I Think I'd Like to Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
RE: I Think I'd Like to Change
(10-05-2012 10:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 10:40 AM)kim Wrote:  I think Kingsy and Egor are sock puppets... of John Cantor!! Big Grin
How did you find out?
I work in mysterious ways. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-05-2012, 11:22 AM

(10-05-2012 04:28 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I don't know what this means considering how brief the post is and how broad the implications are. Though you have already changed allot since the time you've been here.

Wish you well on your journey wherever it takes you.

Thanks, Deepthought.

(10-05-2012 05:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  But I never thought E was a troll and the only probs I've had with him is him saying my Gwynnies should be scared of me. I'm not big on taking offense, but that kinda thing inspires some primeval evolutionary ragekill. Tongue
So I'll vote in the "seems legit" category. Good luck, E. Hope you find what yer looking for. Wink

Thanks, House.

But I have to ask, what is it about Gwyneth Paltro? I just watched the movie Contagion last night, she was in it and I thought of you (how wrong is that).

In a bygone era, I was pretty obsessed with Phoebe Cates, but I never actually put on a red bikini. So What’s the deal?

[Image: 220px-GwynethPaltrowByAndreaRaffin2011.jpg] [Image: cates4.jpg]

(10-05-2012 07:15 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  And I'd like to be a 5' 10" rich super model who drives a Porsche.

And you might be right. Perhaps I’m genetically programmed to be an asshole. But if that’s the case, and I change—where does that ability come from?

(10-05-2012 07:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I was thisclose to biting this proclamation about Egor wanting to change.

But only an hour or two before the post was the same ole Egor spouting the same ole hateful stuff on the BC thread asking what if you can't physically do what God wants..

Will hold out a while longer...seems to be some flip-flopping going on lately.

The jury is still out.

Actually, it was that post that was the final straw. I read it and I was like, “Why do you sound like this? Why would anyone listen to anything you have to say if you are this kind of person?”

(10-05-2012 07:21 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  Glad to hear it. Compassion, humility, and respect are beautiful things regardless of whether you believe in god or not.

See, that’s just it. That’s what got me thinking recently. If you believe that, what difference does it make if you believe in a historical Jesus or not? Jesus was 2000 years ago. He didn’t know about us, and we didn’t know about him.

And as for God: God likes to hide and watch. I really think He likes to stay out of the picture as much as possible. So, I can’t believe He really cares too much whether or not we believe “He” exists.

That said, who am I to then judge you? I tried believing in a Christian version of hell, and I can’t. I’ve been a reincarnationist for a decade. But even if there is a hell, who can say what God intends or who he loves or who he hates. And Jesus made it really clear that we can’t judge, that God sends his rain on the just and unjust, that we are too imperfect to make right judgments about people.

If you believe in compassion for others, how could you possibly go to hell?

(10-05-2012 07:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  C'mon... Egor has always done exactly what he's said. He not known for being a liar. Just because some of you don't like him because of his past attitude, doesn't give you the right to "call BS".

I mean... isn't the whole reason why people dislike Egor is because he's painfully honest? He hasn't given any reason to not believe him.

Anyway, Egor - I look forward to this change.

Thanks, KC.I look forward to some of the rational discussions you and I will have in the future (not that we haven't already had some).

(10-05-2012 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Grabbing some popcorn - we'll see how this plays out.

Me, too.

(10-05-2012 08:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  No!!!! Don't change. I'll have to revise my opinion of you and I hate change!

LOL.

(10-05-2012 10:03 AM)kim Wrote:  You've already stopped. Thumbsup

Thanks.

Quote:Thank you for displaying this courage!
It is a great example for anyone contemplating any kind of change in their lives.

Change is the most daunting and toughest, yet most rewarding thing we can do for ourselves.

Well, if this life is all about learning then refusing to change may be the greatest of sins, you know?

Quote:My insults thrown were my own frustrations at seeing this good man unable to recognize and acknowledge the inherent goodness in himself. For my impatience, I do apologize.
Heart You are a good man, Egor.

