I Think Penguins Are Cute

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: I Think Penguins Are Cute
(15-11-2013 03:26 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hey, I probably saved like $10000+ in just car insurance and gas by not having a car between ages 16 and 24 haha. Sorry about your sister. I never talk to my family about my atheism because I don't think anybody really cares haha. How long have you not been a believer? Is it a new thing?

The insurance thing is something I've thought about. But I didn't know if never even having a car until my mid-twenties would seem "worrisome" to them.

And I've been a no believer since Sophomore year officially, but I don't think I ever truly believed. But my sister is a fairly new sober person. She found God and it helps her. I believe she thinks seeing me happy and getting through life without a god causes her to doubt if SHE needs it to keep her sober. I think she then reflects onto me. "I should believe in SOMETHING."

ugh.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: I Think Penguins Are Cute
(15-11-2013 04:11 PM)Peanut Wrote:  The insurance thing is something I've thought about. But I didn't know if never even having a car until my mid-twenties would seem "worrisome" to them.

And I've been a no believer since Sophomore year officially, but I don't think I ever truly believed. But my sister is a fairly new sober person. She found God and it helps her. I believe she thinks seeing me happy and getting through life without a god causes her to doubt if SHE needs it to keep her sober. I think she then reflects onto me. "I should believe in SOMETHING."

ugh.
Ah! Wait, worrisome to who? Who is them? haha.

Yeah I can understand how if your sister has found that a god is an important part of life, it bothers her that you haven't seen the same "light". Personally I've tried to think of it this way when talking to theists. Suppose I'm them. Suppose they believe in their god to the same extent that I don't believe. Suppose that in just the same way that I value actual evidence and logic, they value hope, faith, and good feelings. So then where are we going to go in our conversations about the subject? Likely around in circles. So instead of making arguments trying to convince them, I try to have conversations to try to understand them, and to have them understand me. Because as sure as I am that they can't convince me, the believer probably feels the same.

That may not be totally relevant to your situation, but it's what popped up in my head Smile haha.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply