I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No VietCong Ever Called Me Nigger.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 03:08 PM
RE: I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No VietCong Ever Called Me Nigger.
(04-06-2016 08:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 07:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I learned of his death last night. I used to study his fights. Amazing speed for his weight division. I'll never forget his right cross that knocked out that Russian.

I had to pause and rewind on several of those to even see the punches that did the job.
He must have had the quickest hands in the business.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
05-06-2016, 05:11 PM
RE: I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No VietCong Ever Called Me Nigger.
(05-06-2016 02:54 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm a big boxing fan, but can't say I liked Ali much. Really liked Foreman and Frasier.
Ali was quite a nasty guy, treated Frasier like rubbish, treated women like rubbish, he even spoke at a KKK rally stating that the races shouldn't mix.

He was a nigger who could wup your ass not afraid of giving America a lesson in confronting racism at just the right time in history. He was an American Hero.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-06-2016, 01:17 PM
(05-06-2016 01:59 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'll probably be the odd man out here, but being as I am a pacifist, and whilst I agree that anybody's early or untimely death is an unfortunate thing, I have no feelings of respect for Clay as a boxer.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-06-2016, 01:39 PM
(05-06-2016 05:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He was a nigger who could wup your ass not afraid of giving America a lesson in confronting racism at just the right time in history. He was an American Hero.
Most journeyman boxers could whip my arse.

If America consider a cheating husband, promoter of racial segregation, and just all round douche to be their hero, when, well that speaks volumes for the psyche of Americans.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
06-06-2016, 02:03 PM
(06-06-2016 01:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 05:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He was a nigger who could wup your ass not afraid of giving America a lesson in confronting racism at just the right time in history. He was an American Hero.

If America consider a cheating husband, promoter of racial segregation, and just all round douche to be their hero, when, well that speaks volumes for the psyche of Americans.

Put any hero under the magnifying glass and you're going to find faults. Yes, Ali had faults. So did Beethoven, Churchill, Faulkner, Gandhi, Einstein, and Mickey Mantle. Yet they are all heroes of mine. Human heroes with human faults are so much more interesting than perfect comic book characters.

Any journeyman boxer at all could whup me, but that's not the point. Ali in his prime could whup anyone, not just me. He whupped George Foreman at a time when Foreman was considered invincible. Foreman had knocked out people like Joe Frazier and Ken Norton (people who had beaten Ali) within the first few rounds. Nobody thought Ali had a chance against him. And Ali whupped him and whupped him good.

Yes, boxing is barbaric and borderline criminal, and from an intellectual standpoint, I think it should be illegal. And yet it can be a magnificent spectacle. The Ali-Foreman fight and the third Ali-Frazier fight (and any number of fights in the lower weight classes) are as dramatically compelling as anything you're likely to see.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-06-2016, 02:07 PM
(06-06-2016 02:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Ali in his prime could whup anyone, not just me. He whupped George Foreman at a time when Foreman was considered invincible. Foreman had knocked out people like Joe Frazier and Ken Norton (people who had beaten Ali) within the first few rounds. Nobody thought Ali had a chance against him. And Ali whupped him and whupped him good.
It was an unexpected outcome, and probably won't have happened if they had had a rematch. But anyways, he was a decent fighter, far from the greatest ever.
06-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Personally I liked Sugar Ray Leonard better.

I think when one looks at any person or even machinery from different times, one cannot compare. For example, who would win this fight, F16 VS Sopwith Camel?

In his time Ali was the best heavyweight champ. He has the titles to prove it. Plus an Olympic gold medal. Plus he had personality and intelligence. He was fighting for black rights during times such as the Watts riots. Not a great time to be black in the US and other places.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-06-2016, 04:44 PM
I have to admit that he was a hero of mine, now I am as white as one can get, but about the same age as Mohammed Ali, and was aware of him when he was referred to as gaseous Cassius. But him fighting against the idea of the draft gave me courage to do the same. Many guys my age went to Canada, but I lived in Minnesota and that was as cold as I wished to put up with so I slid across the Mexican border and lived 17 months there, before returning home.
[+] 3 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
06-06-2016, 04:50 PM
(06-06-2016 02:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Any journeyman boxer at all could whup me, but that's not the point. Ali in his prime could whup anyone, not just me. He whupped George Foreman at a time when Foreman was considered invincible. Foreman had knocked out people like Joe Frazier and Ken Norton (people who had beaten Ali) within the first few rounds. Nobody thought Ali had a chance against him. And Ali whupped him and whupped him good.

I read an interview with Foreman regarding The Rumble in the Jungle (paraphrased): "I thought I was gonna take him in the first 2 rounds. I was pounding him good. And then in the round 3 I hit him good and he fell into me and I thought 'Okay it's over. I got him this round.' and he told me during the clutch 'You're gonna have to do a lot better than that, George.' and that's when I knew I was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Interviewer: "How did you two become such good friends later?"
Foreman: "If you had whupped me like he did I'd be good friends with you too."

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-06-2016, 05:10 PM
(06-06-2016 01:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

If America consider a cheating husband,

JFK? MLK?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post