I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2016, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 09:10 AM by Elexis.)
RE: I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...
Well, I've ditched the podcast, that feels better already (reckon it'd basically be impossible to 'deconvert' while listening to round-the-clock drivel). I like the idea of playing with testing stuff out - could use a crystal for 7 days and see if there's any actual difference. Or repeat one of those affirmation mantras (the fact that I've never been able to consistently motivate myself to do affirmations probably tells me I don't actually think they'll work).

That being said, I don't appreciate people being insulting and telling me to 'toughen the fuck up'. I thought this section was meant to be free from that? I wouldn't have posted my story otherwise. And it's not as simple as just pushing myself to go out and do things whether I'm ill or not- I do that, I get worse, much worse, long-term. Good for you that you're able to push yourself. Not an option for me.

Tbh, maybe I shouldn't have posted... I don't think I'm ready to return to atheism any time soon... was more hoping to just water down my beliefs to something more reasonable (like an evangelical Christian who becomes a Unitarian). Wouldn't rule out going back to atheism eventually but for now I still have a strong belief in a higher power and I dunno if it's going anywhere any time soon. :/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Elexis's post
12-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Several people were quite welcoming and understanding and were trying to help.

But, if your decision is to move on in the direction you are on then good luck on your journey.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-08-2016, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 09:21 AM by Elexis.)
Yes, several people were and that is very much appreciated, I'll be using their advice to help me. One person was rude and I think it was uncalled for. If that's acceptable, even in this section of the forum, then this is not the place for me and that's alright.
As I say thanks for the help and understanding that was offered and upon reflection given that atheism is likely a long way off for me this isn't the most appropriate place for me to seek guidance so I'll trouble you no further.
12-08-2016, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 01:24 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
(12-08-2016 09:00 AM)Elexis Wrote:  Yes, several people were and that is very much appreciated, I'll be using their advice to help me. One person was rude and I think it was uncalled for. If that's acceptable, even in this section of the forum, then this is not the place for me and that's alright.
As I say thanks for the help and understanding that was offered and upon reflection given that atheism is likely a long way off for me this isn't the most appropriate place for me to seek guidance so I'll trouble you no further.

Elexis Wrote:
Quote:We'll do our best to be gentle, but please understand if a few of us occasionally come out with a bucket of bleach.

Bring on the bleach, I say. Looking forward to being free of this crap. Big Grin

He gave you the bleach. It really burns in wounds, sorry about that.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-08-2016, 02:24 PM
True, I guess I just didn't expect that degree of harshness in a subforum where the rules state: "Being provocative or insensitive in this section is prohibited". As I say, I wouldn't have posted what, for me, is a very personal story had I known. But, hey, now I know so lesson learned.
12-08-2016, 02:45 PM
(08-08-2016 10:44 AM)Elexis Wrote:  Does anyone have any advice/experience/tips for how to get out of this stuff? It's damaging my mental health, I'm anxious, stressed, don't even know who I am anymore, sometimes think I might be going mad. But how do I let go of the fear?
Just relax.

You'll drive yourself nuts chasing ghosts that don't exist. You'll hear something that goes bump and ASSUME it is that elusive ghost.

I would say, start focussing on reality. Focus on getting an education, on doing well at work, focus on your own future, get a hobby or project perhaps, renovate a house, take up photography or music, or something to get your mind involved in something more rewarding.

Do something that you will come out with some skills or some financial reward or some good friends.
12-08-2016, 04:26 PM
(12-08-2016 02:24 PM)Elexis Wrote:  True, I guess I just didn't expect that degree of harshness in a subforum where the rules state: "Being provocative or insensitive in this section is prohibited". As I say, I wouldn't have posted what, for me, is a very personal story had I known. But, hey, now I know so lesson learned.

Hi Elexis,

If you are still around, just this - I would be sorry to see you go.

D.
12-08-2016, 04:39 PM
(12-08-2016 02:24 PM)Elexis Wrote:  True, I guess I just didn't expect that degree of harshness in a subforum where the rules state: "Being provocative or insensitive in this section is prohibited". As I say, I wouldn't have posted what, for me, is a very personal story had I known. But, hey, now I know so lesson learned.

Okay this is probably my fault. I felt a shock to the system was needed it. If you run away you are repeating the mistakes you chose in the past.

The idea is to change this pattern of behavior. Only you can do this.

The choice is yours.

I may not ever have been religious, but I've seen a very harsh life. I had to make choices to survive it.

Sometimes one needs to be woken up. I felt it was needed. But now I see you run away again.

Your choice.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Hi Banjo,
No worries. I got upset at the tone of your post (I'm a bit emotionally fragile at the moment) but on reflection the general message was sound. I think I see what you're saying - just cos I'm ill doesn't mean I have to throw my brain in the garbage in search of comfort, right?

I'll stick around I think, though I may not be very active (generally don't go online much) it would be nice to have an online community to turn to. Do you guys mind somebody hanging around who isn't an atheist & has no desire to become one any time soon? I'd like to drop the new-age crap but don't think my core theistic beliefs are going anywhere, would still be nice to have a little place of scepticism to go to if I ever start going down the woo road again...

(Incidentally I found this place cos I got really hooked on the Thinking Atheist podcast. Listening to that alongside the psychic podcast created enough cognitive dissonance to make me wanna sort this stuff out! It's a really well-made show.)
[+] 2 users Like Elexis's post
12-08-2016, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2016 04:55 AM by DLJ.)
(12-08-2016 05:03 PM)Elexis Wrote:  Hi Banjo,
No worries. I got upset at the tone of your post (I'm a bit emotionally fragile at the moment) but on reflection the general message was sound. I think I see what you're saying - just cos I'm ill doesn't mean I have to throw my brain in the garbage in search of comfort, right?

Hi Elexis. Yes indeed. You must realise you have worth. Run to you.

(12-08-2016 05:03 PM)Elexis Wrote:  I'll stick around I think, though I may not be very active (generally don't go online much) it would be nice to have an online community to turn to. Do you guys mind somebody hanging around who isn't an atheist & has no desire to become one any time soon? I'd like to drop the new-age crap but don't think my core theistic beliefs are going anywhere, would still be nice to have a little place of scepticism to go to if I ever start going down the woo road again...

I advise you to stick around and be active. The members here are amazing. Also, read my signature. It is there for a very important reason.

(12-08-2016 05:03 PM)Elexis Wrote:  (Incidentally I found this place cos I got really hooked on the Thinking Atheist podcast. Listening to that alongside the psychic podcast created enough cognitive dissonance to make me wanna sort this stuff out! It's a really well-made show.)

I'm gonna tell you a little story.

I was about 11 or 12 and I had moved states from Victoria in south Australia to NSW because I had a better job offer. I hitchhiked all the way. I slept by knocking on doors and asking to borrow a sleeping bag and crash on their porch. Nobody refused.

I turned up at the town, got the job and went to a boarding house. I rang the bell and this old man answered.

"Got a room?"

"You want a room?"

"Where are your parents?"

"Dead. You have a vacancy sign and I have money and a job. I will pay two months in advance."

"Okay mate. Come in."

I lived there for about 6 months before the job was over.

Luckily he never called the cops. Later I got to know the local cop and he was a decent guy and saw I was fully independant.

I never took one day off.

This is where I am coming from. This began at age 8. I have told a few stories on this site but they don't even come close.

Now today I want you to do this.

Go back to the mirror, look into it and say: "Fuck them! Fuck Banjo! I don't need their shit! I am ME!"

With best intentions. Dale

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.