I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 06:33 AM
I am holier than thou
In one of my negative reps an atheist accused me of being a "holier than thou theist".
This got me thinking. Why would an atheist be offended by a theist considering themselves to be holier than an atheist? Holiness is a foreign and totally irrelevant concept to an atheist. In fact holiness is something to be utterly rejected because if something is holy it implies that it is associated with the divine, sacred and holy God.

It stands to reason therefore that a theist who values holiness must be holier than the atheist who rejects even the very notion that anything can be holy.

Here is the definition of holy
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.

By the grace of God the word holy describes me.
As a result of his choice to disbelieve and reject God, the word holy does not apply to the atheist.

So yes, I am holier than an atheist.
I make no bones about it or feel any need to make any kind of sanctimonious apology for this.

When an atheist has a cry and labels someone "holier than thou theist" what is he saying? He is in his heart conceding that there is a real and true condition of holiness. In his heart he concedes that the theist is holy and that he is not. Without even processing this in his mind his resentment boils over into an irrational outburst where he labels and rejects the theist.

This is the attitude of Cain, when God did not favour him. Cain rose up in his anger and slew righteous Abel. Instead of repenting and seeking God's favour so that he could be like Abel he rejected Abel completely by killing him. As a result he became a vagabond on the earth rejected by God and man alike.

You gotta feel sorry for Atheists, these modern Cains. All they can do is blurt out their fumes of resentment as they wait in shuddering fear for the judgement day.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2013 07:41 AM by Chas.)
RE: I am holier than thou
(17-09-2013 06:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  In one of my negative reps an atheist accused me of being a "holier than thou theist".
This got me thinking. Why would an atheist be offended by a theist considering themselves to be holier than an atheist? Holiness is a foreign and totally irrelevant concept to an atheist. In fact holiness is something to be utterly rejected because if something is holy it implies that it is associated with the divine, sacred and holy God.

It stands to reason therefore that a theist who values holiness must be holier than the atheist who rejects even the very notion that anything can be holy.

1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.

As a result of his choice to disbelieve and reject God, the word holy does not apply to the atheist.

I make no bones about it or feel any need to make any kind of sanctimonious apology for this.

When an atheist has a cry and labels someone "holier than thou theist" what is he saying? He is in his heart conceding that there is a real and true condition of holiness. In his heart he concedes that the theist is holy and that he is not. Without even processing this in his mind his resentment boils over into an irrational outburst where he labels and rejects the theist.

This is the attitude of Cain, when God did not favour him. Cain rose up in his anger and slew righteous Abel. Instead of repenting and seeking God's favour so that he could be like Abel he rejected Abel completely by killing him. As a result he became a vagabond on the earth rejected by God and man alike.

You gotta feel sorry for Atheists, these modern Cains. All they can do is blurt out their fumes of resentment as they wait in shuddering fear for the judgement day.

You misunderstand the meaning of that phrase.

It refers to the unjustified belief that one is better in some way for having certain beliefs and views. It is intended as an insult, and rightly so.

Your self-proclaimed 'holiness' marks you as delusional. The use of the expression in no way endorses the reality of your theology, just the reality of your delusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Wow, I don't know what dwarfs what - the super sized ego or the super sized stupidity on this little feller.

Cool story bro! Needs more dragons.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
17-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Negative rep added to your profile just for starting this thread. Pray on that, you holier than thou cry-baby
17-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Isaiah 64:6?

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
17-09-2013, 07:13 AM
u r evil that is why u avoid rights and the concept of holy is meaning being over everyone and everything rights

the only reason of reality is about right

the recognition of objective else only to mean itself existence presence as else to

that what also reveal believers as liars, bc if they care about existing they would recognize existence being true, it reveals their truth how they mean powers over existence so fake freedom that never exist

believers want to take advantage from truth, infinite existence is very hard to prove being positive fact at an absolute free level
there would b always smthg missing in the conception of absolute fact while also any negative intent can pump out living by ruining positive constancy
so believers are the happy wills to lean on a god that know how to abuse the impossible justification of absolute existence, by inventing circle images of opposites making one, so nothing but calling it beauty reasons waooo while it is the opposite berkkk

wat is funny is that insistence of believer to claim their right of calling themselves holly through facing othres that must recognize not caring for

put all holly in ur ass, the atheist have no problem with facts, the fact is not the holy anything but only the will of u to pretend being superior while through his acceptance so through others existence

which is the rule of evil to live by abusing others presence for a positive justification of being superior urself

so the opposite way of right superiority, the opposition to true freedom sense
[+] 1 user Likes absols's post
17-09-2013, 07:14 AM
(17-09-2013 06:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  In one of my negative reps an atheist accused me of being a "holier than thou theist".

Where do you get this information...no shuddering here.

I feel sorry for you, living your life believing in a fairy tale.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
17-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Absols,meet Excubitor...
Excubitor,meet absols...
Ting ting ting ting... Let the match begin

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
17-09-2013, 07:29 AM
We are saved...absols is going to take care of Excubitor for us...using the baffle-em method.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
17-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi excubitor!

I hadn't noticed you before. Sorry for not saying "hi" earlier.

Nice way to get yourself noticed, though.

I went to look at your post history and I see you've kept yourself to a small number of topics. Which explains it.

I was looking for your 'introduction' post to find out why you are here.

Please forgive me if I missed it but... why are you here?

I'm genuinely curious.

Nicely written OP btw. I like that. But you ended with an unusual generalisation about people you have never met:

(17-09-2013 06:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  ...
Atheists, ... All they can do is blurt out their fumes of resentment as they wait in shuddering fear for the judgement day.

Maybe you simply haven't been on the forum long enough to get to know us (like many of the more popular theists here have managed to do) or maybe, well, I was wondering whether you had had maybe some sort of traumatic experience, some mental, verbal or physical abuse, perhaps as a child, to make you say something like that.

Happy to discuss via private message if it's something you find embarrassing.

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post