I am a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 09:41 AM
RE: I am a Christian
(04-03-2016 04:22 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  Hmm. Well lets talk about atheism.

Atheism is a belief that there is no God, often based on observation of the known universe.

Theism is a belief that there is a God, often based on observation of the known universe.

Now I understand why Christians would want to share the gospel, as they believe that they have found something positive and necessary for humans to believe, but what is the isolated reason for atheist wanting to spread atheism?

this is in fact my argument: Atheists want others to be atheist because of a variety of reasons. The first reason I see is that they hate God, or the idea of God, because it goes against their instincts, core of who they are, or natural self.

If this is true, the bible spells this out, saying that man is set against God, and it would make sense that the selfish arrogance in all of us would strike against the idea of God.

(breather for comments)

How can I hate something that doesn't exist?

Sure a fictional character can be disliked even hated, but I also realize that it's fiction. I'm not supposed to build my whole life around it, because that would be crazy.

I've never seen people going door to door wanting to speak about atheism.

Atheism is only a disbelief in god(s). There is literally little else as a collective on this forum agree on, up to and including who should be banned from it.

Atheists are routinely banned from Christian forums, yet, we have a few good theist types that don't come here with preconceived notions about who we are as people (which sounds dumb, but isn't). They actually take their time getting to know us (they participate in other areas of this forum too) and by that they learn what atheists think. Instead of telling us what we think.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
(04-03-2016 06:04 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  ---

the word atheism ... comes from a- meaning without theos, or god.

You get my point i hope.

No, the word atheism comes from the word theism. The a means without. Therefore, atheism is the reaction to theism.

Theists have faith in particular beliefs.
Atheists have no faith in particular beliefs.

I don't know if there is a god or if there is not a god.
But I do know that I have no faith, either way.

Faith = theist
No faith = atheist

The "name" we give another, describes them to us in our own minds. This name very often has little to do with how the other describes himself. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
04-03-2016, 10:32 AM
(04-03-2016 04:06 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I am a genuine christian at least.

as for a young earth creationist, i believe that time travels differently in different parts of space, and that gravity effects it.

of course, einstein is where i got this theory from.

Of course, you utterly misunderstand the physics, Einstein said no such thing.

Quote:so to say the world is young might just mean that it went through a period of hyper fluctuating time, when God created all mater. young or old becomes relative in that light.

There is no such thing as "hyper fluctuating time".

Quote:then again, science says that matter was at one time highly compressed together, and thats where the universe started from. higher matter compression would be higher gravity. so, would that make time go faster or slower acording to einsteins theories?

No.

Quote:But aside from my beliefs about time and its tangibility, darkmatter and its effects on time,

i am a genuine christian. its nice to meet all of you.

Your beliefs about physics are as nutty as your beliefs about religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
04-03-2016, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 11:34 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-03-2016 05:36 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  Atheism is a belief that there is not a God. Lack of opinion on the matter would be a non-belief non-system. If you state there is, or you state there isn't, either way its a belief system (that there is or there isn't a god).

Completely wrong. Atheism is a dismissal of an idea. Just like the idea of pink sparkly unicorns is dismissed. The fact that you are unable to imagine this position, demonstrates you are a presupposionalist, and cannot even imagine another thought system as :
a. you NEED cognitive closure
b. you have low ambiguity tolerance and NEED an answer to every question this AM, (just like a 2 year old)
(ie it's really all about psychology really, more than science or theology)

Theism is incoherent. Existence requires TIME to be coherent (and a number of other things ... ie thoughts, decisions, creation, take TIME, yet you claim, incoherently, your god exists in a timeless environment. Whatever environment your god exists in, it NEEDS, and could not have created. Just using the word "exists" is enough to refute the concept of a deity. Reality remains unexplained, even with an "existing" god. Your god does not "not exist" and MUST (of necessity) participate in Reality, therefore, only partially, and it was always, of necessity, LARGER than a god that "exists". A larger Reality, it could not have created, while participating in (it) only partially, and remains unexplained. If your god has "thoughts" it needs time to process them, (as well as all sorts of other things assumed, ie language, logic, standards ect etc).