No problem at all. And I apologize for any insults I threw your way. Thanks for not holding a grudge.

(10-05-2012 10:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  Yay Egor!

Also... wow Shocking

You're pretty incredible! 'Grats on having ginormous balls...

Hope you continue to grow!

[Image: elephantitis.jpg]

That’s me!

Quote:PS I've often wondered... what does your wife think about all this stuff? I mean you said she is the one other Veridican in the world...? Is she also feeling differently, trying new things etc?

In truth, she doesn’t change that much, and she’s not as religious as I am. For years and years we have had these three Veridican practices: Animal Care, Pursuit of Purpose, and Physical Fitness. We believe these are not just good things to do but also three of the most important spiritual exercises a person can ever do in this life. She is very involved in these practices, and that’s pretty much her end of it. I’m more of the philosophical one. She believes in God and believes completely in Jesus Christ and has a personal relationship with God as I do, but when it comes to the online philosophy, the debate, that sort of thing, she stays out of it almost completely. She’s more of a doer than a talker. She has always considered herself a Veridican, and it’s interesting, because I’ve said that when I die, I want a Christian burial since there are no Veridicans other than us. I’m pretty sure she isn’t going to do that.

(10-05-2012 10:16 AM)kineo Wrote:  For me these are the magic words. That's a mature way to look at communication, and it makes me believe you.

Good luck in your new direction man, I hope the best for you.

Thank you, Kineo. I was never too bothered by the insulting kind of verbal sparring that goes on in here. For the last nineteen years I’ve never really been bothered by it. But I think some people are. I think what I consider fun is not really fun for others. And actually, it’s not really fun for me anymore, either.

Thanks for the encouragement.

(10-05-2012 10:20 AM)nach_in Wrote:  so you're just giving up?

Oh no. I still believe in God. I still plan to debate God’s existence and the existence of our immortal consciousness. I just don’t know anymore how effective it is to say to someone “God exists you stupid idiot!” I’m not sure that’s a particularly strong argument.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Egor's post
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
And as for God: God likes to hide and watch. I really think He likes to stay out of the picture as much as possible. So, I can’t believe He really cares too much whether or not we believe “He” exists.

Now we're talking! Really dig the revelations you're having. It's inspiring to witness.

By the way, you're doing that anthropomorphic thing again (God as just some cosmic dude or lady layin' out in the cut).

And one quick question for you: What's the difference between a god that "likes to hide and watch/likes to stay out of the picture as much as possible" and no god whatsoever? Especially since any assertions of instances where by he/she/it interacts with the universe are utterly and completely unfalsifiable and can't be distinguished from subjective fantasy or delusion?

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
10-05-2012, 11:51 AM

(10-05-2012 10:28 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Yes you can grow into the wrong ideas, but as long as you continue to grow that can always change yet again.

That's a signature quality quote. Thanks, Lilith.

(10-05-2012 10:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I'd like him to change in a positive way, but not to just let things go because he thinks it's pointless, frustration isn't the best motivation to change

I agree, but it's not frustration really. It's just a lot of thinking and a lot of doubt about a lot of things. There are things I believe and then there are things I would like to believe but can't.

(10-05-2012 10:40 AM)kim Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 10:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol I've been accused of being an Egor sock puppet Tongue
I think Kingsy and Egor are sock puppets... of John Cantor!! Big Grin

Enlightenment is seeing not the hand puppet in the mirror but the hand in the puppet in the mirror.
--a very wise person

(10-05-2012 10:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't think it's that. I think he's realizing (like I told him a long time ago) that you are a more effective communicator if you're not all WWEish on people all the time.

Agreed. Finally. Dodgy

(10-05-2012 10:43 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Godammit Egor! Don't matter what your threads are about, they always get so much attention! Lol

Good man. Always looking to better yourself is a stand up way to live.

