I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No VietCong Ever Called Me Nigger.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2016, 07:34 PM
RE: I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No VietCong Ever Called Me Nigger.
I learned of his death last night. I used to study his fights. Amazing speed for his weight division. I'll never forget his right cross that knocked out that Russian.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-06-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No VietCong Ever Called Me Nigger.
"Me, We." - Ali

#sigh
04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
(04-06-2016 07:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I learned of his death last night. I used to study his fights. Amazing speed for his weight division. I'll never forget his right cross that knocked out that Russian.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2016, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 10:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
How do you stop a monster of a man berserk with anger who is bigger and stronger than you? Simple. You make him even angrier. Apparently right hand leads are the ultimate insult to professional boxers. Fucking genius.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-06-2016, 02:33 AM
That was Ali's beauty ... he fought with his brain.

There's a sad irony in his suffering Parkinson's for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-06-2016, 02:54 AM
I'm a big boxing fan, but can't say I liked Ali much. Really liked Foreman and Frasier.
Ali was quite a nasty guy, treated Frasier like rubbish, treated women like rubbish, he even spoke at a KKK rally stating that the races shouldn't mix. He was reasonably athletic, had a big mouth and people loved his public persona. "The Greatest" was just an assertion. He did very well, wasn't the greatest.
05-06-2016, 04:15 AM
Quote:treated Frasier like rubbish,

I was going to mention that. Ali kept up this long-standing super low class campaigns basically saying both Foreman and Frazier were sellouts and Uncle Toms and with Frazier it went way beyond fight psychology. It was about tarnishing Frazier's legacy for life. Plus, it was incredibly untrue. Frazier was actually much more of a man of his people. The whole pandering to the white media was Ali's thing.

Another thing l'll point out it is that even though Ali is greatly remembered for being a very graceful "sweet science" type of fighter- so fun to watch- all that fancy footwork. But he also was constantly wrapping up and slowing down the fights. A strategy that still haunts the sport and has made thousands of fights unwatchably dull. Sort of like the constant fouling in basketball.

Plus, The Nation of Islam? What a bunch of fruit cakes!
05-06-2016, 04:39 AM
My parents ran into Ali in an airport when they were on a trip to Jamaica. Somewhere there is a picture of the three of them. They also got an autograph. They described him as gracious and pleasant and much quieter than his public persona. This was in the mid-70s.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-06-2016, 01:59 PM
I'll probably be the odd man out here, but being as I am a pacifist, and whilst I agree that anybody's early or untimely death is an unfortunate thing, I have no feelings of respect for Clay as a boxer. In fact, I can only regard professional boxing as a throwback to barbarity, and totally uncalled for in an allegedly civilised society. Clay was extremely unintelligent, and in 1964 was conscripted but failed Army entry criteria as Class 1-Y (unfit for service) after two mental tests found his IQ was only 78. After later reclassification by the Army, he was eligible for the draft, but became a conscientious objector. Brave man indeed.

Clinically speaking, a knockout occurs when the boxer's brain literally "bounces" around in his skull cavity, and causes a concussion. Medicos have said that there's a 90% chance that his Parkinson's was caused by the cumulative battering his head inevitably took over his 21 year career, but not necessarily caused by any KOs. It's claimed that an amateur boxer has to deal with a minor concussion in 1 out of 8 fights, and in the case of a professional boxer in nearly all fights.

If any of us did what Clay did to other people, we'd be charged with assault or causing GBH. Think about it.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
(05-06-2016 04:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  and with Frazier it went way beyond fight psychology. It was about tarnishing Frazier's legacy for life. Plus, it was incredibly untrue. Frazier was actually much more of a man of his people. The whole pandering to the white media was Ali's thing.
Frasier was very nice to Ali, helped him get back into boxing after being banned. He thought they were friends and then Ali attacked him in the media.

Real nasty guy. But his followers thought he was funny so they loved it.