I am a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 08:23 AM
RE: I am a Christian

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-03-2016, 08:36 AM
(04-03-2016 08:23 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

Says it all, really.Smile

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
04-03-2016, 08:36 AM
(04-03-2016 04:22 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  Hmm. Well lets talk about atheism.

Atheism is a belief that there is no God, often based on observation of the known universe.

That's one kind of atheism. It's not the only kind.
04-03-2016, 08:38 AM
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I was viewing a particular thread about how a user was banned from christianChat.com, a website i dont care so much for, but i digress.

the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?

as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

Of course all atheists aren't. Are all Christians like the slimy and dishonest Sye Ten Bruggencate? I'm a rational and worthwhile atheist so you can talk to me, though I'll warn you up front that I'm blunt and to the point and my criticism of Christianity comes at the fundamental level. So I'm not going to haggle over what a particular passage in the Bible means but will attack the claims of Christianity at their root such as Christianity's basis in metaphysical subjectivism, it's denial of the axioms of philosophy and its non-objective starting point.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
04-03-2016, 08:39 AM
(04-03-2016 04:22 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  this is in fact my argument: Atheists want others to be atheist because of a variety of reasons. The first reason I see is that they hate God, or the idea of God, because it goes against their instincts, core of who they are, or natural self.

Actually, I just detest the assholes who think their god has appointed them to come and lecture me. [Image: 2yuwnlx.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-03-2016, 08:47 AM
(03-03-2016 03:48 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I was viewing a particular thread about how a user was banned from christianChat.com, a website i dont care so much for, but i digress.

the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?

as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

Last year, or was it the year before?, life flows so quickly these days, I registered with a christian web site. I declared myself as an atheist pretty quickly because I felt that it was the right, proper and honest thing to do. Why? I wanted to understand how they handled their cognitive dissonance, amongst other things. I wasn't 'pushy', I didn't swear and I wasn't impolite in any way, shape or form. My first encounter was pretty mild. However, I couldn't believe or understand what illogical tripe was uttered. I started to 'argue', in the scientific sense, and ... was instantly banned without warning, without course for complaint and without the possibility of the ban ever being lifted. Not only that, it appears that my details were sent to every christian forum on the net because can I register with any other christian forum on the planet? Nope. I understand that this is common practice.

I join atheist forums. Even though they are painted as being ungodly and evil, all can register and post, including theists, and few are banned. In fact, one has to be pretty extreme to be banned. Being a theist isn't extreme, btw. It's illogical, yes but extreme? Nope.

It appears that theists are tolerated, and even welcomed, on atheist forums but atheists are banned from theist forums.

Says it all, doesn't it?

If you are an effective debater, you will get banned. At least that's my experience. I was on a Christian forum for a while and one day I couldn't log in. Tried to change my password and couldn't. I was polite, got no warnings or messages from the admin.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
04-03-2016, 08:50 AM
(04-03-2016 04:29 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  but none of this really strikes me as a good reason for atheist to be activists about atheism. so, my question to you, sir, is what reason do atheists have to want others to be atheists?

I don't care what you believers believe. I just want you believers to return the fucking courtesy, and keep your beliefs to yourself.

Religious faith is like a dick -- it's great that you have one, bravo for you, now please quit trying to stick it down my throat.

So long as believers are going to be preachy, they have no business complaining about atheists wanting to be left alone.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-03-2016, 08:51 AM
(03-03-2016 03:48 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  

Last year, or was it the year before?, life flows so quickly these days, I registered with a christian web site. I declared myself as an atheist pretty quickly because I felt that it was the right, proper and honest thing to do. Why? I wanted to understand how they handled their cognitive dissonance, amongst other things. I wasn't 'pushy', I didn't swear and I wasn't impolite in any way, shape or form. My first encounter was pretty mild. However, I couldn't believe or understand what illogical tripe was uttered. I started to 'argue', in the scientific sense, and ... was instantly banned without warning, without course for complaint and without the possibility of the ban ever being lifted. Not only that, it appears that my details were sent to every christian forum on the net because can I register with any other christian forum on the planet? Nope. I understand that this is common practice.

I join atheist forums. Even though they are painted as being ungodly and evil, all can register and post, including theists, and few are banned. In fact, one has to be pretty extreme to be banned. Being a theist isn't extreme, btw. It's illogical, yes but extreme? Nope.

It appears that theists are tolerated, and even welcomed, on atheist forums but atheists are banned from theist forums.

Says it all, doesn't it?

Yes it does. Their beliefs can't stand up to rational scrutiny. They have to protect the sensitive ears and eyes of the believer from reason lest they start to doubt.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
04-03-2016, 09:01 AM
(04-03-2016 05:36 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 04:57 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Firstly, let me correct some of your statements. Atheism isn't a belief system. It is a rejection of the god theory on the basis that it has failed to meet its burden of proof. If you believe that god exists, then there is a burden of proof on you to show that he/she/it exists. If you meet that burden of proof, then we will believe. Why would we do otherwise. It would be illogical.

