I Think I Might Get Kicked Out of the Navy (Rant)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 12:51 AM
I Think I Might Get Kicked Out of the Navy (Rant)
For those of you not aware, I am a reservist now, prior active. I do not want to leave actually. My Navy experiences have been bad and good, but I generally enjoy it. I've had a pretty successful career. Made rank very quickly and that. When you join you do surrender certain freedoms. You must keep your hair short, you must be clean shaven, you can't speak out against the president, and all of your other superiors, you must go where you are told and leave you family behind, etc. etc. All of this I accepted, but what I'm wavering on is their latest demand of me.

It may seem silly to many of you, but to me it's quite serious. Last month they told me I had 6 months to have my wisdom tooth removed or they were kicking me out. As a reservist, I make very little anyhow. Enough to buy health and dental insurance and have about 100-150 bucks left over per month. I make a little extra for volunteering to travel and perform in military funerals, but not much. Now they are trying to force me to spend whatever I have left over per month x about 9 months to have a surgery that I don't want and is unnecessary. My tooth doesn't bother me, it has went unchanged for about a decade. They had no problem with me having it on active duty. I deployed to shithole places where there were no dentists before on active duty and they had no problem with it then. Now, some asshole dentist gives me about 5 minutes of his time to determines I MUST have it out. I was seriously hating the idea of being forced to do it before my consultation...then they told me my dental insurance still leaves me paying almost a grand out of pocket.

I don't want to throw away all my hard work. I've worked my ass off to get where I am today. I've gone through a lot of shit to get to where I am. I've worked the 100+ hours a week many times. I've been shot at. I've studied my ass off. I've went the extra mile. I've been real successful. But god damn...

On the other hand, I think, you know what, it might be nice to able to do what I want to do. Urgh! I must decide what I want most, again. But god damn it, it's fucking bullshit.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2013, 12:59 AM
RE: I Think I Might Get Kicked Out of the Navy (Rant)
Really? I've had a couple taken out for a couple hundred or less. Sounds to me like the doctor is looking for a payday. Not cool.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Is it impacted? If not, does it have a cavity? Are the roots starting to move? Is it giving you any trouble at all? Any infection of any kind recently? Is the condition of the tooth it is near, healthy?

Most dentists today try to save the tooth/teeth if at all possible. I can not think why a reputable, up to date, state of the art, dentist would want to yank a healthy tooth.

Can you ask for a second opinion? Consider Seems a lot for just an extraction.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Damn dude, that sucks. Is there any way to get a second opinion on it to avoid it? I'd be looking for second opinions or something. I don't think it's silly at all. If you worked your ass off to get there, I can respect that.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
20-11-2013, 01:22 AM
It is a wisdom tooth, it's not exposed, but it is sideways. Nothing is moving, no issues with it at all. Without xrays I would have never known it even existed. At the consult they did say that the nerves were very close to the nerves that give me feeling in my lower jaw and lip. If anything it is probably more danger to extract than it is leave it alone. I don't think getting a second opinion from a Navy dentist is a possibility, but I may ask. As a reservist we generally only get seen by one once a year as there are none local. I have no idea why it is so expensive other than thinking maybe my insurance doesn't cover general anesthesia or something. I need to look into it. To be honest, I really don't want the surgery at all though. I suppose if I could have the anesthesia and it didn't cost so much I'd be willing to do it. Fuck...sometimes life just give you a shit sandwhich.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
20-11-2013, 02:03 AM
(20-11-2013 01:22 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  It is a wisdom tooth, it's not exposed, but it is sideways. Nothing is moving, no issues with it at all. Without xrays I would have never known it even existed. At the consult they did say that the nerves were very close to the nerves that give me feeling in my lower jaw and lip. If anything it is probably more danger to extract than it is leave it alone. I don't think getting a second opinion from a Navy dentist is a possibility, but I may ask. As a reservist we generally only get seen by one once a year as there are none local. I have no idea why it is so expensive other than thinking maybe my insurance doesn't cover general anesthesia or something. I need to look into it. To be honest, I really don't want the surgery at all though. I suppose if I could have the anesthesia and it didn't cost so much I'd be willing to do it. Fuck...sometimes life just give you a shit sandwhich.

Well, if it makes you feel better, it's probably jesus and god's divine plan. Laughat

Sorry to hear it though man, seriously sucks Sad

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
20-11-2013, 03:30 AM
That's rather bullshit now isn't it...
I thought the Navy would have paid for it, it seems extremely pointless to have a naval dentist and than you still have to pay like you would if you went to a normal fucking dentist... wtf?

You know it could be a good thing. I think a problem people have is they get comfortable. They have a semi-okay job and what not and they don't want to give it up and risk, because it is a risk, seeking out a better job/life/do what they want.
It's up to you, obviously, but if you want my opinion I say do whatever it is you'd rather do. You only get 1 life afterall, you shouldn't settle for just fine. It's better to try and fail than not try at all. Besides, what's the worst that happens? You end up back in the armed forces?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
20-11-2013, 04:00 AM
(20-11-2013 03:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  That's rather bullshit now isn't it...
I thought the Navy would have paid for it, it seems extremely pointless to have a naval dentist and than you still have to pay like you would if you went to a normal fucking dentist... wtf?

You know it could be a good thing. I think a problem people have is they get comfortable. They have a semi-okay job and what not and they don't want to give it up and risk, because it is a risk, seeking out a better job/life/do what they want.
It's up to you, obviously, but if you want my opinion I say do whatever it is you'd rather do. You only get 1 life afterall, you shouldn't settle for just fine. It's better to try and fail than not try at all. Besides, what's the worst that happens? You end up back in the armed forces?

The thing I like about the Navy is you don't get too comfortable. There are plenty of opportunities to do all sorts of random shit. I can type away in an office like a boring 9-5 job, or I can bust down doors and get shot at. I can depart on an airwing flying across the globe, or get attache duty and hobnob in a tuxedo. If you bust your ass you can do pretty much anything. "Ending back in the Armed Forces" is not a probable possibility if I get medically discharged. Believe it or not, the large majority of people who want to be in the Armed Forces either don't make it, or don't make it long. Most people have medical issues, are too fat, too lazy, too unwilling to sacrifice, unable to give up addiction or temptation, etc, etc. I do not see my military career as mediocre or a backup because I could not make it in the civilian world. I know some may see it that way, but for all my griping and complaining, I'm not ready to call it quits yet.

What I'd rather do is stay in for a while longer, but I'd also rather not be forced to have an unnecessary surgery. I must admit, the surgery itself does scare me, as does any surgery. I've seen rpgs flying at me...which was scary, but this kind of scares me as much. Scary in a different way. A stranger cutting me open while I am unable to stop them...like I said, seems silly to some people but that, that scares me. Of course money is a consideration as well.

I don't know why I even typed this. I'm not sure if I am looking for people to say "Go get the goddamn tooth out" or "Fuck them, just get out". Maybe neither. Maybe I am just venting.

20-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Can't you resign before they medically discharge you?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
20-11-2013, 04:22 AM
(20-11-2013 04:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can't you resign before they medically discharge you?

I can quit showing up, but no I can't resign. Since I am a reservist they wouldn't actively try to search for me or anything, but it would make re-entering impossible and I would lose my educational benefits.