I am a closet elitist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: I am a closet elitist.
Hey germanyt. I think you're right. There are people smarter than others and they're usually right when others are wrong. And they've got a hard time getting along in the society, because they're regularly dispersed among population.

Most of people have IQ between 90 and 110. That doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid. They're just not intellectual. They usually use their intellect when the work demands it, otherwise not, especially not for entertainment. These people aren't usually curious, aren't interested in things going on and are generally content with their life style. They're not necessarily aggressive towards smarter people, more often rather avoidant and seemingly indifferent, because they feel intimidated by our intellect and knowledge or just (wrongly) presume we're trying to impress them. That is, when they have a weak self-confidence. I generally like people with higher self-confidence, because they don't give a damn about the difference in IQ and don't shy away.
But these normal people aren't stupid. Whatever they are, they're not blind and frankly, they're better accustomed to life in this society. They can judge a person's character, especially an intellectual one. They're good at making and maintaining social and romantic relationships. They've got many friends and peers. They belong. They're happier. I don't think anything bad about them, they are as they are, I only deeply regret that we don't have any use for each other. My three greatest joys, discussion, teaching and learning are wasted on them and we both know it.

I don't see any solution here, except living in a big city and among university students, where the chance of meeting kindred minds is higher. For now I'm stuck in a village in the middle of nowhere, but this year I definitely plan to move there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
(02-03-2012 02:59 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Most of people have IQ between 90 and 110. That doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid. They're just not intellectual. They usually use their intellect when the work demands it, otherwise not, especially not for entertainment. These people aren't usually curious, aren't interested in things going on...

Actually that sounds sort of like myself. Tongue
I cannot and never will claim I am "smart" because nothing in my life has ever indicated otherwise but hey, if all I am good for is scrubbing toilets and putting little gadgets together then so be it.

Our society does practically nothing to encourage learning, legitimate learning for purposes other than the all important "job"

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
(01-03-2012 05:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 04:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If that's all it takes I would consider myself an elitist or a snob to some people and at times people have told me they felt that way of me... yet not derogatorily oddly enough.

I can't see your pic on this comp.

How does one avoid being a pretencious, elitist snob when your IQ is 30 or 40+ points higher than just about everyone around you?

I'm such an ass sometimes and can't control it.

I.Qs tend to relate to the prevailing ideology.
Change the ideology and the I.Q. may well change........
02-03-2012, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 07:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-03-2012 05:39 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I.Qs tend to relate to the prevailing ideology. Change the ideology and the I.Q. may well change........

"I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers." - Stephen Hawking responding to a NY Times interviewer on what his IQ is.

(01-03-2012 05:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  How does one avoid being a pretencious, elitist snob when your IQ is 30 or 40+ points higher than just about everyone around you?

I'm such an ass sometimes and can't control it.

Just means you ain't yet smart enough to realize how stupid you really are.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Some of you may be smarter than me (a lot smarter) but are you as good as me at pawning people on Battlefield 3???

Can you paint pictures as good as me???

Are you as happy and content with just being alive as me???

Maybe you are....maybe moreso.....maybe not.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
02-03-2012, 11:38 PM
(02-03-2012 07:11 PM)bemore Wrote:  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Did I mention that you know you're old when you got a story.

Bob and his buddy Bill played High School Football together and took the NFL Quarterback Test together. "Goddam Bob you're a lot smarter than me." "Goddam Bill I'll never be able to benchpress 400 lbs like you."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.