I am a skeptic of the Atheist Party.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 04:42 PM
RE: I am a skeptic of the Atheist Party.
(02-02-2012 06:52 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is a situation where a lot of people don't know what the word Atheist means either. Plenty have no clue but in the media the idea is understood but also skewed by various takes on the term.

I have a bigger problem with the party and it's intend if its members really thought the term atheist party was more fitting than the freethought party which is what it had been.

Freethought or Humanism are different because they're more than a single stance on a singular issue such as Atheism. If people don't quite know what they are then ought to be the party's mission to inform the public about the importance of logic, reason, and science being used in a human aided view to pull.
You better be sure your atheist buddies got their logic, reason, and science shit straight before you go trying to preach to the Christians that they got it messed up, and that only you got it straight, and that once your declaration is made public then the atheists will agree with you.

(02-02-2012 05:15 PM)cconti Wrote:  The spokesmen claiming, it turns out, most atheists are center-liberals because it's what are majority have gone with is a false lumping of atheists. It is probably true that most freethinkers or secular humanists follow that ideology which determines what the party truly is about.
Well, when the fuck are atheists going to get the scientific numbers on this shit?

You want the fucking Christians to do the record keeping?????

Or, do you believe that there are so many atheists with so many different views that they probably couldn't fill out a simple survey about what ideologies they use to understand nature and what ideologies they believe better guide society?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 08:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-02-2012 04:04 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  This is a major problem, and another reason why "atheism" should be understood as the political component of what we are trying to do - extinguish theism.

Whoa there, pretty sure I never signed up for that. I'm gonna wait to see if they end up hoisting themselves with their own petard before I'm gonna think about intervening. I'm not gonna try and push them underground where they'll only be that much harder to track and that much more sinister.

(02-02-2012 04:04 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  We should probably be ashamed to be called "atheists," because you have nothing better to show for it -

"Atheist" is descriptive to me, not prescriptive. Only thing I'm ashamed of is that I use "atheist" to provide cover for my deeper personal belief that, for all practical intent and purpose, Bob is God.

TrainWreck is calling for an "All Hands on Deck!" response to what I think might be just a death throe. I mean, I'm not gonna throw a metaphysical blanket party for grandma trying to soap beat the theism out of her on her deathbed.

I'm gonna wait to see if they burn out on their own. Don't see how they can survive the inevitable education of their congregation. ... But I do believe in the Second Amendment, and self-defense and self-protection from crazy of all sort in general. ... in an if the shit hits the fan kinda way ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-02-2012, 02:33 PM
(06-02-2012 07:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  TrainWreck is calling for an "All Hands on Deck!" response to what I think might be just a death throe. I mean, I'm not gonna throw a metaphysical blanket party for grandma trying to soap beat the theism out of her on her deathbed.

I'm gonna wait to see if they burn out on their own. Don't see how they can survive the inevitable education of their congregation. ... But I do believe in the Second Amendment, and self-defense and self-protection from crazy of all sort in general. ... in an if the shit hits the fan kinda way ...
What you seem to be saying here is that they will give up control of the political guidance of society, because they realize that their logic is faulty???

Like a fish does not know that it is wet, people are very hard to understand that their logic is incorrect - the surmounting evidence of their success overwhelmingly indicates that their exercise of logic (reasoning) is correct.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
07-02-2012, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 08:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-02-2012 02:33 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 07:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  TrainWreck is calling for an "All Hands on Deck!" response to what I think might be just a death throe. I mean, I'm not gonna throw a metaphysical blanket party for grandma trying to soap beat the theism out of her on her deathbed.

What you seem to be saying here is that they will give up control of the political guidance of society, because they realize that their logic is faulty???

Like a fish does not know that it is wet, people are very hard to understand that their logic is incorrect - the surmounting evidence of their success overwhelmingly indicates that their exercise of logic (reasoning) is correct.

No, I'm not interested in dissuading them. They are incorrigible. What I think I am seeing is that we are growing out of and beyond theism. My young adult childrens' culture couldn't give less of a shit out about any of the things the fundies are adamant about. They laugh at the mere idea that those could even be contentious issues. I think religion is dying from attrition as the education of the congregation increases.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.