I am an Ex-Mormon.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2015, 08:25 PM
I am an Ex-Mormon.
Hello everyone. Like the title says, I am an Ex-Mormon.

I live right in the heart of Mormonville, Provo Utah. For those of you who are not familiar with the area, it is literally 97% Mormon and is the hometown of Brigham Young University and the mormon Missionary Training Center.

Normally I have a point I want to make with my posts, but today I am just feeling a little down. If anyone is willing to indulge me, I would like to discuss some of the goings on in my community that are associated with Mormons leaving the church.

I am not posting this in Personal Issues and Support category because I want to take comments from all comers. If you are an Ex-Mormon I would love to hear from you. It would do me some good to talk about what it is like with people who know. If you are a Mormon who is still active in the church, or maybe just still affiliated with it in some way, I would be interested in learning about your perspective on people leaving the church. As always I enjoy comments and questions from everyone else. Love the community here on TTA.

Anybody interested?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2015, 10:11 PM
RE: I am an Ex-Mormon.
just stopping to say, " hey, how's it goin'?"

As for Mormon stuff- I got nothing. oh yeah! a former manager went to Brigham Young. He said he was a minister because of the "laying of hands". i just thought he was whacked and walked away when he told me.

can you explain?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
12-03-2015, 10:50 PM
(12-03-2015 08:25 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Hello everyone. Like the title says, I am an Ex-Mormon.

I live right in the heart of Mormonville, Provo Utah. For those of you who are not familiar with the area, it is literally 97% Mormon and is the hometown of Brigham Young University and the mormon Missionary Training Center.

Normally I have a point I want to make with my posts, but today I am just feeling a little down. If anyone is willing to indulge me, I would like to discuss some of the goings on in my community that are associated with Mormons leaving the church.

I am not posting this in Personal Issues and Support category because I want to take comments from all comers. If you are an Ex-Mormon I would love to hear from you. It would do me some good to talk about what it is like with people who know. If you are a Mormon who is still active in the church, or maybe just still affiliated with it in some way, I would be interested in learning about your perspective on people leaving the church. As always I enjoy comments and questions from everyone else. Love the community here on TTA.

Anybody interested?

"If anyone is willing to indulge me, I would like to discuss some of the goings on in my community that are associated with Mormons leaving the church."

I'm interested. Tell me more. It must be pretty depressing living in Mormonville. Who do you talk to? I imagine it would be pretty tough getting a real conversation out of anybody there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
13-03-2015, 01:25 AM
(12-03-2015 08:25 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  ... I would like to discuss some of the goings on in my community that are associated with Mormons leaving the church.

Is Mormon apostasy becoming a "thing"? We can only hope it is and is increasing.

I have to wonder, not just with Mormonism but any cult, what percent of its "believers" no longer believe, but maintain the pretense because social impacts are too significant to risk? What percent of cult leadership has lost belief but keeps the engine running because the economic repercussions of honesty are too severe? My personal belief is that these figures are substantially greater than we think, because I also personally believe that beyond some threshold of knowledge and intellectual competence it requires deliberate intellectual dishonesty to sustain an untenable belief - and it is my belief that the knowledge/competence thresholds are not at the fringe of the bell curve but nearer its center. Three beliefs. I'm just as bad as the religious with all that belief going on.

Well I hope you find discussion here to transport you out from under whatever cloud you're under.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
13-03-2015, 01:38 AM
(12-03-2015 08:25 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  ...
I am an Ex-Mormon.

But you have beautiful plumage.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-03-2015, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2015 01:43 AM by Free Thought.)
(12-03-2015 08:25 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Hello everyone. Like the title says, I am an Ex-Mormon.

Anybody interested?

I can't talk to the 'mormons leaving the church' thing, but I can ask questions which may be tangentially related...
Sooo.... Magic underwear, huh?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-03-2015, 01:52 AM
(12-03-2015 08:25 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I live right in the heart of Mormonville, Provo Utah. For those of you who are not familiar with the area, it is literally 97% Mormon and is the hometown of Brigham Young University and the mormon Missionary Training Center.

But at least you don't get bothered by Mormons knocking on your door early Saturday morning to convert right?

Or do they continue proselytising so they can act like the secret police and hunt out dangerous radicals in society?
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
13-03-2015, 02:29 AM
If I was mormon and dropped a nuke on Provo, I'll still go to the lowest heaven right ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-03-2015, 03:07 AM
Aren't Mormons really big on closing you out of the community if you reject their teachings? A bit like JWs IIRC? can see why that'd get you down... Talk to us brother man...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-03-2015, 06:34 AM
This might be a bit off-topic, but it's current, and I'm curious about your opinions on it, Dark Phoenix. Do you think it means anything about Mormonism on a larger level, or is this just a secular thing?

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/12/392590001/...exemptions

It looks like they want religious exemptions in the bill, but that mainly seems to apply to religious organizations. Other than that, LGBT people would get protections against discrimination. Do individual members seem to be warming up on the issue, or are they all pretty well in lock-step with the church?