I am disappoint

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2011, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 08:47 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
I am disappoint
I recently made a thread and though it had 2 pages of replies only 1 post attempted to answer to the OP, and even then was vague.

I suppose who needs to answer the thread when you can just take the piss, right?

Though I shouldn't really be very surprised because I see it all the time to be honest. Seems to be a trait of have certified intelligence. Is why I made a new thread to point it out.

I've also seen this same effect on 5 other recent threads.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 10:18 AM
RE: I am disappoint
So I'm guessing you're annoyed that people are very off-topic on this forum ?
Haven't noticed it that much but usually sub-threads form in any give thread when 2 or more people discuss a subject that came up in the main thread.
Sorry you feel like that dude , but compared to other forums or comment sections this forum seems fairly clean and structured to me ... Sad

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
26-04-2011, 11:03 AM

What thread are you talking about? Maybe link in this one and people will reply? Confused
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I understand Cetaceaphile, right now as I'm undergoing accute necrotic gingivitis (trench mouth), I'm not very active in talking but I am still looking and I do see enough deflection. It does seem that if something is brought up which is out of the room's comfort zone they tend to either clam up or stigmatize it. Like my explanations of being able to look past yourself. I've had some of the worst responses to it and not from a forum I would expect to be childish and rude. This forum is however a better forum than most in many circumstances. I guess the main thing to expect is that if you go out of the comfort zone things are going to get difficult. I know the post you're speaking of, and it was as if they were making fun of you. Just as me discussing Anthropology tends to be relayed as me discussing the impossible. Right now my mouth is in horrible pain and I'm not that worried, but for what this forum is about it does generally comfort me, even though people often seem to come off as elitist on here.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-04-2011, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 12:01 PM by DeepThought.)
(26-04-2011 08:44 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I recently made a thread and though it had 2 pages of replies only 1 post attempted to answer to the OP, and even then was vague.

I suppose who needs to answer the thread when you can just take the piss, right?

Though I shouldn't really be very surprised because I see it all the time to be honest. Seems to be a trait of have certified intelligence. Is why I made a new thread to point it out.

I've also seen this same effect on 5 other recent threads.

Seriously? That dolphin pic wasn't about taking the piss it was about making you laugh. I thought you'd like it. I put in effort to find that pic.. Jeez.. Sad UNGRATEFUL!

From your first post I got the impression that pseudo science and conspiracy theories make you feel uncomfortable etc for other reasons and you didn't refer to anything specific... It was a very vague post for the beginning of a thread. The way you posted it didn't make it look all that serious. I mean you have 'TTA forum's resident nutcase' as your subtitle! Smile I thought you were being funny.
There was no harm intended. And I like dolphins too.

I didn't know you meant any part of it seriously or half seriously. It is sometimes hard to tell when you communicate with only text.
26-04-2011, 02:41 PM
If you are talking about the "Control" post. That one has me confused. I thought it was a joke. I am sorry if that upset you.

To be honest with you Cetaceaphile...
Stating that you're a dolphin, having a signature that mimics a dolphin blowhole sound and stating that your forum title is "forum's resident nut-case" is, however really funny, not a good way to be taken serious.

You have to understand that, for people who have never met you IRL, it's hard to see a difference between serious/joking in a short post like that.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I wasn't totally sure which way you were going with that one. I was confused and didn't want to post something completely off-topic, so I didn't post. And yes, I know that sometimes we get off-topic, but TTA is laid back like that.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
27-04-2011, 10:35 PM
I thought that my post contained a reasonable possibility for consideration.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-04-2011, 03:29 PM
It's not really about the off-topic stuff, it's more to do with the hounding of people when it's considered "too ridiculous" to either disprove them or it "must be a joke" because they don't understand something that is going on, even if it's quite complicated.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
28-04-2011, 03:50 PM

(28-04-2011 03:29 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  It's not really about the off-topic stuff, it's more to do with the hounding of people when it's considered "too ridiculous" to either disprove them or it "must be a joke" because they don't understand something that is going on, even if it's quite complicated.
Well, as you've not provided any specifics as to which thread you would be referring to, or which of many as the case may be, I'll go with what someone proffered as having potential to meet the criteria for your OP here.

I was one that made a joke in your "Control" thread. It sounded like you were making the joke first. I think it may help if you understand, as relates to the "symptoms" you relate about in that particular thread, that if that's what you do seriously experience in such cases that this forum may not be where you need to find help for it.

I can understand if you post something like that to put out a feeler to see if anyone else experiences the same thing, however if you're looking for an answer as to what the root causes are, etc... and you feel it's a serious physical issue for you, that you can keyword search for forums wherein a specialized dialog could stand to help you.
Psychiatric discussion forums, for one. If nothing else, throw the question on Yahoo Answers. There's are many members that contribute there, because they have email accounts as well, who have PhD's in the fields of psychology, psychiatry, and psychotherapy. I know, because there are categories wherein one can ask their question, or seek answers that have already been either posted and closed, or are open for business.
And while it's true anyone can be anything on the Net, many of those who claim to be in the psychiatric field when they do proffer an answer, include their website's or office links, or even credentials as attachments. (Realizing as well those can also be BS). However, you stand to find qualified professional insight into something you take seriously there and after making the effort to find websites affording same, than you do posting here in what appears to be a joke, and then getting upset because people read it that way.

Your profile doesn't sound like you want to be taken seriously, for the most part. So when you worked to make that impression, how is it you're upset at any level of success? Huh I don't think anyone here, well except for the trainwrecked troll, would try to hurt you on purpose.
Quote this message in a reply