Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-11-2012, 08:55 PM

RE: I am a Christian--again
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, I have to give you this at least, Ed. A true free thinker is able to try an idea on, even if it's for a little while. Think about it, ponder it, contemplate it, be skeptical of it, beat it with a hammer and if it doesn't work out... they can move onto another idea. So I have to at least give you a hats off for being willing to try ideas, write about them, share your experiences and what you think. Regardless if people agree or not.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
(02-11-2012 08:55 PM)Egor Wrote:  There has to be a God. That's not fear, that's logic. And if there is a God, then there has to be a way to understand Him that's been given to human beings, because God, Himself, cannot be understood--there's no way. So, Christ becomes a kind of graphical user interface for God. And that's never going to go away, no matter what. People will always read the Gospels and sense a truth to them.

There is no God. That's not denial, that's logic. And since there is no God, we look for understanding in evidence, reason, and logic.

Quote:What can I say? One explores various avenues, evaluates them and makes a decision.

Exactly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 09:08 PM
(02-11-2012 02:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  Thinking critically and excluding the idea of God is incompatible. The idea that you can maintain your character and reject Christ (or the idea of Christ as he's presented in other religions) is also incompatible.
You're right: I am afraid to disbelieve. I've seen the results of it. And this became obvious in another atheist forum I visit "Rational Skepticism."
What results do you speak of? Consider

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
02-11-2012, 09:19 PM

(02-11-2012 08:56 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Well, I have to give you this at least, Ed. A true free thinker is able to try an idea on, even if it's for a little while. Think about it, ponder it, contemplate it, be skeptical of it, beat it with a hammer and if it doesn't work out... they can move onto another idea. So I have to at least give you a hats off for being willing to try ideas, write about them, share your experiences and what you think. Regardless if people agree or not.

Thanks, Logisch. And I have a different perspective now than I did before. I don't see a reason to be at war with atheists like I used to. I don't feel as judgmental. I like the debate, but I really don't know who's going to hell or who isn't. Even Jesus isn't clear about that. Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM

(02-11-2012 09:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no God. That's not denial, that's logic. And since there is no God, we look for understanding in evidence, reason, and logic.

Of course there's a God, and you wouldn't have reason or logic if there wasn't. If there's no God, there is no such thing as reason or logic--there is only chaos. Dodgy
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Why so sure about there being a god? don't get me wrong, if you choose to believe it's all good, but being sure that there's a god is a big leap. You can always be an agnostic theist and that would be more logically sound.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I am a Christian--again
(02-11-2012 08:55 PM)Egor Wrote:  Not so much in this forum, no. But in general, I find the atheist mentality degrading to the human character. I'm not accusing anyone of any particular immorality, I am talking about the general affects of atheism in the long run.

What effects exactly?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Hey, Ed... I'm here for you, buddy. You've been through a lot. Let me know if you need anything.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]