I am a closet elitist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I am a closet elitist.
I've often pondered the sensibility of elitism. Wondered if it's a logical or good position to have or if it just makes you a dick. My actions and thought processes are the result of intentionally supressing the feeling because I've decided not to be said dick. But deep down, when I see the stupidity in such large groups of people I know in my heart that I do know what's best for them. Not everything in life is a shade of grey. Some things are black and white, right and wrong, smart and stupid. If being right when others are wrong or being smart when others are stupid makes me an elitist then so be it.

Anyone else ever get the feeling that you are, in every way that matters, smarter or better human beings than other people? Not everyone, but a good many.

Guess I'm outta the closet.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
RE: I am a closet elitist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%C3%AFve_realism Big Grin

Sometimes I think im right.....sometimes I actually believe it.......but then again my world revolves around me....so im biased Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Pffft, you were never in the closet.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
May I say...

[Image: 107271_600-1.jpg]

If that's all it takes I would consider myself an elitist or a snob to some people and at times people have told me they felt that way of me... yet not derogatorily oddly enough.

I don't think I go so far to be a technocrat but I wish those representing and working for me in the Govt. were not afraid to be elite in realm of knowledge instead of money.
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
(01-03-2012 04:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If that's all it takes I would consider myself an elitist or a snob to some people and at times people have told me they felt that way of me... yet not derogatorily oddly enough.

I can't see your pic on this comp.

How does one avoid being a pretencious, elitist snob when your IQ is 30 or 40+ points higher than just about everyone around you?

I'm such an ass sometimes and can't control it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
(01-03-2012 05:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  How does one avoid being a pretencious, elitist snob when your IQ is 30 or 40+ points higher than just about everyone around you?

I suppose it depends on your intentions...I think either you can preach or you can teach.

Big difference Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
(01-03-2012 05:11 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 05:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  How does one avoid being a pretencious, elitist snob when your IQ is 30 or 40+ points higher than just about everyone around you?

I suppose it depends on your intentions...I think either you can preach or you can teach.

Big difference Smile

My intentions aren't to make people feel stupid. I actually become uncomfortable when I feel I've done something to demean someone. Not so much on the internet because of the level of anonymity but IRL I actually feel like I've hurt someone's feelings when I prove them wrong. I do still wish people would just see things my way because often I'm astounded that they don't/can't.

-Mark Twain
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
(01-03-2012 04:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  May I say...

You may. Permission granted.
[see what I did there?]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I am not sure, I suppose I have moments, but mostly no, I am not. I think my online persona reeks a little more of elitism and doesn't truly reflect my IRL self though.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I've had this feelings, and still do many times, but I've learned that sometimes is better to let people be stupid, at least for some time.
Maybe, for some people, is better to take a more step-by-step approach to make them understand some things, and we must be careful not to try to push them to think as we want them to think. One of the most hard things to do is to understand that even intelligent and cultured people don't get to the same conclusions as we do.

In any case, being elitist means you think that only some people should be entitled to take decisions as the vast majority is either dumb or ignorant. This, imo, is wrong, I think is better for a society to be able to discuss and to learn from their mistakes instead of being deprived of the right to do so by an intellectual minority.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post