I am a skeptic of the Atheist Party.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Video I am a skeptic of the Atheist Party.
This is my response to the National Atheist Party and the most recent podcast. I am skeptical that it will work. Give me your thoughts. Maybe you can change my mind?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2012, 06:54 AM
RE: I am a skeptic of the Atheist Party.
Atheists have a party? Since when?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
19-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't think an Atheist party is a good idea. I have yet to listen to the podcast though, I will catch it on YouTube soon. But from what I've seen, even on these boards, we may have the same ideas when it comes to rejecting faith, that does not translate to the same political ideals. An atheist party doesn't need to exist. But it should be completely acceptable for atheists to be forthcoming about their rejection of faith and still be just as viable as candidates for government office as is any religious person, regardless of their party.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
19-01-2012, 01:35 PM
No changing minds here, my young friend; National Atheist Party is an unnecessary proposition, is what I think.

"Being an Atheist" is only a part of what has an effect on a person... on this person, anyway. Blush

To be "dedicated" to a group of people whose only relevant bond is the lack of an overlord is one thing. But to gather all those differently dedicated people into a committed group, as a representative party ... there lies folly.

I appreciate that someone wants to counter all the evangelical bullshit that is rampant in the democrat and republican parties and the mainstream media today, but an extreme counterpart is not going to resolve much.

However, if they are setting themselves up to simply put "the great debate" further out into the mainstream, it might be something to see. I think if that's the case, then they already have their agenda set to not go much further than exposure. The ensuing issues coming to the forefront could give a clearer picture of exactly what an Atheist might think and why, as opposed to what a Theist might think and why.

Still - No commitment for me.
I think. So far. Maybe. I'll have to see what they say and do. NO. I think.
fuck. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
19-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Agreed Kim, well-said!
19-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Religious beliefs or the lack of religious beliefs should never enter the realm of politics. Religious ideology isn't political, and we need to stop making it political.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
19-01-2012, 03:40 PM
(19-01-2012 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Religious beliefs or the lack of religious beliefs should never enter the realm of politics. Religious ideology isn't political, and we need to stop making it political.

Agreed, but it's the religious who make it an issue, and the politicians who pander to it; the right in an obvious and obnoxious manner, the left in an oh-so-PC way.

The right: Jeeezus is our Lord, you atheists aren't real Murricans, Murrica's a Christian nation.

The left: We respect all beliefs and all faith communities. (meaning they don't respect any.)

What we need is a political party with the guts to say religion is not a political matter, that the U.S. is a secular republic - the Constitution says so and the founders said so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2012, 03:45 PM
(19-01-2012 03:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2012 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Religious beliefs or the lack of religious beliefs should never enter the realm of politics. Religious ideology isn't political, and we need to stop making it political.

Agreed, but it's the religious who make it an issue, and the politicians who pander to it; the right in an obvious and obnoxious manner, the left in an oh-so-PC way.

The right: Jeeezus is our Lord, you atheists aren't real Murricans, Murrica's a Christian nation.

The left: We respect all beliefs and all faith communities. (meaning they don't respect any.)

What we need is a political party with the guts to say religion is not a political matter, that the U.S. is a secular republic - the Constitution says so and the founders said so.

Libertarian is about as close as it gets... as far as a leader goes... Dr Paul is about as close as it gets.

19-01-2012, 03:50 PM
(19-01-2012 03:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Libertarian is about as close as it gets... as far as a leader goes... Dr Paul is about as close as it gets.

No, Dr. Paul doesn't come close. Do you need some quotes?

Of course, I just can't seem to take Ron Paul seriously. Every time I hear his name, I flash on RuPaul.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
19-01-2012, 03:56 PM
(19-01-2012 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2012 03:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

No, Dr. Paul doesn't come close. Do you need some quotes?

Of course, I just can't seem to take Ron Paul seriously. Every time I hear his name, I flash on RuPaul.

I said closest.