I am a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 05:30 AM
RE: I am a Christian
Welcome! Here you're going to find different types of atheist, just keep around for a while and you'll find out.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2016, 05:43 AM
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I was viewing a particular thread about how a user was banned from christianChat.com, a website i dont care so much for, but i digress.

the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?

as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-03-2016, 06:20 AM
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I was viewing a particular thread about how a user was banned from christianChat.com, a website i dont care so much for, but i digress.

the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?

as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

Please don't bring up any kind of cosmological argument, this has been debunked about 500 trillion times on this forum.

Please don't proselytize, that just shows that you lack respect for the decision process that brought us to stop believing in god(s).

Please be clear about what you believe, we've seen all kinds here and they like playing "hide my belief". It's best to clarify yourself on the three global-effect myths:

Are you a YEC? Or is Genesis dismissed as a metaphor?

Noah's ark, real or fantasy?

Tower of Babel, real or fantasy?

Are you a Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Muslim? Name your favorite flavor and be prepared to clearly explain why your flavor is true and the others are not.

A tip going forward, don't use creationist sites to make your case, don't use stock apologetics, actually listen and seriously consider our point of view, you'll be treated fairly well here if you do this.

Good luck! Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 9 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Well... at least you're showing off some good Aussie larrakin, Banjo. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-03-2016, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 06:34 AM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
Howdy! Welcome.

Cite the thread please. Yes, I can search for it, (and I will shortly) but it strengthens your case if you cite the source(s).

(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.
I'll reserve comment until later.

(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?
Are all theists such that they would sign up to an atheist forum and then lecture the posters on their posting style?
Are all theists such that they would judge the members of a forum by the actions of one poster?
Where are the theists who are worth talking to?
Are you rational and worth talking to?
Are you willing to hear your viewpoints and beliefs questioned?

I'll withhold my assessment of your worthiness until (or if) I read more of your posts. I'll admit upfront that you seem pretty judgmental, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

We shall see...

ETA:
I'm guessing from your wording that this is the thread you are talking about:
linky linky

It must be pointed out that the thread in question was started in 08/2013 and the last post was 07/2014. Many of the posters are no longer active, at least as far as I've seen.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2016, 06:56 AM
(03-03-2016 02:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 02:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  ...
Where are rational and worthwhile theists? I didn't met even one.

You really need to escape from Poland!

You have my sympathy.

Hug

No more refugees please!
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
03-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Welcome. I don't think you're going to stick around long, but while you're here I hope you come across some posts that make you think. I suspect though that you've made up your mind already about what atheists are like and are here chiefly to confirm your negative impressions.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
03-03-2016, 07:03 AM

Hello. I saw that this is your first post, and that you have spent so far around 20 minutes here. I find it odd that your first post is to criticize a thread, and then question if all atheists behave or act in a specific way. To your benefit, you hoped not. Then you asked where the rational atheists are- well, they are here, and elsewhere. I am not interested in debating with anyone- however I would welcome someone who has an open mind, is willing to listen and learn, and actually think about ideas carefully without prejudice. It seems that you have not taken the time to look at enough threads to get a better understanding of these very welcoming, intelligent and fun people. How about a new start- why not introduce yourself, take a minute and actually enter this forum with a bit more respect, instead of rushing in with an immediate critique of a 20 minute look at TTA?

That said, welcome, this is a great group of people, and I hope that you learn to enjoy them.
carolBig Grin
[+] 8 users Like carol's post
03-03-2016, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 07:22 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Greetings.

John 6:44 "No one shall come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day."

Jesus did not hold debates with anyone. (If he even existed, that is).

1 Corinthians 13:13
"And now, there abide faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

Faith is a virtue, (a gift from a god) and coexists with the ability to abandon reason. Debating is a rational process, which according to the scripture of the Christian faith, is not the origin of the virtue of faith.

..... but .... "knock yourself out".

I suspect Christians "debate", more than anything, to convince THEMSELVES, their faith positions are somehow *reasonable*. Their OWN scriptures tell them is is not, and cannot be.
Matthew 22:14 "For many are called, but few are chosen"

Have fun.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-03-2016, 08:03 AM
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

You understand that you are looking at the actions of one and judging the many based on that, right?

This is functionally identical to me witnessing a Westboro protester, complaining about their behavior, and then asking "are all atheist Christians such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian someone else to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists Christians who actually are worth talking to?"

Most of us, here, are pretty reasonable. There are some jerks, but most will actually have discussions with you. Do note, that we've heard a lot of the stock arguments already, and won't cut any slack for proselytizing, presupposition, or claims made without evidence.

If you do want to have discussions, hopefully TTA is a good fit for you.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post