I am going to stop playing videogames

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I am going to stop playing videogames
Let's start 20 years ago.When I was about 7, my dad got a Personal Computer. *wow*
When it turned on, the letters were in bright colors and even that blew my mind.
The computer after that, could even play some games, like platformers and stuff. Needless to say, I was hooked.
A few years later, got the classic Nintendo, a few years after that, the Nintendo 64. And many other videogame consoles followed.

Now, I'm 27 and I have an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3 below my giant TV.
But it's just not really any fun anymore. It used to be that I got my mind blown by the new stuff, but lately nothing gets me excited anymore. The last game I really enjoyed was Alan Wake.

And now they're announcing the new videogamesystems like the PS4, which is going to be a PS3 with more RAM and social media functions. And the rumors of the new Xbox are similar, with an emphasis that used games can't be played on it.

And I can think of absolutely no reason to get one. Just no reason at all. Am I growing up? Am I growing out of a 2 decade phase? Or is it not me and is this industry the disappointment?

I have a few games left, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Mass Effect 3. (not an original title among them) and I guess I'm done after that. Putting it all on eBay and be done with it.
If I work up the courage to do it that is.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post
24-03-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: I am going to stop playing videogames
I have similar feelings about the new consoles, but I think there are some really great games out there. Ever played Portal or Anti Chamber on PC?

24-03-2013, 05:16 PM
There is a lot of people with a great deal of disappointment in the industry... but that is to happen with all adjusting markets. The gaming markets know they have a great deal of profit to gain from keeping up with the common experience.

I still have plenty on my PSX-PS2 collections I'll get to playing sometime and even more things when I can find them around used-places. Also some 360 but there's been very few games that seem interesting enough to get me to want to advance the system jump. It took awhile for 360 and Mass Effect was apart of that.

I have no problem with it because it hardly affects the gaming I do. I've never been one to keep up with the systems as they come out and have a drive to play new games. New graphics are impressive but I don't know why some aspects of it don't interest me. Some of it is the gameplay styles in games I like but also, the realism movement is something I think that is overdone; the creativity and capturing of different styles is what draws me to more games.

It's lame, but I feel there's a lot out there people could still be impressed by if they look back opposed to making the leap witch seems kinda weak at this stage still.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-03-2013, 01:33 AM
(24-03-2013 05:10 PM)Vipa Wrote:  I have similar feelings about the new consoles, but I think there are some really great games out there. Ever played Portal or Anti Chamber on PC?

Yeah, I played Portal.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
25-03-2013, 01:44 AM
I used to enjoy nothing more than smoking green and playing on computer games. I've had almost every single console that came out and I shudder to think how many hours of my life have been spent "entertaining" myself playing them.

I was getting bored of games until online gaming became the norm with consoles. Then I hated single player games and pitted my skills against people around the world and now i'm even tired of that. The last game I bought was Far Cry 3 and now I haven't even bothered to upgrade my Xbox account back to gold.

The only games i'm looking forward to now are Grand Theft Auto V and Watchdogs. Im kinda guessing that after I have played them then I will probably quit. I may buy one of the next gen consoles but only a few years after they have been released, im not paying full whack for something I probably wont use much.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-03-2013, 04:37 AM
I literally don't know what you mean. All the titles you mention, I have hardly seen them. My laptop (2006 model) can reliably run games from 2002 or so. To buy a console, a machine just for playing games, and a TV, seems a great waste of money to me.

You might get hooked on games again if you return to the true core of gaming. The indie RPG scene, the modern roguelikes and dungeon crawls, and all the gameplay and story-driven games that do not rely on great graphics or effects. The game industry lost its way, going into an endless arms race of graphics and physics, getting closer to reality, not realizing that it's not looks or reality that make games enjoyable.

A simple 2D grid in a tactical turn-based RPG can bring more excitement than a realistically rendered 3D scene. It's about the content, the tactical possibilities. A realistic 3D map may be still poor in content, especially if the level designers don't know about using the full potential of 3D space.

The good thing is, most of the best games are free or very cheap, from 5 to 20 bucks tops and last you weeks or months. 10 hours gameplay is nothing.

Right now my best tip for months/years is Tales of Maj'Eyal , a most modern yet content-heavy roguelike.

I stay away from the Japanese crap...
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
25-03-2013, 08:14 AM
(25-03-2013 04:37 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I stay away from the Japanese crap...

I've stayed away from JRPGs like the plague since the late 90s. The only JRPG I've enjoyed that's been released since then is Mother 3...which is old school style.

Otherwise with games anymore, I'm hit or miss. I'm not a fan of the emphasis on online social play or competitive play. The industry is appealing to the larger market. But some devs will keep appealing to the niches.

On the other hand, do what you think is best.