I am a Christian--again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
RE: I am a Christian--again
(04-11-2012 01:53 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 10:49 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I still have this tiny fear in my mind from my indoctrination. I know its never going to go away and I have learnt to accept it..
I grew out of mine eventually. It only took a decade or two. Give it time. Don't lose hope.
Thanks! It still there but I tend to block it. It usually comes when I have a weird panic attack about death.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
(04-11-2012 01:03 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 10:49 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Hi Egor! I don't really know you that much but from what I gather from this thread is you were never an atheist in the first place. Once you have logic, it kinda sticks. Did you decide to be religious because you felt like your life has no purpose? Was it the fear from being an atheist that there isn't a loving deity? Or was the fear from the indoctrination as child still present?

All of the above. What does that prove about God? Unsure

I still have this tiny fear in my mind from my indoctrination. I know its never going to go away and I have learnt to accept it.. When I let my mind explore and entertain the idea of a God, I get this weird blur in my mind. Then I don't feel anything. Nothing. Not a revelation or a sudden epiphany. I don't know maybe you didn't want to believe in God, so you explored. You got frustrated with all these alternatives. So you went back.
:/ I don't know... I maybe off scale. But I wish you all the luck and if you start doubting, you know where to come. Smile

Sorry you never developed a head for God. And as for knowing where to come--I'm not going anywhere. Evil_monster

How are you so sure that I never developed a head for God? When you say I never developed a head for God, do you mean I was never religious or was my previous faith in God not as strong as yours? Are you staying at the forum or do you mean you're not going anywhere in terms of your belief?
You seem conflicted. I think there is a rational side of you but the fear took over. You didn't fight back. The struggle is hard. While for me there is apathy towards the existence of God , the fear in me is still there. Religion scares the shit out of me. The hold of it. That's why I fight back. I don't like how religion can make you do things. The way people worship a God that may not even exist. That's why I don't like hearing things about supernatural. Especially me being african, my culture centers around the superstitious.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 2 users Like tazmin98's post
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I am a Christian--again
(04-11-2012 04:34 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 01:53 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I grew out of mine eventually. It only took a decade or two. Give it time. Don't lose hope.
Thanks! It still there but I tend to block it. It usually comes when I have a weird panic attack about death.

Yup, been there. Don't have that problem any more.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I am a Christian--again
(04-11-2012 04:02 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 01:43 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Egor, I think it's time to face facts. After this endless parade of nonsensical ideologies that you throw yourself into, the one after the other, giving yourself mental whiplash each time, I think it's time you found yourself some stability.

You need to admit it, Egor. You need atheism like a nun needs cock.

Badly.

And to drive my point home so that you don't think I'm just being offensive or shocking for the sake of it, allow me to explain my metaphor:

You need atheism like a nun needs cock because while a nun may be happy living in her convent denying her natural functions, she would probably be a lot happier and a lot more societally productive if she quit the convent and spent some time doing the short horizontal pole dance with some nice guy so that she'd have something to think about other than Jesus Jesus Jesus and instead contribute directly to the health of society by giving someone happiness directly and feeling happy herself instead of feeling guilt over her natural urges.

That's you, except replace cock with atheism.

(this will work better if you imagine a jaunty tune going in the background)

You need to stop obsessing over metaphysical improbabilities of irritating impeccably irrelevant irrationalities about deities who engage in illicit improprieties but claim moral superiority or super man authority or whatever pantheist crap, so listen, just drop the act, you won't snap, just go and look into the void and it'll look back. And after that you'll know that you won't crack because the inferiority you've assumed a priori is just so much shit. Now you've listened to my bit. You'll probably realize that Tim Minchin inspired it. But I hope you take some wisdom from me,

Stop worrying and just be.

Come on, Phaedrus! Just get it over with and ask Egor out on a date already!

[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
(04-11-2012 07:50 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 04:02 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  And to drive my point home so that you don't think I'm just being offensive or shocking for the sake of it, allow me to explain my metaphor:

You need atheism like a nun needs cock because while a nun may be happy living in her convent denying her natural functions, she would probably be a lot happier and a lot more societally productive if she quit the convent and spent some time doing the short horizontal pole dance with some nice guy so that she'd have something to think about other than Jesus Jesus Jesus and instead contribute directly to the health of society by giving someone happiness directly and feeling happy herself instead of feeling guilt over her natural urges.

That's you, except replace cock with atheism.

