I am a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: I am a Christian
(03-03-2016 06:56 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 02:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You really need to escape from Poland!

You have my sympathy.

Hug

No more refugees please!

I prefer to earn in Germany and spend in Poland so you don't need to be afraid Wink.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-03-2016, 08:53 AM
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

I love that spirit of curiosity and interest in level-headed discussion Smile. If you are looking for a debate, you will find ample opportunities on this forum. In the vast majority of cases, your attitude toward the atheists will establish the tone of your conversations with them. I am also a theist (from a different camp), and I have been treated with respect and dignity by almost everyone here.

You can just make new threads with a certain topic you want to discuss with anyone who wants to participate. Just post up a thread; they we can't resist. You can also private message someone and invite them to a one-on-one discussion. The boxing ring can be viewed by everyone, but threads are limited to only two users.

I hope you stick around and have some worthwhile discussions.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
03-03-2016, 08:59 AM
(03-03-2016 06:20 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Please be clear about what you believe, we've seen all kinds here and they like playing "hide my belief".

I mean, how true is this? And what the fuck is up with that? It's like they're only doing it in order to catch you making assumptions about their beliefs and then go "Ha! But that is not what I believe you presumptuous atheist!"

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
03-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Hi VoidAN - glad you've found the forum. Personally, I'm not much for debate but, some here enjoy it.

This is a global community so there are many perspectives and great converssations to be found. It's a little bit of a bigger world.

Welcome. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-03-2016, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 10:23 AM by adey67.)
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I was viewing a particular thread about how a user was banned from christianChat.com, a website i dont care so much for, but i digress.

the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?

as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

I can understand how you feel as a visiting christian, as an atheist myself it was a surprise to discover that not only are there non believers that embrace woo like homeopathy and conspiracy theories
But like any community there are good points and not so good points in the same way that there are more reasonable Christians as well as nasty fundamentalists no forum is perfect as is no person. If you are from the USA then you need to understand that religion and quite often extreme religion is rampant, try to imagine yourself living in a country that is highly intolerant to religion, imagine if the tables were turned its all a question of perspective.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
03-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Gee they didn't come back. I am SOOOO surprised.....really.....

[Image: tumblr_m2ar91SntU1rqfhi2o1_500.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
03-03-2016, 10:16 AM
(03-03-2016 01:14 AM)VoidAndNull Wrote:  I was viewing a particular thread about how a user was banned from christianChat.com, a website i dont care so much for, but i digress.

the person in the thread went about pumping his fist for getting banned for attacking the beliefs of another person as if a hero who had accomplished something.

are all atheist such that they would celebrate that they have caused a christian to view them as pushy, insulting and childish? i would hope not. where are the rational and worthwhile atheists who actually are worth talking to?

as a christian who wants to debate, i would only celebrate if one of the parties comes to a deeper understanding, and we mutually learn something worthwhile, or at least one of the parties debating.

Sometimes the first step is to find out where the boundaries of someone's comfort zone are. A lot of Christians (and theists in general) have very narrow boundaries. For those people, step 2 is to make them uncomfortable in the hope that they will actually think about what is being said. A lot of times they don't and simply shut down or block you or get pissed off.

One could try and approach it in a less abrasive way, but you know what? That method doesn't tend to work any better to generate meaningful conversation with most theists. Why? Because most of them don't tend to want to think about their beliefs in any way even remotely similar to how we view them. Most theists want their religious beliefs validated by us in some way, which seems to be the reason that a lot of them engage in debates with atheists.

For instance, why are you here? What purpose do you see in conversations with atheists about your religious beliefs? What purpose do you see in conversations about conversations between atheists and theists?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
(03-03-2016 10:04 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Gee they didn't come back. I am SOOOO surprised.....really.....

It was their first post, so it had to be approved before it went up. So while they may have made it several hours ago, they logged off before it actually appeared in the forum for people to comment on (that is why DLJ was the first respondent, because he approved it).

Give them time, they may come back.

-Rick
03-03-2016, 10:20 AM
(03-03-2016 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:04 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Gee they didn't come back. I am SOOOO surprised.....really.....

It was their first post, so it had to be approved before it went up. So while they may have made it several hours ago, they logged off before it actually appeared in the forum for people to comment on (that is why DLJ was the first respondent, because he approved it).

If they come back I will be very impressed. But I suspect I am right and we shall see no more words from the void. Big Grin
03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
(03-03-2016 10:20 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It was their first post, so it had to be approved before it went up. So while they may have made it several hours ago, they logged off before it actually appeared in the forum for people to comment on (that is why DLJ was the first respondent, because he approved it).

If they come back I will be very impressed. But I suspect I am right and we shall see no more words from the void. Big Grin

Maybe. Drive-by theists are a dime a dozen. I was just pointing out that they couldn't even respond until after their thread was approved. DLJ must have approved it ~30 minutes after they posted it. So they probably made the post, got bored waiting for it to go up and logged off.

-Rick