I am a Christian--again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
RE: I am a Christian--again
(02-11-2012 03:01 PM)Janus VI Wrote:  "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."
Does that really sound good to you? God cares more about 1 person than about 99? What utterly senseless logic from a supposedly omniscient being. Only blind believers would see something good in that quote. (That's not intended to be insulting. It's just my honest description of what that looks like from my viewpoint.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 11:47 AM
"I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in Asgard over one warrior who dies in battle than over ninety-nine warriors who do not die."

Myth is myth.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
(05-11-2012 11:37 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 02:51 PM)Egor Wrote:  All I know is that atheism leads to a corruption of the human mind and character, and I won’t be part of it.
I respect your returning to Christianity. I don't agree with it, but I respect that it's your decision to make. However, I must express my disagreement with the part of your post that I quoted. There are good and bad atheists just as there are good and bad Christians and good and bad people. Atheism neither makes someone good or makes them bad. The concepts of atheism and morality are completely separate. Unlike religion, atheism doesn't teach anything about morality. And one does not have to believe in a religion to have good morals or to remain "uncorrupted". In fact, it is believing in religion that often leads to immorality. There are many things taught in religion that would be obviously immoral even to believers if one removed the "God says it's right" part.
I don't think he believes what he typed either. He is justifying his need to 'return to God'. Deep down, he knows we aren't all immoral, corrupted, or bad. He is telling himself, and by extension us, that we are fucked up bad seeds. That's okay, I have confidence he will eventually overcome his fears and be back to doubting in due time. Whatever, I would rather him deny his reason if he was happier for it.

05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
(03-11-2012 12:48 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 12:13 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  What effects exactly?

There is no way to escape the existential worthlessness that comes with atheism. You can stuff it down, ignore it, use all kinds of psychological defenses to cope with it; you can even pretend your life has whatever purpose you assign it, but in the end it doesn't work. Eventually the self-esteem is eroded and replaced with varying degrees of narcissism. But narcissism is inherently anti-social, and projection is innevitable. The worthlessness of the self is projected onto others--quite logically, as it were. It becomes easier to be rude, crude, ill-mannered, and basically anti-social.

Still, the devolution continues; Hedonism becomes the greatest good, again quite logically, and an inappropriate lust for life leads to a kind of cowardice and dishonor, and of course an utter over-reaction to religions. Religions condemn atheism and produce more socially acceptable human beings.

I was asked a question, and I answered it honestly. It's my opinion. I'm not implicating anyone in this group personally. If you find yourself convicted by what I've said, perhaps you should examine why that is. Yes
I'm beginning to see why you are uncomfortable with atheism. I don't find anything accurate in what you said here, but it does reveal your perspective about atheism. As an atheist, I feel no more worthless now than I did when I was a believer. Nor am I any more narcissistic or even anti-social. Quite on the contrary, life has infinitely more meaning with other people. We all depend on each other at various levels and humanity is better because of it (the whole is more than the sum of its parts). In fact, when I was a Catholic, it was all too easy to either look down on or pity non-Catholics because I was in the group that was "in the know". Today, as an atheist, there are no groups, just people (well ok, maybe groups of believers and non-believers). Without the groupings, it's far easier to be social with everyone, not just Catholics and to consider the true welfare of everyone, not just those who are following the "right" path.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
(03-11-2012 03:55 AM)Egor Wrote:  I mean, you can't deny that the influence of Jesus Christ has influenced human evolution.
If the tale of Jesus Christ's divinity had not taken root, I wonder what tale would have taken it's place in influencing human development. Please ponder. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Egor, why can't you be like KC? He is a complete nutter too, but he is nice about and is just like any normal person. Which is why he is awesome.
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
(05-11-2012 11:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 06:55 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Everyone seems to be praising this guy because he's so "great" and we're all sitting back while he "flip-flops" from one belief to another, but not many seem to be calling him out on this bullshit.

We're letting him find out for himself. Egor is not someone who's looking to convert other people (not now anyway), he's exploring to find answers himself. So we don't feel that... need to bash his beliefs, because we know that sooner or later he will think about things and maybe flip-flop again. Flip flopping has a bad name but I see it as honesty.

For myself... Egor I would count now as a friend, he's been on the forum probably as long as me. As a friend, I'd feel rude to just pile into him Tongue Not to say let it go, but just... I'll probably be a lot nicer about arguing than if it was some guy spouting hellfire and brimstone at me.

Which is not to say that you should hold back Wink
Fortunately, I've got no connection with the guy and irrationality is irrationality. Big Grin

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
(04-11-2012 11:19 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 05:03 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  You seem conflicted. I think there is a rational side of you but the fear took over. You didn't fight back.

Translated: "The rest of us are swimming in the ocean and drowning one by one; you got on the boat; fear took over; you didn't keep fighting the water." No

Quote:The struggle is hard. While for me there is apathy towards the existence of God , the fear in me is still there. Religion scares the shit out of me. The hold of it. That's why I fight back. I don't like how religion can make you do things.

Demon possession is a bitch. Evil_monster

Quote:The way people worship a God that may not even exist. That's why I don't like hearing things about supernatural. Especially me being african, my culture centers around the superstitious.

Hey! You should read my blovel, "Rise of the Zombie Lords." One of the main Characters is a Haitian Voodoo Priest. I'm about to introduce him.

...what? I'm American; I market. Cool

._."
Egor you could've told me I was bullshitting you. You don't have to be polite and sarcastic about it.
You really need to get laid. With two cocks up your arse called rationality and atheism. Maybe when you come back to the forum, you will have all that unresolved sexual tension sort out. Don't push yourself. Angel
[Image: 24340574.jpg]
Don't take this to heart.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
05-11-2012, 01:05 PM
(05-11-2012 12:18 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 03:55 AM)Egor Wrote:  I mean, you can't deny that the influence of Jesus Christ has influenced human evolution.
If the tale of Jesus Christ's divinity had not taken root, I wonder what tale would have taken it's place in influencing human development. Please ponder. Consider
Maybe something easier to get rid of? Or at least less poisonous and harmful to the human spirit and dignity. We will never know and this makes me infinitely sad.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
(05-11-2012 01:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:18 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If the tale of Jesus Christ's divinity had not taken root, I wonder what tale would have taken it's place in influencing human development. Please ponder. Consider
Maybe something easier to get rid of? Or at least less poisonous and harmful to the human spirit and dignity. We will never know and this makes me infinitely sad.
Yes, maybe even something better and more helpful.