(this will work better if you imagine a jaunty tune going in the background)

You need to stop obsessing over metaphysical improbabilities of irritating impeccably irrelevant irrationalities about deities who engage in illicit improprieties but claim moral superiority or super man authority or whatever pantheist crap, so listen, just drop the act, you won't snap, just go and look into the void and it'll look back. And after that you'll know that you won't crack because the inferiority you've assumed a priori is just so much shit. Now you've listened to my bit. You'll probably realize that Tim Minchin inspired it. But I hope you take some wisdom from me,

Stop worrying and just be.

Come on, Phaedrus! Just get it over with and ask Egor out on a date already!
The hunt is more fun than the kill. Just watch, soon I'll have him asking *me* out. Cool

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
(04-11-2012 09:22 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 07:50 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Come on, Phaedrus! Just get it over with and ask Egor out on a date already!
The hunt is more fun than the kill. Just watch, soon I'll have him asking *me* out. Cool
[Image: 129122614555527345.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM

(04-11-2012 07:20 AM)summersun2828 Wrote:  Thank you for your welcome. Acknowledging that I may be partly right about your being superstitious and it being related to your religious beliefs, to me, indicate that you know that you are just going back to being a Christian as a safety blanket.

So?

Quote:It's something that you have found difficult to let go of completely and instead of growing up and standing up, independently, on your own two feet, you've gone running back to grab hold of it again because being without its comfort scares you.

Thanks for describing the water I'm drowning in. But my reasons or motivations have nothing to do with the truth of the matter. Either there is a God and Jesus is his image to human beings, or there isn't. What I feel has nothing to do with that. Drinking Beverage

summersun Wrote:Where's your evidence for saying that "most atheists actually cling to previous Christian ideals"? and that they " secretly hope that God exists and will respect their "rational" approach should they die and face judgment" ? How have you come to that conclusion with regards to "most Atheists" ?

It's just my opinion based on years of dealing with atheists online.

Quote:And may I say that I take umbrage to your saying that, "The results of disbelief in God, in my opinion, is an inevitable decline in moral character and social responsibility, a devolution of the human being back the human animal."

You take whaa...? Hobo

Quote:You are clearly making a sweeping statement here saying that non believers' moral characters are lesser than those of believers, in fact what you are saying is that non believers have regressed to just following their animal instincts.

They would if they actually considered the implications of their beliefs and then continued to hold those same beliefs. Most atheists don't do that. You don't do that.

Quote:That is not so and I struggle to understand where it is you have picked this kind of thinking up from.

Well, there was this one time at band camp...

Quote:Does that mean that, in your mind, if a person is an unbeliever they are more morally debased than a believer due to the virtue of the fact that they just don't believe in your god?

Yep. But most atheists do--they just like to act like they don't

Quote:I know plenty of people who are non believers and let me assure you that they do not live any less of a moral life than anyone else. In fact, they don't need a book to tell them right from wrong or a mythical deity to show them how to behave and interact with their fellow man.

...I'm sorry, did you say they didn't need a book? Oh yes they do. Either they follow the Bible or they follow the Penal Code of the state they live in. Our whole Western sense of justice and morality is based on the Bible and the teachings of Jesus Christ. Besides, doesn't your profile go on at some length about how you grew up as a Jehova's Wittness. Your whole sense of right and wrong comes from that and you know it. Why don't you try being honest for once. I'm honest with you, aren't I? Beat_stick

[/quote]
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM

(04-11-2012 04:02 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  You need atheism like a nun needs cock because while a nun may be happy living in her convent denying her natural functions...

Creepy disgusting pig.

QED. Censored
04-11-2012, 11:19 PM

(04-11-2012 05:03 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  You seem conflicted. I think there is a rational side of you but the fear took over. You didn't fight back.

Translated: "The rest of us are swimming in the ocean and drowning one by one; you got on the boat; fear took over; you didn't keep fighting the water." No

Quote:The struggle is hard. While for me there is apathy towards the existence of God , the fear in me is still there. Religion scares the shit out of me. The hold of it. That's why I fight back. I don't like how religion can make you do things.

Demon possession is a bitch. Evil_monster

Quote:The way people worship a God that may not even exist. That's why I don't like hearing things about supernatural. Especially me being african, my culture centers around the superstitious.

Hey! You should read my blovel, "Rise of the Zombie Lords." One of the main Characters is a Haitian Voodoo Priest. I'm about to introduce him.

...what? I'm American; I market. Cool
04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I am sensing we have a troll of the worst kind here. Pose as one of us, then have a supposed re-conversion in the hopes that at least one of us goes with him. Well, it is not going to work. I think all of us are too set in our ways.