I am better off being a christian than an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Re: RE: I am better off being a christian than an atheist
(11-11-2014 04:13 AM)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote:  I am an atheist myself and don't believe in a God or the supernatural.

Religious people (just specific religious people like me who find greater value in an eternal life of joy) would certainly value those other things I just mentioned...

Religious in the past? I'm pretty sure one can't be atheist and religious.

For me, I don't see how willingly deceiving oneself is helpful. A delusion is worse than faith. At least a theist believes something despite logic & reason. The delusional believes without common sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
11-11-2014, 02:17 PM
RE: I am better off being a christian than an atheist
(11-11-2014 02:15 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 04:13 AM)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote:  I am an atheist myself and don't believe in a God or the supernatural.

Religious people (just specific religious people like me who find greater value in an eternal life of joy) would certainly value those other things I just mentioned...

Religious in the past? I'm pretty sure one can't be atheist and religious.

For me, I don't see how willingly deceiving oneself is helpful. A delusion is worse than faith. At least a theist believes something despite logic & reason. The delusional believes without common sense.

I find being a hobbit is always helpful. Just saying.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
11-11-2014, 06:43 PM
(11-11-2014 04:28 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'll never understand how living your life waiting to die (so you can then get to the good part) somehow gives your life greater meaning.
Why not make the most of your limited time now?
Once you're dead you'll have no regrets.
Exactly. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Flowergurl's post
11-11-2014, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 07:10 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-11-2014 07:40 AM)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 07:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We'd all be better off being Santa believers.
Cuz then we'd think we were gonna get presents.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

And you would be right here as long as that said belief does not cause you to harm yourself and/or others and that you value an eternal life of joy like me above all else and that you find no value in things such as suffering, lack of pleasure, etc. To me, pleasure is the greatest thing in life and you can achieve great things in life and help others just as good (and even better) under the right circumstances through living a nicer and happier life through a religious belief if you were to be more happy through a religious belief. Even the greatest people in history could of been just as great and even greater under the right circumstances through living happier lives of very little suffering and very little despair.

Wrong again, Grasshopper.
Many people who suffer and overcome difficult obstacles are the very ones who learn what it means to achieve and do great things. Many people who have all the comforts life has to offer, had them handed to them on a silver platter, do not appreciate them as they have never had to work for anything. Why do you think alcoholism and drug abuse is so high in wealthy suburbs ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-11-2014, 07:06 PM
(11-11-2014 09:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yay! I love waking up to find my freshly polished ban hammer waiting on my bedside table. I guess the ban hammer fairies were here last night! Weeeee!!

[Image: 901225.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
11-11-2014, 08:08 PM
I love how these creationist morons come here and start these threads that say "I'm an atheist, but..." and then proceed to go on some long-winded babble about how religion just makes so much sense, as though atheists are going to be like "Yeah, I totally see where you're coming from! That totally makes sense now!"

This is one of their favorite "strategies", and yet they scratch their heads wondering why atheists think they are idiots.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
11-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Who is this a sock puppet of this time?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-11-2014, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 10:20 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(11-11-2014 04:13 AM)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote:  I am an atheist myself and don't believe in a God or the supernatural. But I wish I wasn't an atheist because an afterlife of eternal joy would give my life the ultimate meaning and would make this one and only life more beautiful and worthwhile. If you are going to ask how having a religious belief is even supposed to make you view this life as having more value, worth and beauty, then this would all depend on if you either value a reward in the end in which you no longer have suffering and live an eternal life of joy, or that you find living such an eternal life to be boring or bad for any other reason. So it's the people who value other things besides an eternal life of joy and value other things like hardships and suffering who find this one and only life to be of greater value, worth, and beauty than an eternal life of joy. But because I would never be bored, go insane, and find immense value towards an eternal life of joy and no suffering and that I have no value whatsoever towards suffering, this is the reason why I would be more happier and better off with my christian belief that I once had in the past (which is now gone). Religious people (just specific religious people like me who find greater value in an eternal life of joy) would certainly value those other things I just mentioned, but would only value them greater through their religious belief. Being more happy towards something in life is very likely to make you that much as happy towards other things in life. Therefore, since my greatest happiness was directed towards an eternal life of joy when I had my christian belief in the past, then I also found my greatest happiness in other things in this specific life that I was living in as well. So, in short, nothing in this one and only life really matters. It only matters if there is an eternal life of joy for these religious people to have value and happiness towards which would then also make these religious people have value and happiness towards things in this life.

But I did have a christian belief in the past and it was my christian belief that allowed me to feel hope, comfort, and be more happy/less depressed in life. Me looking forward to going to heaven and there being a God encouraged me to find more worth and purpose in this life in striving for that reward of an afterlife of eternal joy of no suffering. Since I am a hedonist, an eternal life of pleasure is the ultimate reward that not only made me feel more happy and motivated in life, but also encouraged me to strive more in doing more great things in life and such knowing that I would obtain that reward in the end.

As for what someone might bring up which is quoted below:

“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Androcles and the Lion

This is not true. If you or anyone else here has found other things in life of greater value than your pleasure (which would include finding greater things in life than even your own feelings of love), then you obviously have not experienced these feelings nearly as profound or meaningful as I have to know that they are truly the only good and greatest things in life. I should also include that I also value the pleasure of others just as much as I value my own.

Now it's only your lifestyle aspects, attitude, and any negative beliefs associated with your delusional religious beliefs that determines whether your delusional religious beliefs are detrimental to you and/or anyone else. But since all of those things just stated above were perfect with my christian belief and I had no negative beliefs such as that God would send me to hell since I believed that God was much more loving and caring than that, then my christian belief would have given me a great life in which I would not harm myself and/or others.

Now if you are going to say something such as that "Delusional beliefs are detrimental in and of themselves because they cloud your mind and limit your thinking," this would be false because as long as there is no harm done to you or anyone else and that you are truly more happy with your life, then you are just fine with your religious belief. As for me, when I had my christian belief in the past, I never did any bad deeds through my christian belief. I was just someone who helped others and played videogames and my life was just fine for me and others around me.

Finally, even some atheists can have much more depression due to their atheism and can even harm themselves/harm others and do even more bad things in their life through their atheist mindset than a religious person would. As far as I can tell, I would be this type of person no matter what and would never be able to change or even change to the point where I would be just as good or better off with my atheism than my christian belief. Although I would never harm others no matter what since I care about others. I would also never look down upon atheists if I still had my christian belief and think that they are perhaps stupid for being atheists. I would respect their atheism anyway despite me being a christian. I never did such a thing anyway when I had my christian belief in the past.

You're also better off banned than as a posting member.

Funny how things work out sometimes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
(11-11-2014 10:11 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Who is this a sock puppet of this time?

The writing style and subject matter are both strongly reminiscent of MozartLink.
13-11-2014, 07:11 AM
(11-11-2014 07:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 09:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yay! I love waking up to find my freshly polished ban hammer waiting on my bedside table. I guess the ban hammer fairies were here last night! Weeeee!!

[Image: 901225.gif]

Holy crap! A 2nd edition troll! That takes me back.