I am amazed at the stupIDITTY...DERRR

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I am amazed at the stupIDITTY...DERRR
This was in one of my discussion questions in class.
What should the punishment be?

http://www.krem.com/news/217102501.html
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Park Police in Washington say the Lincoln Memorial has been temporarily closed after someone splattered a splash of green paint on the statue.

Police say the apparent vandalism was discovered around 1:30 a.m. Friday on the statue, the pedestal and the floor. No words, letters or symbols were visible in the paint.

Capt. Steven Booker says the paint spill “appears intentional based off of the splatter.” He says police are reviewing security camera footage to try to identify possible suspects.

Police say the memorial will be closed until the National Park Service maintenance crew can clean up the paint, which is expected to happen later Friday.

I say- "That would be a federal offense due to the fact that it is government property. If found guilty he or she can be fine up to $250,000 if the damages exceed more than a $100 or ten years in prison and if it was less than $100 it will be $100,000 or up to a year in jail. I think 10 years would be a bit harsh just from a kid paintballing a piece of stone. "

Then my classmate replies....

Not when you consider that "stone" is a national monument to one of the most influential leaders of our nation. Mandatory 10 years and no chance of having it expunged IMO. We take it far too easy on kids these days and what punishments they do get we simply wipe away when they turn 18, a fact they ALL know and thus respect authority even less.

This is something we have lost as a nation...true honest patriotism. I live in a law enforcement and military family...my family has bled in every war and been present in most major home problems (wako and 9/11 being prominent in my mind for where family has been to help). Paint on the Lincoln Memorial is pretty much like someone taking a paintball gun and shooting your parent's gravestone...or perhaps your little girl's gravestone that died tragically at a young age? Which is what happened to my own dead sister's gravestone 2 years ago. It is an insult to the memory of someone important...a total lack of respect for anyone but themselves.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
27-07-2013, 02:52 PM
RE: I am amazed at the stupIDITTY...DERRR
YEAH, I FUCKIN GET THAT YOUR PATRIOTIC. BUT STOP GUILTING PEOPLE INTO MAKING US FEEL BAD FOR YOUR DEAD SISTER. ITS A FUCKING STONE, PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES. GET OVER IT. 10 YEARS TO PUT A KID IN PRISON???? THATS FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 2 users Like CaffinatedPuppy's post
27-07-2013, 02:58 PM
People are quick to propose extreme punishments that they won't be on the receiving end of...
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
27-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Patriotism is also making a true and honest effort to understand the consequences of such a sentence in a fellow countryman. Otherwise the fabric of national unity unravels in a chaos of guilt, revenge, and self defence emotions mayhem.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
27-07-2013, 03:07 PM
If it was a minor, what do you think is appropriate? A life-destroying prison sentence and felony record? For a stupid prank?

Kids do dumb things. No one was hurt. Get real.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
27-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Hung by the fingernails while the flesh is flensed from his body. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
27-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I am scared of the fact that people like this in my class WILL have power and authority.

[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
27-07-2013, 03:23 PM
(27-07-2013 03:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hung by the fingernails while the flesh is flensed from his body. Thumbsup

Fine, as long as he doesn't get a felony record. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Your classmate didn't put forward an argument. S/he announced a punishment and then scatter-shot some emotional appeals that no one is supposed to transgress. Any well-reasoned statement should be more influential than "punch him 'cause he's a booger-head."

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
27-07-2013, 06:18 PM
The problem is that you don't find who does this kind of shit. But if they do they should have to clean it up themselves. Then take them to all the other places in town or wherever, even out in the forest and mountain tops to have to clean up this shit. I see it all the time when I'm out hiking. They think that beautiful vista is a great place to party, leave broken beer bottles and spray paint every rock they see. Pisses me off.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]