I am a Christian--again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
RE: I am a Christian--again
(06-11-2012 04:42 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 04:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It would be mighty boring here without theists to play with.
Now Eegs, are you having a re-dunking, oops, baptism ?

Do you really think I was ever not a Christian? Seriously, do you really think I ever fell out of love with Christ? No
No Eeegs. You are the same guy. You are now, and have always been a really good, caring person at heart. I think when we "name" that *goodness*, or what we call that *goodness*, we use different names at different times. I think you have different *names* and different understandings of that what you change the name of, at different times. Some people *call* it "god", some call it other things, ("christ"). Biblical scholars know that the concepts of "Anointed One", "Exalted One", "Messiah" are *extrapolations* or "further affirmations" of the human (Jesus as a human), *raised* (metaphorically, not literally). For someone at you level of literary accomplishment, I don't care what you *call*it, or *name* it, as I know you *get* the nuance involved. For Fundamentalists who don't get the nuance, I resist such use of some words, as they clearly don't get what they're talking about. Both you and Kingsy would make great scholars of Religion, in serious academic, (but non-Fundie) universities. You should consider it. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
(07-11-2012 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 08:28 AM)Vera Wrote:  Do you guys know that the Italian slang for a certain part of the female anatomy is fica, which comes from the Latin for the "fruit of the fig-tree"? D'you think this may in some way account for Jesus's anti-fig vendetta Consider
You know, that's REALLY interesting. Did you know in some of the Gnostic traditions in the Coptic (North Egypt) texts Jesus thought only males had value, and there was a text where he said he would turn Mary Magdalen into a man so she could be an authentic member of the group. (The Gospel of Thomas). There is also The Secret Gospel of Mark, when the "young man" in Mark, (naked in the white sheet), is Jesus' "friend". Very interesting.
Wow, he totally should've done it! Or at least taught someone how to do it. Just think about all those transgender people and how much money they would be saving today on sex reassignment procedures. Such a wasted opportunity.

In all seriousness, I'm not nearly as well-acquainted with apocrypha and the gospels themselves as you are, but that sounds a lot like them borrowing more stuff (wanted to say crap, but chose not to) from Aristotle and his misguided ideas about men and women, though come to think about it, it was somewhat later that they started to revere him so much (Aristotle I mean).
Whatever the reason, there's certainly something fishy here... or is it figgy Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
07-11-2012, 12:32 PM
(07-11-2012 12:16 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You know, that's REALLY interesting. Did you know in some of the Gnostic traditions in the Coptic (North Egypt) texts Jesus thought only males had value, and there was a text where he said he would turn Mary Magdalen into a man so she could be an authentic member of the group. (The Gospel of Thomas). There is also The Secret Gospel of Mark, when the "young man" in Mark, (naked in the white sheet), is Jesus' "friend". Very interesting.
Wow, he totally should've done it! Or at least taught someone how to do it. Just think about all those transgender people and how much money they would be saving today on sex reassignment procedures. Such a wasted opportunity.

In all seriousness, I'm not nearly as well-acquainted with apocrypha and the gospels themselves as you are, but that sounds a lot like them borrowing more stuff (wanted to say crap, but chose not to) from Aristotle and his misguided ideas about men and women, though come to think about it, it was somewhat later that they started to revere him so much (Aristotle I mean).
Whatever the reason, there's certainly something fishy here... or is it figgy Consider
This past summer I almost got asked to leave a library during Summer Session as I started laughing out loud. Aquinas took his view of women directly from Aristotle. In his Compendium of Theology, I discovered he wrote something like "The reason the serpent chose to approach Eve first about eating the apple was that the 'light of reason shone less brightly in her' ". I started laughing so hard, they wondered what I was reading. When they saw what it was, they were NOT pleased. (It was a religious intuition's library).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-11-2012, 12:45 PM
(07-11-2012 12:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This past summer I almost got asked to leave a library during Summer Session as I started laughing out loud. Aquinas took his view of women directly from Aristotle. In his Compendium of Theology, I discovered he wrote something like "The reason the serpent chose to approach Eve first about eating the apple was that the 'light of reason shone less brightly in her' ". I started laughing so hard, they wondered what I was reading. When they saw what it was, they were NOT pleased. (It was a religious intuition's library).
It would be even funnier, if it hadn't led to so much oppression...

But Aquinas explanation is truly the best (though I'm willing to bet that had it been the forbidden steak or cheeseburger, the snake just might have approached Adam, I mean, you try forcing an apple - or any fruit or vegetable - on most men)... Though now I'm confused, they had (the light of) reason in them, but not knowledge? Huh?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."