I am a Christian--again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 07:25 AM
RE: I am a Christian--again
God is a vector of communication. I can communicate with Christians with a Bible; being a prophet is being a disease vector in that data stream. Make a bunch of Gwynnites. Heart

Egor is terrified that God is not real, because then he won't be real. Buncha atheists demanding proof, wanna be real.

Cannot run away from nothing. Forwards and backwards, nothing. Now for however long you will it. There's your freedom. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 07:33 AM
(06-11-2012 02:35 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  By becoming rational, by understanding that your Christian belief is incoherent and untenable.

Don’t you worry about hell? What makes you think you’ll escape it? Seriously, for all you know there is a hell and failing to grow spiritually gets you thrown in there. Don’t you worry about that? Evil_monster

Since there is no life after death and no hell, no - I don't worry about it. At all.

And I am growing spiritually by learning more about the universe.

You, on the other hand, are stuck and not growing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
(05-11-2012 03:15 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 04:50 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Do you understand how evolution works?
You really don't want to answer do you?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
06-11-2012, 09:17 AM
(06-11-2012 09:07 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You really don't want to answer do you?

(16-07-2012 08:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And as usual, big E only chews on the fluff he can dispute, and ignores the protein. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
06-11-2012, 09:25 AM
You probably have lots and lots of free time and think that spending some time in church wont be bad, or maybe you just are very susceptible to emotional manipulations and they got you again.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
06-11-2012, 10:40 AM
(06-11-2012 03:11 AM)Egor Wrote:  That's right: there is no moral system in atheism. So a person is left to do what is right or wrong based on how they feel at the time. Angel Censored Evil_monster Hobo
There is no moral system in atheism because atheism is nothing more than not having a belief in a god. Morality is a separate concept. That, however, is not the same as saying atheists have no morals.

Quote:How do you determine what is right and wrong?
That's a very complex topic that's difficult to answer in a brief messageboard post. But, in part, it amounts to always doing only what's best for all parties concerned. So it means avoiding doing harm to someone unless the benefits of the harm outweigh the harm (for example, causing pain to heal a life-threatening wound when there is no other alternative). It also means helping out someone who is suffering harm if you have the means to do so even if you aren't directly causing the harm. As I said, it's complex. But let me ask you this: Do you only do what's morally right because a god says it's morally right? Would you stop doing those things if you could be sure no god exists?

Quote:Except now you look down on Catholics and think you’re in a group that’s “in the know.” So much for growth through atheism. Dodgy
No I don't. I disagree with their viewpoint, but I certainly don't look down on them. On the contrary, I know exactly what it's like to be a believer having been one myself so I remain respectful of them.

Quote:Why? Consider
You had said:
"I mean, you can't deny that the influence of Jesus Christ has influenced human evolution."
It seemed to me that you were trying to use the influence of Jesus Christ to support the idea that he is God, as though such influence would not have happened unless he was. My point was, had he never existed, it is highly likely that someone else - who obviously would not have been God - would have been highly influential instead either then or some time later. The people of the time period were superstitious and gullible. If it wasn't Jesus, it likely would have been someone else. The influence is not evidence of his divinity. It may be evidence of his charisma or people's gulliblity or the power of a great tale enhanced over time by human imagination, but it's not evidence of his divinity.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM

(06-11-2012 09:07 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You really don't want to answer do you?

No, won't you please teach me?
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

(06-11-2012 10:40 AM)Impulse Wrote:  You had said:
"I mean, you can't deny that the influence of Jesus Christ has influenced human evolution."
It seemed to me that you were trying to use the influence of Jesus Christ to support the idea that he is God, as though such influence would not have happened unless he was. My point was, had he never existed, it is highly likely that someone else - who obviously would not have been God - would have been highly influential instead either then or some time later. The people of the time period were superstitious and gullible. If it wasn't Jesus, it likely would have been someone else. The influence is not evidence of his divinity. It may be evidence of his charisma or people's gulliblity or the power of a great tale enhanced over time by human imagination, but it's not evidence of his divinity.

Sure it is.
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM

(06-11-2012 09:17 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

(16-07-2012 08:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And as usual, big E only chews on the fluff he can dispute, and ignores the protein. Tongue

I'm sorry, but if you think I'm going to get into a debate over evolution with someone who uses a preteen avatar, you're nuts. Hobo
06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
(06-11-2012 01:57 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'm sorry, but if you think I'm going to get into a debate over evolution with someone who uses a preteen avatar, you're nuts. Hobo
Don't worry about that, I don't expect trolls to do anything like that. Angel

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]