I hope so, Stark Raving. I really hope so.
(10-05-2012 11:37 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  And one quick question for you: What's the difference between a god that "likes to hide and watch/likes to stay out of the picture as much as possible" and no god whatsoever? Especially since any assertions of instances where by he/she/it interacts with the universe are utterly and completely unfalsifiable and can't be distinguished from subjective fantasy or delusion?

Well the difference would be that He actually does exist, and there is wisdom to be had in contemplating His nature, in trying to find Him. When we die, we will all enter our lucid spiritual plane, and there we will have to act like God. It seems the best way to learn something is to have to search for it. That's my take on it, anyway.
[+] 3 users Like Egor's post
10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
(10-05-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  Oh no. I still believe in God. I still plan to debate God’s existence and the existence of our immortal consciousness. I just don’t know anymore how effective it is to say to someone “God exists you stupid idiot!” I’m not sure that’s a particularly strong argument.
ok, good to know, and I agree, that's not your best argument Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
10-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow, I have nothing but respect.

I had a quick conversation on your Veridican site where you explained your definition of God to me. It was a great exchange of ideas without any hostility. Agree with you or not, I really enjoyed the ideas you set forth. I thought to myself, "more people would be willing to engage with this guy if he just tossed his ideas out there and stopped trying to win pointless battles."

Looks like you've done just that. Well done!

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM

(10-05-2012 01:24 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Wow, I have nothing but respect.

I had a quick conversation on your Veridican site where you explained your definition of God to me. It was a great exchange of ideas without any hostility. Agree with you or not, I really enjoyed the ideas you set forth. I thought to myself, "more people would be willing to engage with this guy if he just tossed his ideas out there and stopped trying to win pointless battles."

Looks like you've done just that. Well done!

Thanks man. We'll see how it goes. I'll have to put an argument in here as an OP and see how it turns out.
10-05-2012, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 03:09 PM by lightninlives.)
Well the difference would be that He actually does exist, and there is wisdom to be had in contemplating His nature, in trying to find Him. When we die, we will all enter our lucid spiritual plane, and there we will have to act like God.
So just to follow up on this, god is a guy (e.g. a male). I only say that because you mention "he" and "him."

Also, just out of curiosity, what if when I die, I don't want to like this guy. Is that an option? What if I, say for example, don't want to exist anymore. Is that an option? Because I'm not really down with tyranny or conformity.

It seems the best way to learn something is to have to search for it.
This idea is a bit confusing in that it seems to put the cart before the horse so to speak. That would be like saying that the best way to learn about the fountain of youth would be to search for it.

I may very well learn some second-hand information about it from others that have claimed to come in contact with it. I may even have dreams or other forms of subjective experiences/revelations that seem to impart knowledge about it. But I can't say that I've learned anything about it until I can verify that it actually exists (e.g. physically real as opposed to something someone told me about or something I had subjective revelations/experiences of).

Why not focus on the literally innumerable number of things that can verified to really exist and that one can learn about and search for more information on?
So for example, we can verify that the emotion of compassion exists (observed behavior both in humans and animals, consistent brain scan patterns that correspond to the observed subjective emotion of compassion, etc.).

You could literally spend a lifetime searching for and learning about compassion and it would be a life well-spent. It just wouldn't require any sort of pondering of god whatsoever.

Or perhaps writing for children. You could spend a lifetime learning about, searching for, and actually doing that, and it would be a life well-spent and utterly devoid of any god-seeking.

Just sayin'

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
10-05-2012, 03:17 PM
(10-05-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  I just watched the movie Contagion last night, she was in it and I thought of you (how wrong is that).

Happens lots. In other cases, I don't even exist in the current mind frame of peeps, and they'll see her on the tube, then think about what an idiot I am about that girl and have a laugh. If I kan do the joyous non-existence thing, so kan god. Big Grin

(10-05-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  But I have to ask, what is it about Gwyneth Paltrow?

The short story is that she is my sweet everything. Heart

The long story is... long. Just got itself deleted in inception. Prolly has to do with child abuse, psychosis, and Gwyneth being the best thing everz. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Here's to the new Egor...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post