I am Atheist and was Hindu , so who are hindu-atheists here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 11:01 AM
RE: I am Atheist and was Hindu , so who are hindu-atheists here?
(13-10-2015 09:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 08:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I was born in Kerala, and came here when I was 3. We still have a house in India, and I visit every few years or so, but I've been raised in the US, served in the military here and all that good stuff.

(12-10-2015 09:29 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Adithseth,
Welcome to the forum. I am an Indian too (Keralite) and now an ex-Christian.

Tomasia, I had no idea that you are a Malayali. Namaskaram.

You'd think that with so many Indians in the forum, we'd be able to smell the place a mile away.

Doc

I'm in Kerala as well
which part of the sate exactly ? I'm in Ernakulam

Tiruvalla, originally.

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 11:09 AM by Tomasia.)
(13-10-2015 11:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 09:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  I'm in Kerala as well
which part of the sate exactly ? I'm in Ernakulam

Tiruvalla, originally.

Doc

Damn, I'm from Tiruvalla as well, the Kuttapuzha area I think, by the Marthoma College.

I wouldn't be surprised if our families knew each other, lol. We might even be family.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-10-2015, 11:17 AM
The Indians will be conspiring top take over TTA Tongue

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
13-10-2015, 11:43 AM
(13-10-2015 11:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 11:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Tiruvalla, originally.

Doc

Damn, I'm from Tiruvalla as well, the Kuttapuzha area I think, by the Marthoma College.

I wouldn't be surprised if our families knew each other, lol. We might even be family.

Now I'm glad I gave you a positive rep. Appachen may not have liked it if I ripped into you.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
13-10-2015, 12:30 PM
(13-10-2015 11:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 11:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Tiruvalla, originally.

Doc

well if that were the case then I wouldn't feel like the only atheist in the family Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
13-10-2015, 12:57 PM
(13-10-2015 11:17 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  The Indians will be conspiring top take over TTA Tongue

Actually, I have a business plan already. We are going to outsource atheism. For the low, low price of 1% of their income, believers who find it hard or dangerous to abandon their faith can outsource it to hard-working atheists in India who will disbelieve anything, like this:

Ring, ring...

Dave: Hello. Thank you for calling the Vicarious Atheist. My name is Reghunathan Chandapillai in Thiruvananthapuram. You can call me Dave. How may I assist you?

Caller: ..........

Dave: What's that? You find the Trinity hard to believe in? That's all right, sir. For the low, low price of 1% of your income (no refund), we can disbelieve that for you. And if you order today, we will include a bootleg copy of PeeKay, the latest Bollywood slum-buster.

Caller: ..........

Dave: References? Certainly. Mr. Abdullah Abu-Bakr of Baghdad. He had difficulty believing that Allah is Merciful and Compassionate but was afraid of being beheaded. We are his sole atheist representatives.

Caller:..........

Dave: You're welcome. Thank you for calling the Vicarious Atheist. Come again.

All I need now is a TV jingle for the ad. Something like this "If there's something hard, in your religion, who you gonna call? Godbusters!" I'm open to suggestions.

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
13-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Finding hindu atheists is pretty darn hard because it is really hard to pin down as a religion like the abrahamic faiths.

First of all, there is no strict authority to define hinduism, so each believer gets to make up own bs. The scriptures and texts are not entirely religion focused, like the original earliest veda didn't even deal with sacrifices or such religious ceremonies. The gita, the hindu answer to bible and quran came in much later. Most scriptures don't make claims to be god's word, rather they are to be seen as words of wise men. Combine that with the fact that you are not strictly required to believe in gods or deities (unless you follow the bhakti marg), and the spiritual/philosophical/woowoo nature, and you really cannot tackle it the same way as christianity or islam.

PS: the global flood? Hinduism has plagiarized that one too just like christianity, in the matsya avatar.

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 2 users Like Aoi Magi's post
13-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Popcorn

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-10-2015, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 07:12 AM by docskeptic.)
Ace,
How did you end up as an atheist in the heart of Christian Kerala? How is life as atheist there? Do you get a lot of grief from your friends and family?

Adiseth03,
Same question to you. How did you end up as an atheist in the Hindu north? Face any adversity?

Doc
14-10-2015, 08:39 AM
(14-10-2015 06:27 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Ace,
How did you end up as an atheist in the heart of Christian Kerala? How is life as atheist there? Do you get a lot of grief from your friends and family?

Adiseth03,
Same question to you. How did you end up as an atheist in the Hindu north? Face any adversity?

Doc

I became an atheist when I just asked myself these questions and the answers I got were well
1. what difference between praying at home and pray at a church ?
answer: you'll know the difference when you do both
well I did both, the only difference is I'm not paying money in one place and not surrounded by people
2. why the hell does an all powerful being even care about what anyone even prays for ?
answer: because he loves us
Facepalm sure he does (there was a 4yr old kid who died due to vomiting blood, his parents were staying at our house because it was near the hospital, not a pretty sight for my 5yr old eyes)
3. I pray that he will show me his face so why doesn't he do that ?
I got several answers to this one and I'm not gonna bother remembering them Dodgy

I didn't even like going to church and so I rebelled by not going at all and haven't regretted it at all
sunday schools were boring as hell, the more I went there the more dumbfounded I became as to how gullible someone actually is

grief ? nope
but my folks are pretty much just babble on about how important believing is and I just tell em to either produce the evidence which silences them for a while

my most friends don't really care much about it, some don't even know what atheism even is
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post