I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: I Think I Might Be Brainwashed...
(12-08-2016 02:24 PM)Elexis Wrote:  True, I guess I just didn't expect that degree of harshness in a subforum where the rules state: "Being provocative or insensitive in this section is prohibited". As I say, I wouldn't have posted what, for me, is a very personal story had I known. But, hey, now I know so lesson learned.

That's Banjo. He can be a little irritable at times on account of being on enough experimental chemo to kill a herd of buffalo. That said, his head and heart are in the right place and he is the resident expert on being really sick and dealing with it. Full story here. You might want to drop him a note.

It sounds like you might have a bit of an addictive personality. Do you tend toward quick, simple solutions and instant gratification? Illness will exagerrate that, making you the perfect target for just about every form of woo imaginable. I think that you know this already but the problem is that there isn't a quick simple solution for what ails you. No pill to pop, no glowing crystal, no happy thought. If there were then some pharmaceutical company would be making a mint off of it by now. A shame too. We all want an easy answer. Nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately, the woo will just hurt you and leave you dissappointed. I think that you know this too. The obvious damage is the drain to the pocket book but the more insidious problem is the damage by distraction. Every imaginary "cure" leaves your condition untreated and getting worse. People have died this way and killed their kids this way.

If this is the case then you need to see a therapist. We're just people on the net. Some of us have some decent advise sometimes but you likely need the sort of professional help that we simply aren't qualified to dispense. It'll cost but it'll cost less than the false hope will and can actually do some good.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
12-08-2016, 05:54 PM
(12-08-2016 05:03 PM)Elexis Wrote:  I'll stick around I think, though I may not be very active (generally don't go online much) it would be nice to have an online community to turn to. Do you guys mind somebody hanging around who isn't an atheist & has no desire to become one any time soon? I'd like to drop the new-age crap but don't think my core theistic beliefs are going anywhere, would still be nice to have a little place of scepticism to go to if I ever start going down the woo road again...

Laugh out load Have you seen the trolls we let wander free here? You aren't even moving the needle on the bullshitometer yet. Thumbsup

We have a few theists on the board. Some are well-liked and have been here quite a while. One was an Admin. You'll be fine as long as you don't preach or get dishonest, and I'm not getting that vibe from you at all. We like a variety of perspectives around here and you'll get all the skepticism you can eat. Big Grin

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
12-08-2016, 06:07 PM
lol I've not explored the forums very much, I can imagine you encounter a fair number of trolls though. Cool, I'll happily stick around then Smile and no worries, no preaching from me, I have zero desire to convert anybody.

I don't really have an addictive personality (that I can think of) but I have a very anxious one, having a chronic and unpredictable illness has exacerbated that. A therapist would probably be a good idea to deal with the stuff underlying all this.

And yeah the woo fucks you up in the end. It's all nice and fluffy until you meet the people who tell you that you 'created' your illness with your 'negative vibration'. Kinda like joining a fundamentalist church that welcomes you in with promises of healing and then blames you for your 'lack of faith'. Funny that a lot of the new-age crowd hate Christianity and think themselves so above it and yet the similarities...
[+] 4 users Like Elexis's post
12-08-2016, 06:49 PM
It's awful to have a big illness, and it's natural to want something magic to calm yourself. But...there's no good evidence that spending your time praying or polishing your aura, etc., will do anything but waste time you could be using to make your life more interesting and personally meaningful. A benevolent universe would not require you to jump through hoops to win favor, while in a malevolent universe you are likely to jump through hoops too poorly to win favor, and in an indifferent universe, hoop-jumping will do nothing. So woo is either unnecessary or useless. Spend your time in the way that interests you most.
12-08-2016, 10:03 PM
EVERYONE is welcome here, atheist, agnostic, theist, and all those in between.

including you. Heart

you will find supportive caring people here, but they won't follow along with your beliefs blindly. You are separate from the woo.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-08-2016, 10:37 PM
(12-08-2016 05:03 PM)Elexis Wrote:  Do you guys mind somebody hanging around who isn't an atheist & has no desire to become one any time soon?

Of course we don't mind! Make yourself at home, all our welcome here! We seek no terms or conditions for your stay other than to be yourself and have fun (and to pay me a weekly allotment of crack and truffles, of course).

And no, Banjo shouldn't have done that, my apologies that a mod such as yours truly wasn't here at the time to manage him. The personal support section is supposed to be a safe space.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
12-08-2016, 10:47 PM
(12-08-2016 05:03 PM)Elexis Wrote:  Do you guys mind somebody hanging around who isn't an atheist & has no desire to become one any time soon?

Welcome to the forum. I'm a theist, and like you I'm absolutely not interested in becoming an atheist. I come here because I like the people, and I feel respected in spite of our theological differences. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
13-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Cool, nice to know am not the only theist here Smile y'all seem like a nice bunch, I think I'll like it around here. Gonna have to disappear for a while, have strained both hands & dr has banned computer use till am better Sad

Gave all my psychic books to charity today - felt good Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Elexis's post
13-08-2016, 11:57 AM
(12-08-2016 06:07 PM)Elexis Wrote:  And yeah the woo fucks you up in the end. It's all nice and fluffy until you meet the people who tell you that you 'created' your illness with your 'negative vibration'. Kinda like joining a fundamentalist church that welcomes you in with promises of healing and then blames you for your 'lack of faith'. Funny that a lot of the new-age crowd hate Christianity and think themselves so above it and yet the similarities...

Victim blaming is part of their schtick but much of it is the notion that if you did it to yourself then you can undo it too. All you have to do is clap your hands and say, "I do believe in fairies!" The moment you accept that your illness is caused by external factors that you can't easily control the woo falls apart. Good mental vibes don't do much for inheritted conditions.

---
13-08-2016, 01:46 PM
(12-08-2016 06:07 PM)Elexis Wrote:  lol I've not explored the forums very much, I can imagine you encounter a fair number of trolls though. Cool, I'll happily stick around then Smile and no worries, no preaching from me, I have zero desire to convert anybody.

I don't really have an addictive personality (that I can think of) but I have a very anxious one, having a chronic and unpredictable illness has exacerbated that. A therapist would probably be a good idea to deal with the stuff underlying all this.

And yeah the woo fucks you up in the end. It's all nice and fluffy until you meet the people who tell you that you 'created' your illness with your 'negative vibration'. Kinda like joining a fundamentalist church that welcomes you in with promises of healing and then blames you for your 'lack of faith'. Funny that a lot of the new-age crowd hate Christianity and think themselves so above it and yet the similarities...

Hi Elexis,

Good move. Smile

D.