I am afraid of sleeping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 12:53 AM
RE: I am afraid of sleeping
aww Leela you're such a nice person I hate that you're suffering. Don't dismiss therapy. Some therapists don't care about your belief, and just want to help.

You might have to go through a few though until you find the right one.

Heart Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2017, 03:49 AM
I'm wide awake at 3:48 AM, so Leela has my deepest and most sincere sympathy and empathy...

...but at this point all I can think is HOLY CRAP DEIDRE IS HERE!

Hi, Dei! Missed ya. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-01-2017, 04:14 AM
I'd see a doctor and get a blood test asap.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-01-2017, 05:49 AM
I've had raging insomnia for 44 years, ever since I was five sleeping has been a problem as soon as my head hits the pillow the mind goes in to overdrive, nothing seemed to work until, two things happened, first was going on quetiapine second was as someone else suggested I started to listen to podcasts on very low volume, for me the results were nothing short of astonishing, and even on days I don't take the quetiapine using podcasts still does a really good job it needs to be spoken word podcasts not music. Seths voice is relaxing anyway so I just put my favourite podcasts on repeat and even if I don't sleep I am relaxed and rested, give it a go and good luck. Smile
16-01-2017, 06:04 AM
I have sleep issues off and on.

I've tried melatonin; it made me sleepy but also induced vivid nightmares. I know a lot of people get good results from it, though.

Other things that have helped me: set a general bedtime, turn off electronics and TV around an hour before that time, have white noise like the radio to drown out the noise in your head, use an electric fan to provide white noise and keep the air moving, and have a notepad by the bed so that I can write stuff down rather than writing and rewriting in my head. Also I remind myself that if I'm lying in bed, resting, with my eyes closed, I'm still getting some restorative effect.

I also often do a little six-step relaxation thing at the start of the night that starts with a few deep breaths and proceeds to feel like you're melting the body into the mattress, then floating it in the air...when it works, which is not always, it's a delicious way to drift off.
16-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Coincidentally, I heard of this guy a couple of days ago:

Max Richter

Apparently he's composed songs that are intended to induce sleep.

Here's another article:

article 2

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-01-2017, 06:29 AM
(16-01-2017 12:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:54 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Did you ever try melatonin? It's an herbal sleep aid. [...]

I have what's called an N-24 sleep dysfunction (Circadian rhythm of around 28 hours). Melatonin—in Australia at least—is not a "herbal" medication; it's a synthesised drug and is available on doctor's prescription only.

Might be different.

walmart link

Here in the states Melatonin is an OTC (over the counter) herbal supplement. It's treated like a vitamin basically.

Different laws or different products I guess.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-01-2017, 07:50 AM
I only had trouble getting to sleep when jetlag knocked me out of my rhythm - I do have trouble staying asleep sometimes.

My jetlag was managed by making sure I had actual sunlight for at least an hour before sundown ( I assume a lamp simulating bright sunlight may work instead), taking Melatonin before going to bed, and playing soft, relaxing music or sounds as I was drifting off.

Sunlight + Melatonin = reset of sleep rhythm.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-01-2017, 08:24 AM
I, too, struggle with this from time to time. Someone mentioned melatonin*. I've had a moderate amount of success with it; it makes me very drowsy but even then sometimes I can't actually fall asleep, I just lie there in a very drowsy (sometimes a bit light-headed) state for hours on end.

At one point a doctor suggested, "If you haven't fallen asleep in 15 minutes, then get up and read a book or paint or something. Just don't turn on the TV or any screen." So I tried that.

I was up, every night, every 15 minutes, for 3 days. It always, without exception, takes me much, much longer than 15 minutes to fall asleep. No exceptions other than when I have a fever.

I frankly don't know if talk therapy will do much good. (In my very limited experience, such therapy was worse than useless.)

I did see something the other day about psoriasis and a person who had undergone decades of searching for a treatment. She had done everything, from herbals to medications to diets to faith-healers and "alternative" therapies, etc etc. You name it, she's tried it. Eventually, the woman simply stopped seeking treatment. Her psoriasis hasn't gone away; she's just learned to live with it. http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/...treatments

Perhaps you might try a parallel experiment: stop seeking treatment or counselling for it. Just realize that this is just the way it's going to be and accept it.

* Melatonin isn't actually an herbal supplement, though legally it's considered one by the FDA (which means it's not properly regulated which has led to all sorts of problems). It's a hormone made in the brain. The melatonin in pill form is usually manufactured synthetically, which eliminates the dangers of viral contamination (from, for instance, cow brains).
16-01-2017, 01:39 PM
(16-01-2017 12:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Listen to something to distract yourself. Put on a movie that you love and know by heart, just start it and leave it on, but only barely loud enough to hear. It'll keep you focused on it for a bit, but if it's something you're very familiar with it, you also won't be driven to give it all of your attention. Think of it as a way of distracting your conscious, so that the rest of your brain can make with the falling asleep. I sometimes do this, and my go-to is 'The Hunt For Red October'. More often than not however I just fall asleep listening to podcast episodes that I've already heard before. In fact I make it a point never to put a new episode on, because I find ones that I haven't listened to before too distracting, I get too invest in listening to them and they're unable to fade into background noise. So yeah, most days I fall asleep listing to old podcast episodes I've already heard before.

This works like a charm for me too!
Quetiapine (50 mg) also works great for me. I used to take it daily, but these days I just have it for when I'm too anxious. Either way it helps a lot. Stops all the throughts running rampant and makes me very sleepy. So I can recommend that. It also doesn't have all the side-effects and potential for dependency that traditional sleeping meds tend to come with. It's basically an anti-psychosis drug that you take in a very, very low dose, compared to when it's given for Schizophrenia or similar.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage