?

Thanks a lot if you've read all that!

TL;DR: I'm bought into a lot of new-age woo and I've lost my own identity in the process. How do I let go of these beliefs and their associated scare-mongering about 'attracting' bad things into your life?
At age 50 I was living in a beat up trailer 12ft x 20 ft paying $350 a month rent in a trailer park and confronting my alcoholism. I was advised I'd have to find a higher power if I wanted to kick it. My recommended counselor was a catholic priest who after a couple of meetings with him he recommended a New Age congregation that was growing rapidly near my home. Having come from Seventh-Day-Adventism the new age stuff was a lot more comfortable than that I had had before. So I jumped in with both feet. Had a lot of fun. Tried the giving of 10% to their church to get y blessings etc.. I began to see auras around some people and believe in what I was being told. BUt as a kid I had been told any number of times "Prove al things, hold fast to that which is right." That is what had finally lead me away from my original religion, and it worked once again. Shout out an affirmation."I have all the money I could possibly desire," then check that bank balance one more time. Sincerely try to believe that which they are telling you. And check it with reality, again and again and then do the same thing manana!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
08-08-2016, 11:14 AM
(08-08-2016 10:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Welcome to the forum....

Believe 1/4 of what you see - 1/8 of what you hear and even less of what you read....

Starting with this reply.

Then you're 1/2 way back to skepticism...

Big Grin

They just got here and you are already throwing math at them, jeez. Big Grin

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
08-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Yikes. One might argue that your brain is in need of a good washing, what with all that crap up there.

Welcome to the forum. This place is just the washbasin you need to debunk all that woo. We'll do our best to be gentle, but please understand if a few of us occasionally come out with a bucket of bleach.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-08-2016, 11:36 AM
There's a difference between understanding rationally that a specific set of ideas is garbage, and fully letting go of those ideas. You're halfway there already.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
10-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks Smile

Quote:I began to see auras around some people and believe in what I was being told. BUt as a kid I had been told any number of times "Prove al things, hold fast to that which is right." That is what had finally lead me away from my original religion, and it worked once again. Shout out an affirmation."I have all the money I could possibly desire," then check that bank balance one more time. Sincerely try to believe that which they are telling you. And check it with reality, again and again and then do the same thing manana!

Yeah the checking the bank balance is a good idea! Funny, neither my health nor wealth has improved since I started on the journey, in fact my wealth has probably gone down with all the money I've wasted on crystals & oracle cards lol.
I'm intrigued by seeing auras! Could you actually 'see' them - like a self induced hallucination? The new age movement is so full of people who see things & hear voices, it's something that's always puzzled me. Unsure

Quote:We'll do our best to be gentle, but please understand if a few of us occasionally come out with a bucket of bleach.
Bring on the bleach, I say. Looking forward to being free of this crap. Big Grin

Quote:There's a difference between understanding rationally that a specific set of ideas is garbage, and fully letting go of those ideas. You're halfway there already.
Yes, that's very true. The emotional attachment is difficult... I guess those of you from a Christian background went through a similar thing with letting go of the emotional connection to God/Jesus etc.?
10-08-2016, 08:01 AM
(10-08-2016 06:48 AM)Elexis Wrote:  I'm intrigued by seeing auras! Could you actually 'see' them - like a self induced hallucination? The new age movement is so full of people who see things & hear voices, it's something that's always puzzled me. [...]

No, so-called auras don't exist in the real world. If you'd like to read a scientific discussion about them, check out this site: http://skepdic.com/auras.html

In parapsychology and spiritual practice, an aura is a field of subtle, luminous radiation surrounding a person or object like the halo or aureola in religious art. The depiction of such an aura often connotes a person of particular power or holiness. It is said that all objects and all living things manifest such an aura.

Often it is held to be perceptible, whether spontaneously or with practice: such perception is at times linked with the third eye of Indian spirituality. Various writers associate various personality traits with the colors of different layers of the aura. It has also been described as a map of the thoughts and feelings surrounding a person.

According to the "Top Training Institution of Vastu", These are some of the typical auras and their interpretations:

[Image: aura-2.jpg]

And this is the device that can capture and record these auras:

[Image: 14042016.jpg]

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
10-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the link, interesting article - loved the James Randi experiment.
Also, is it just me or does the 'universal energy scanner' look like a double-barrelled water pistol?

It's an aspect of the new-age scene I've always found unsettling - the people who claim to hear and see stuff. Most of them are likely lying or kidding themselves but I suspect there's the occasional person with an actual psychological disorder or brain injury. Bit of a worry that if I ever started seeing floating colours (for reals) there are people in my social circle who would advise against seeking medical attention and say I am only seeing auras.... Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Elexis's post