There are no "proofs" for a god. That is theologically incoherent. YOUR Jesus said "No one shall come to me, unless the Father draw him". Faith (according to Paul) is a "gift". There are no proofs. If there were, faith would be unnecessary. You need no faith ? LMAO

This universe produces ORDER, spontaneously. Look up Chaos Theory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
Before you speak of "evil" you must define it. You haven't even attempted it.
Science has demonstrated again and again, there is no possible way the universe, or even the Earth, is 6000 years old. The ONLY reason you pick that time frame, is because you are totally ignorant of the Bible, and how and why it was produced.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2016, 10:46 AM
(04-03-2016 09:04 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 08:47 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  If you are an effective debater, you will get banned. At least that's my experience. I was on a Christian forum for a while and one day I couldn't log in. Tried to change my password and couldn't. I was polite, got no warnings or messages from the admin.

Same happened to me.

If they were secure in their beliefs, we wouldn't have been banned.

Yeah exactly, no one would be banned here for the way I acted on their forum. I was polite and didn't use any bad language and didn't call anyone delusional. I mostly only posted on the philosophy forum.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
04-03-2016, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 10:59 AM by Bucky Ball.)

That's what they all say. All 33,000 sects of them

Quote:as for a young earth creationist, i believe that time travels differently in different parts of space, and that gravity effects it.

Time doesn't "travel" anywhere. There is not a shred of evidence for that claim, and in fact it demonstrates you have absolutely NO background in science. Einstein said no such thing. Ever.

Quote:I am a genuine christian. its nice to meet all of you.

So am I.
Christian is capitalized, child. Facepalm
Ever met a Christian who said they were NOT a "genuine" one ?
Rolleyes

You're a Freshman at Biola, right ?

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-03-2016, 10:54 AM
(04-03-2016 08:23 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

You know who i pray to? Joe Pesci! Bowing
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
04-03-2016, 11:00 AM

as for a young earth creationist, i believe that time travels differently in different parts of space, and that gravity effects it.

of course, einstein is where i got this theory from.

so to say the world is young might just mean that it went through a period of hyper fluctuating time, when God created all mater. young or old becomes relative in that light.

then again, science says that matter was at one time highly compressed together, and thats where the universe started from. higher matter compression would be higher gravity. so, would that make time go faster or slower acording to einsteins theories?

But aside from my beliefs about time and its tangibility, darkmatter and its effects on time,

i am a genuine christian. its nice to meet all of you.

For start's welcome Void to the forum.

Usually the when a fellow theist such as yourself wonders in they are here to preach. Which you could imagine is not a good opener. Especially with the large number of former believers that "live" here.

I just want to unwrap a little more about you before I determinate if your here to join the conversation or here to "tell us how it is".

You say your a Christian.

What kind?

Baptist, Nondenominational, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Protestant, Pentecostal, Episcopalian, Mormon, Congregational, Jehovah's Witness, Assemblies of God, Evangelical, Church of God, Seventh-day Adventist, Orthodox, Holiness, Church of Nazarene, Disciples of Christ, Church of Brethren, Mennonite, Reformed, Apostolic, Quaker, Full Gospel, Christian Reform, Independent Christian Church, Foursquare Gospel, Fundamentalist, Or Born Again?

What would you qualify as a person that would call themselves a Christian?

What would you say separates a Christian from someone that isn't a Christian?

Before we start getting into the heavier stuff we'll take it easy and work you in. Best not to jump to conclusions about the other person until we know a little more.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
04-03-2016, 11:16 AM
(04-03-2016 09:48 AM)kim Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 06:04 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  ---

the word atheism ... comes from a- meaning without theos, or god.

You get my point i hope.

No, the word atheism comes from the word theism. The a means without. Therefore, atheism is the reaction to theism.

Theists have faith in particular beliefs.
Atheists have no faith in particular beliefs.

I don't know if there is a god or if there is not a god.
But I do know that I have no faith, either way.

Faith = theist
No faith = atheist

The "name" we give another, describes them to us in our own minds. This name very often has little to do with how the other describes himself. Shy

In the same way that amoral is to be without morals and immoral is to be morally wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
04-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Isn't that for your Jebus to judge ? You think you have been given the right to judge that, over and above all the others who also claim the same ?
How exactly have you come to that conclusion ?

You felt the need to repeat that. Consider
You do realize that every religious wacko that ever lived, has claimed basically the same thing, and been just as sure as you are of their claim.
So ... you've determined you're special.
I wonder why that is ?
Consider

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post