Secondly, Theism isn't a belief in a god based on observation. There is nothing that I am aware of in the universe that implies a creator. Theism is based on belief - not FACT. If you can offer proof of god, let's hear it. we all could do with a laugh. Many have offered proof in the past. None that I am aware of have ever succeeded.

Thirdly, Atheists do not want to spread atheism as far as I know. I can only speak for myself. I want christians to stop spreading christianity to our young. They are impressionable. In doing so, it teaches them to think irrationally and illogically. Why stop at christianity? Why not teach them that Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, Leprechauns and fairies at the bottom of the garden exist too? There's no more proof that they exist than there is that god exists.

Fourthly, You claim that we hate god. god doesn't exist. How can anyone hate something that doesn't exist?

Lastly, the bible was written by Man in order to control Man. It is pure, unadulterated evil. There are some passages that are disgusting. How anyone, let alone someone who pretends to be about peace, love, forgiveness and understanding, revere it is beyond me.

I would also point out that many of your bible stories are just that - stories. Many have been discredited many times over. Why do christians continue to teach these stories as fact?

I'll stop there and let you respond.

Atheism is a belief that there is not a God. Lack of opinion on the matter would be a non-belief non-system. If you state there is, or you state there isn't, either way its a belief system (that there is or there isn't a god).

If the burden of proof had been met, i do wonder would people continue to say it had not been met? If at a time in history people were dancing about and one guy said, "there is a God!" and someone replied "You are wrong!" and he said, "I will prove it. if there is a God then fire will rain down on this rock." then, at that time, there was a meteor that flew out of the sky and the rock was obliterated and burnt up, then the people there said "ok, we take it back" and then if it was recorded in 10 books, 2 of which still exist, the rest discounted, then, we get to today,....
(extremely long run on sentence intentional, lack of breath if spoken this way, almost comical)

thennnn... we would have met the burden of proof, it would be logical to say God is existent. But lets get real, if this was the case, if this was the truth that really happened, you would still be sitting here saying the burden of proof is not met.

however from my point of view, it is met in various forms, that proof is just rejected.

now, the observation that proves God's existence in my opinion is the existence of a logical universe. or more precisely, its our logical existence in a universe that tends to disorder over order.

but, i would like to put all these trivial arguments aside and focus on the meat of the issue.

If I did claim that Atheist hate God, or the idea of God, and yet God doesnt exist, then my point would be exactly that. you cant hate something that doesnt exist, and yet, some do.

however, i don't claim that. i said its a possibility i could guess as to the reason. i don't know that's the case at all. its just maybe something that would explain it.

The bible was written by men about men. of course there is pure evil in it. we are men... its history. I wont justify that God told nations to go to war and wipe out opposing people, but i believe that i might one day be wiped out by an opposing person, and it wont be wrong because i am not innocent. if i die of an infection, by God's hand, it wont be anything more than i deserve really... so i wont pretend God is evil if he does the same to someone else, who may deserve it equally.

Let's be intellectually honest about it. You believe because you want to believe. Therefore, you search for what passes as evidence in your world, to support your beliefs. Evidence to the contrary is then conveniently ignored because it doesn't fit your world view.

You are now beginning to understand a little of why we believe what we believe and why we don't what we don't believe.

I see very little open mindedness in your responses. It seems that your view of us is highly speculative and based upon pre-conceived notions which are, for the most part, incorrect.

You claim, for example, that we hate god. Your own logic should tell you that this is impossible, given our non-belief in god.

You claim that atheism is a belief system in spite of the fact that we tell you this is not so. What this implies is that you are attempting, but failing miserably, to inflict your belief about us upon us in order that we then fit with your world view of us. I am beginning to understand now how and why christians believe in god without any apparent cognitive dissonance. It's because you view the world as you wish to perceive it. Is this not so? As long as you are able to keep up this pretense that the world really is as you wish to see it, the cognitive dissonance does not kick in.

As long as you keep believing that we are atheists because we hate your god, then that's fine for you. Your cognitive dissonance will not surface.

The reality is that we don't hate your god because your god doesn't exist.

Now deal with that reality.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 3 users Like god has no twitter account's post
04-03-2016, 09:04 AM
(04-03-2016 08:47 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 03:48 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Last year, or was it the year before?, life flows so quickly these days, I registered with a christian web site. I declared myself as an atheist pretty quickly because I felt that it was the right, proper and honest thing to do. Why? I wanted to understand how they handled their cognitive dissonance, amongst other things. I wasn't 'pushy', I didn't swear and I wasn't impolite in any way, shape or form. My first encounter was pretty mild. However, I couldn't believe or understand what illogical tripe was uttered. I started to 'argue', in the scientific sense, and ... was instantly banned without warning, without course for complaint and without the possibility of the ban ever being lifted. Not only that, it appears that my details were sent to every christian forum on the net because can I register with any other christian forum on the planet? Nope. I understand that this is common practice.

Says it all, doesn't it?

If you are an effective debater, you will get banned. At least that's my experience. I was on a Christian forum for a while and one day I couldn't log in. Tried to change my password and couldn't. I was polite, got no warnings or messages from the admin.

Same happened to me.

If they were secure in their beliefs, we wouldn't have been banned.