I Think I Might Get Kicked Out of the Navy (Rant)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 10:22 PM
RE: I Think I Might Get Kicked Out of the Navy (Rant)
(20-11-2013 10:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 09:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Generally speaking that is why they are removed when you enter. Mine was seen as unnecessary, but the military dentists go to response is "rip it out" whether it is an issue or not 'just in case'. Never mind I have deployed. Never mind it's never given me the slightest inkling of a problem. Never mind the status of it hasn't changed. The jerkoff doc had to see 200 people in a day and couldn't be fucked to assess the situation. He gave me 5 minutes of time total, examined my teeth, looked at my X-ray and said "Oh, you have a wisdom tooth, it MUST come out." That's why .

I didn't know that was their stance since my wisdom teeth were already gone when I enlisted. I have heard a lot of bad things about military dentists but I had a chip fixed on a front tooth over twenty years ago (the dentist offered) and it's still perfect. I must have found one of the few actually good dentists on Fort Jackson.

Fort Jackson is a big ass base. I did a couple of months of training there. They have EVERYTHING!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
20-11-2013, 10:25 PM
My ex was stationed there, we spent about 4 years in quarters. That was a long time ago but yeah, it's like a city unto itself. Back then they even had DOD schools up to middle school. I knew people that almost never left the base because you pretty much didn't have to.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
20-11-2013, 10:26 PM
DL Hug that just stinks. Let us know what you decide.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-11-2013, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 01:13 AM by Dark Light.)
I think I'm gonna have a set down with the senior enlisted leader on my next drill and see if there is anything I can do to avoid this. I kind of doubt it. Fucking bureaucracies tend to follow the set rules rather than making decisions that necessarily make sense. Thanks to all though...even Girly.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
21-11-2013, 05:34 PM
(20-11-2013 10:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I didn't know that was their stance since my wisdom teeth were already gone when I enlisted. I have heard a lot of bad things about military dentists but I had a chip fixed on a front tooth over twenty years ago (the dentist offered) and it's still perfect. I must have found one of the few actually good dentists on Fort Jackson.

I had an O-6 Captain for a dentist in boot camp in San Diego. Dude was fantastic and did his damndest to save my fucked up 2 front teeth and looked completely dejected when he finally realized they had to be pulled. And then I went to Great Lakes for Machinist Mate "A" school where my wisdom teeth were dug out by dental trainees. Weeping

And for the record Tylenol 3 is NOT a painkiller.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Can't you just tell them you CAN'T afford it? Get them to cover it or something...
21-11-2013, 05:56 PM
(21-11-2013 05:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 10:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I didn't know that was their stance since my wisdom teeth were already gone when I enlisted. I have heard a lot of bad things about military dentists but I had a chip fixed on a front tooth over twenty years ago (the dentist offered) and it's still perfect. I must have found one of the few actually good dentists on Fort Jackson.

I had an O-6 Captain for a dentist in boot camp in San Diego. Dude was fantastic and did his damndest to save my fucked up 2 front teeth and looked completely dejected when he finally realized they had to be pulled. And then I went to Great Lakes for Machinist Mate "A" school where my wisdom teeth were dug out by dental trainees. Weeping

And for the record Tylenol 3 is NOT a painkiller.

M&Ms would be more comforting than Tylenol 3 - at least they have some flavor.

The army gives you 800 mg Motrin for everything that Robitusin won't cure.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-11-2013, 12:33 PM
First of all. Thank you for your service.

Secondly, if it is an option I'd say seek a second opinion, and see if you can get somewhere there.

Not to scare you... but I had my wisdom teeth removed by a Navy dentist, and although I didn't experience any complications and the end result was fine, the actual experience was far from pleasant. They gave me local anesthesia and the guy had to put his knee in my chest and tell me to keep my head pulled back while he worked on yanking the damn things out.

Maybe these days they gas you and put you out, in that case I wouldn't worry about the actual surgery too much. However, I totally understand your frustration regarding what it is going to cost you out of pocket for something that is not causing you any pain or problems currently. However, if a second opinion (maybe a civilian dentist) tells you they need to come out to avoid health problems you'd probably be wise to proceed.

Good luck!
23-11-2013, 05:50 PM
(23-11-2013 12:33 PM)LostCyborg Wrote:  First of all. Thank you for your service.

Secondly, if it is an option I'd say seek a second opinion, and see if you can get somewhere there.

Not to scare you... but I had my wisdom teeth removed by a Navy dentist, and although I didn't experience any complications and the end result was fine, the actual experience was far from pleasant. They gave me local anesthesia and the guy had to put his knee in my chest and tell me to keep my head pulled back while he worked on yanking the damn things out.

Maybe these days they gas you and put you out, in that case I wouldn't worry about the actual surgery too much. However, I totally understand your frustration regarding what it is going to cost you out of pocket for something that is not causing you any pain or problems currently. However, if a second opinion (maybe a civilian dentist) tells you they need to come out to avoid health problems you'd probably be wise to proceed.

Good luck!

I actually did go to have it removed on active duty once. Because surgery scares the shit out of me I nearly passed out before anything got started. My blood pressure spiked, my pulse was high...about 15-20 minutes later they determined I needed general anesthesia. Long story short it never got removed. I know if I do wind up getting it cut out it will have to be with general anesthesia. Also, a Navy Dentist isn't an option in the boondocks. It'll be a civilian dentist, or none at all.

27-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Well...a bit of an update. Turns out my insurance company gives better prices to certain providers, and one of them was not the one I was refereed to the last time, so things may still work out for me.

In the meantime, on the Navy front, I got a new assistant, hopefully one that will actually assist me. Excited to meet him/her.