I Won't Be Voting Today. Will You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
RE: I Won't Be Voting Today. Will You?
I think that is a spot on point. And, the Citizens United case where the US Supreme Court declared that corporations have the same First Amendment rights as citizens and can spend money as they see fit on campaigns did not help at all. If anything, it made things potentially much, much worse.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
These are all excellent reasons not to vote.

although...

As citizens it is our responsibility to be informed. Most Americans [myself included] don't do enough to keep up with politics and current events/issues. But it shouldn't be an excuse.

I showed up on campus early and read through all of the information and voted accordingly [on an absentee ballot] . I figured that was the best I could do.
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM

I think there is a difference between not voting and not being informed. I am very informed, and I think that is a main reason why I wouldn't vote (maybe my opinion will change by the time I get to voting age).

If there are no candidates that I can honestly support, if there is so much cynicism and negativity, corruption, and stupidity, why should I have to choose the lesser evil?

EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify. It is important for citizens to participate in the political process in so far that they vote in the sate level questions that appear on the ballot, and possibly be engaged in the local level elections, which tend to be a bit less wretched than national level elections. I believe in democracy, I just wish to see major major reform in our electoral process before I will consider it "meaningful or sacred"

If I find a candidate out there who I believe is a legitimate reformer, and a real representation of what I believe, I'd probably get behind him (or her). But I've been disappointed too many times (Ahem Obama) to really trust anyone anymore.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TruthAddict's post
08-11-2010, 11:36 AM

I know I'm a few days late on the subject, but I did not vote. Many of the replies sum up my feelings on the matter. Basically, I feel unrepresented by my representatives. Especially, at the state level (Kansas). I feel that the process itself is flawed and money plays entirely too big a role. And, yes, I do have the right to complain. In the past, when I have voted, it turned out my way and they turned their backs on me. So, I refuse to delegate my decision-making responsibilities to someone who knows and cares nothing about the average American. Until someone comes along who is truly independent (atheist and no party affiliation), I will stay home every election day.
08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
But how can money play such a huge part in the elections? Does advertising and campaining really effect the opinions of so many people?

Do you have neutral voting advice applicators in the US (all candidates are in the database and you answer all kinds of questions about your political views and the VAA picks the candidates that share the most views with you)? It shouldn't take long to pick the one to vote with a VAA.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

No, the voting system isn't like that. They have what the category is, i.e. governor, and then they have the names of the candidates and which party they belong to. You can choose to vote a straight ticket, for democrat or republican, but nothing about filling out your views and then the machine picking the candidates you agree with. That would be cool though.

I voted this past month because I am completely tired of Rick Perry as Texas Gov. But, of course, he won again. But even if I hadn't been worried about something like that I still would have voted. I think it's important to, even if you don't like either of the candidates. I heard that a lot of Mexicans and the LGBT community stayed home because they were unhappy with a lot of things, but getting out and voting does a lot more than sitting on your couch, mad at the government for whatever reason. Even if it doesn't do a lot, my point is that it at least does more.
28-08-2011, 04:16 PM

I have not missed an election I was eligible to vote in since I turned 18! That was 41 years ago! I have such a hard time accepting that it's been that long. But it has been and I voted the year they lowered the voting age to 18, something I was involved in pushing, along with ending the Viet Nam war!

Over the years, my politics haven't changed, however, my attitude has; I've become much more adamant about my beliefs and positions and convinced, more than ever, that without action, change will not happen. Don't get me wrong; I respect your position and understand where you're coming from regarding the need to understand a candidates position on the issues. What I am advocating is, "If we want change, it is our responsibility to do whatever needs to be done (short of violence or illegal activities - although I firmly endorse civil disobedience), whether that protesting in the streets or spending 20 hours on the internet, performing the research needed to pick one candidate over the other.

I know that you said you will be getting back into politics again at some point...I just hope that it's sooner than later! One of the newest innovations that I am currently investigating is a movement called, "Americans Elect 2012", online at http://www.AmericansElect.org. What they intend to do is have everyone who participates, answer surveys about issues that affect all of us. The survey questions are extensive and the available responses cover the range of right-wing to left-wing positions. Based upon the final responses from the millions and millions of participants, there will be a candidate for President chosen who will then be placed on the ballot in every State. They have already qualified in several States, with more coming.

The chosen candidate will not represent a political party. Instead, she/he will represent the issues that have been determined to be the most important. She/he will also represent the majority of participants' positions on each issue. This, of course, could create an amazingly diverse candidate, but it will represent the positions of millions of people, something party conventions do not!

If I make sense, great! If you disagree, great! Let's talk about it! You're welcome to debate here or come visit me at http://delmarvaprogressive.wordpress.com/
[+] 1 user Likes Delmarva_Progressive's post
08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm still undecided. It's funny, I just blogged on this topic last night:

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/09/...again.html

Faced with a choice of Obama or Perry, the only thing that would motivate me is a vote against Perry, not a vote for Obama...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2011, 10:51 PM

(08-09-2011 09:01 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I'm still undecided. It's funny, I just blogged on this topic last night:

Faced with a choice of Obama or Perry, the only thing that would motivate me is a vote against Perry, not a vote for Obama...

I'm feeling the same way at the moment. If one of the crazier republicans like Perry, Bachman, or Palin get nominated I'll have no choice but to vote for Obama. But if the thought of the republican candidate doesn't make me want to leave the country I'll probably either not vote or go for some third party candidate.
09-09-2011, 05:09 AM
(08-09-2011 09:01 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I'm still undecided. It's funny, I just blogged on this topic last night:

Exactly

When I vote it is not to chose who I want to be president but to prevent someone else from becoming president.

For example, every last one of you non voters better vote for someone else if rick perry or bachman looks like they are standing a chance. Just so that way you can rob a vote. I don't care who you vote for but anything is better than a president that does rain dances.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan