I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 11:28 AM
RE: I am holier than thou
(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 10:56 AM)excubitor Wrote:  ...
Jesus Christ born of a virgin
He ... was ... resurrected
God made heaven and earth in six days
cataclysmic global flood.

So you are saying that you believe these things despite the evidence to the contrary.
I deny that there is evidence to the contrary. If data is represented by scientists and interpreted in such a way as to contradict those things believed by faith and divine revelation from the scriptures, then we can safely conclude that the scientists are either sadly mistaken, biased against religion, or deliberately lying. This error will eventually be exposed by the peer review system, or a new theory from science.

(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup, that's best practice which is btw what I teach for a living... business decisions are made by using process and facts not hearsay and rumour.
DLJ's best practice lesson 101.

Smile
There are some things which cannot be learned through process and facts. That is why we need divine revelation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
(17-09-2013 11:24 AM)kim Wrote:  Well, so much for something new.

I'll take some lunch, now. Drinking Beverage

There is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
(17-09-2013 10:44 AM)gall Wrote:  so this thread like so many on here has degenerated into meaningless insulting and posturing.

Any chance of a reduction of personal insults and an increase in topic awareness?

So, enlighten us.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
17-09-2013, 11:29 AM
(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 10:57 AM)kim Wrote:  For some(many), atheism is the rejection of a belief which has been acquired through surrounding influences. For others, atheism is just a label which fits, since no belief was ever fostered and most likely never acquired; it is simply original non-belief. Both of these definitions are sincere and may or may not carry a degree of militancy with which to defend respective views.

Very often, an individual who had to fight against their own acceptance of surrounding influences, may exhibit outward appearances of militancy. It's understandable. Those of us who never acquired belief initially wonder what the fuss must be about… until we learn about the exploitation of authoritative power which surrounds belief and the abuse dispensed by such authority. This is how and why militant atheism is brought to the forefront; it is unconscionable to stand idle with the knowledge that further abuse could be curtailed by raising awareness.

If theists are so troubled by the militancy of atheist... then one solution might be to stop indoctrinating children to believe. Drinking Beverage
Well I understand that the word indoctrination has a negative connotation. So perhaps I will retract my statement that I indoctrinate my children. What I mean actually quite simply is that I teach my children the Christian faith, how, why and what to believe.
Every good parent teaches their children. Even atheists teach their children what they believe will serve them well to learn as they grow up. I think it was DHL that offered the somewhat idealistic notion that he was taught how to think not what to think. Really that is not practical. I doubt that parents sit down beside the cradle and worry themselves to figure out whether they are indoctrinating their children with what to think instead of educating them how to think. The notion is completely impractical. Nobody does this. It is a platitude which sounds good. Atheists who lobby governments to ban ID being taught in school are robbing students the opportunity to be presented with alternative views. This of course is constraining an opportunity to learn how to think and choose between alternative views. This is because atheists want to indoctrinate students into evolutionism.

The scripture says "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it"
The reason so many young people are militant and lacking discipline and direction is because their fathers have neglected them and have not taught them what to think and have not taught them how to think.

Isn't teaching something with the threat of horrible consequences to a child a type of indoctrination? Only asking?

People (not just atheists) lobby to ban ID being taught in Science class because it isn't science. I prefer to Norse creation story in any case. So if I was your kids Bio teacher...Drinking Beverage

If there was a class on religions and it contained discussions of the different creation stories that would be fine. You can teach about eligion in US public schools as long as the class is not geared to one faith. This would mean teaching without proseltysing.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
17-09-2013, 11:30 AM
(17-09-2013 11:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  (you sound like I & I. A lot like him in fact Consider )

Nope. I checked. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-09-2013, 11:31 AM
or how is it called love when they make sex

do we have to keep making sex with things also if we love them

and how do they love when it is just one other they make sex with

doesnt love should at least point two different things loved to justify not meaning urself
[+] 5 users Like absols's post
17-09-2013, 11:31 AM
(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)excubitor Wrote:  ...
I doubt that parents sit down beside the cradle and worry themselves to figure out whether they are indoctrinating their children with what to think instead of educating them how to think. The notion is completely impractical. Nobody does this.

Are you calling me a liar? I just told you they taught me how to think.

But a small correction: With my parents it was innate. They didn't worry about it, they just did it.

It's pretty simple. I asked a question and they showed me how to figure out the answer for myself e.g.

DLJ: Dad, why is the sky blue?
Dad: Good question, son. What do you think is the best way to find out the answer to that?

That's what I got.

I didn't get:
Dad: Because god made it that way.

Or worse:
Dad: Because god made it that way. And if you doubt that you will burn in hell for eternity.

BTW... Thanks Dad.
I don't say that often enough.

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
17-09-2013, 11:33 AM
(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)absols Wrote:  or how is it called love when they make sex

do we have to keep making sex with things also if we love them

and how do they love when it is just one other they make sex with

doesnt love should at least point two different things loved to justify not meaning urself

I think I understood, and agree.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-09-2013, 11:35 AM
(17-09-2013 11:28 AM)excubitor Wrote:  ...
There are some things which cannot be learned through process and facts. That is why we need divine revelation.

Fortunately for my bank balance (I am the highest paid trainer in AsiaPac Tongue ) that is not a truth.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-09-2013, 11:37 AM
(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)absols Wrote:  do we have to keep making sex with things also if we love them
Doesn't everyone?

That's not just me.... is it? Blink

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post