I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 11:39 AM
RE: I am holier than thou
(17-09-2013 10:17 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 10:02 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So you're not comfortable in addressing my question. How cowardly of you. If you preach it and practice it and are questioned about it, be sure to actually stand up for your beliefs no matter how absurd they are because otherwise you come out looking like your ashamed of the beliefs your Roman Catholic Church holds and don't share all of its views.
Perhaps you could invent some hate crime laws and then force Christians to walk into them with taunts of cowardice.
Personally I do believe that homosexuality is an intrinsic moral evil but you did not ask for my personal belief you asked for confirmation of what the Roman Catholic Church teaches.

So here is what the church teaches which is what I also believe.

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

I stand by what I said, that you acted as a coward when you deliberately avoided my question. If that's a taunt to you, please reread the previous sentence.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 11:41 AM
(17-09-2013 11:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)absols Wrote:  or how is it called love when they make sex

do we have to keep making sex with things also if we love them

and how do they love when it is just one other they make sex with

doesnt love should at least point two different things loved to justify not meaning urself

I think I understood, and agree.

Me too. I even gave him a 'like'. His/her (or its... 'cause the bot-hypothesis is still valid) effort needs encouragement, I feel.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-09-2013, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2013 11:55 AM by absols.)
babies seem borned aware of two ways

things are true, they must respect everything as it is and clarify honestly what it means or needs, for good life through right constant positive means

things can b possessed, as the way of positive life by inventing a constancy of being in meaning happiness from getting things

who adopt the first premise, end up living of what they are objectively positive really about

for the second, they end up inventing themselves alone so lying about everything for sure, which could b adjusted in lookin being ok, but some of them would b dragged to look wrong or powerful by stealing stuffs or killing others

religion is like an extra element introduced to the mind of a child for both ways corruptions, so to kill the possible freedom individuals could deal through with truth conception ruling objective existence

so for the straight way will, religion would deform it as meaning good bc god wants it, so not the child will to himself it is about what another wants from him

and for the wrong way, religion points the child being right of his wrong beliefs to introduce him to god that sees and knows everything he thinls so he must b careful to not go to hell, and thank constantly god and pray him for whatever he dreams to get of things, so religion would break any possible relation with the objective end of its wrong means
17-09-2013, 11:51 AM
(17-09-2013 11:44 AM)absols Wrote:  babies seem borned aware of two ways

things are true, they must respect everything as it is and clarify honestly what it means or needs, for good life through right constant positive means

things can b possessed, as the way of positive life by inventing a constancy of being in meaning happiness from getting things

who adopt the first premise, end up living of what they are objectively positive really about

for the second, they end up inventing themselves alone so lying about everything for sure, which could b adjusted in lookin being ok, but some of them would b dragged to look wrong or powerful by stealing stuffs or killing others

Yeah, sort of like this:

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
17-09-2013, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2013 12:16 PM by DLJ.)
Just as an aside...

Isn't this about the point in a rapidly growing thread where Hughsie is supposed to chime in with:

"I haven't read any of the previous posts but ..." and then proceeds to cover everything we've already covered?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
17-09-2013, 12:12 PM
(17-09-2013 12:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Just as an aside...

Isn't this about the point a rapidly growing thread where Hughsie is supposed to chime in with:

"I haven't read any of the previous posts but ..." and then proceeds to cover everything we've already covered?

Drinking Beverage

Your fellow countryman is slipping!Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-09-2013, 12:24 PM
(17-09-2013 10:56 AM)excubitor Wrote:  I concede that as my starting precept I believe by faith that God is real and true, that he came to earth as Jesus Christ born of a virgin. He died and was buried, was resurrected into new life and ascended to the Father. I believe in the holy catholic church and her teachings and the scriptures she delivered to us which teach that God made heaven and earth in six days and that there was a cataclysmic global flood. These presuppositions are a framework of belief borne of faith from the divine revelation of God around which all "evidences" established by the physical senses must be subject.
This is my boast and the great power that I have over you all, because you only trust what you can see, feel, touch, taste, smell, measure and study.

As a result of putting such high and unwarranted value on physical evidences you very quickly throw away divine revelation the minute you think that the physical evidence contradicts it. Unfortunately you have not factored in the power of deceit by Satan and liars who are able to manipulate your senses so that you make errors in judgement and are led astray.
There have been many such frauds in science which have resulted in people believing lies for decades until the peer review system kicks in.
Well i am not going to put my faith in sciences peer review system to uncover the lies. I am going to put my faith in the living God who created me and who gave me his church to guide, shelter and feed me.

I will make no apology and happily boast of my presuppositions that God is almighty, omnipotent and eternal, knowing all things from the beginning to the end, small and great.

Ok, I will accept your presuppositions.

So, god is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent.

If he is omniscient, he knows about every human being's suffering. Children with cancer, old people being physically and mentally abused, girls being raped, and, and, and all the suffering out there - all of this, he knows.

If he is omnipresent, he is right there next to all that pain and agony.

If he is omnipotent, he could put a stop to it that instant.

What is the matter with him? Is he a sadist? He has to be the meanest psychopath in existence.

When I realized this as a youngster, plus all the evil he did in the first testament, that is when I left the catholic church never to come back.

I'd rather risk burning in hell than worship a sadist of such horrendous caliber.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
17-09-2013, 12:28 PM
(17-09-2013 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Seriously, dude? The only thing we can learn from you is delusion.

Sure, but if we wanted to learn about delusion, we have a better teacher already.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
17-09-2013, 12:55 PM
(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)excubitor Wrote:  This is because atheists want to indoctrinate students into evolutionism.

You are aware that the RCC holds evolution to be a fact, are you not? Just wondering.....I've only skimmed the thread and didn't catch if this had been touched upon yet.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
17-09-2013, 01:01 PM
(17-09-2013 06:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  In one of my negative reps an atheist accused me of being a "holier than thou theist".
This got me thinking. Why would an atheist be offended by a theist considering themselves to be holier than an atheist? Holiness is a foreign and totally irrelevant concept to an atheist. In fact holiness is something to be utterly rejected because if something is holy it implies that it is associated with the divine, sacred and holy God.

It stands to reason therefore that a theist who values holiness must be holier than the atheist who rejects even the very notion that anything can be holy.

Here is the definition of holy
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.

By the grace of God the word holy describes me.
As a result of his choice to disbelieve and reject God, the word holy does not apply to the atheist.

So yes, I am holier than an atheist.
I make no bones about it or feel any need to make any kind of sanctimonious apology for this.

When an atheist has a cry and labels someone "holier than thou theist" what is he saying? He is in his heart conceding that there is a real and true condition of holiness. In his heart he concedes that the theist is holy and that he is not. Without even processing this in his mind his resentment boils over into an irrational outburst where he labels and rejects the theist.

This is the attitude of Cain, when God did not favour him. Cain rose up in his anger and slew righteous Abel. Instead of repenting and seeking God's favour so that he could be like Abel he rejected Abel completely by killing him. As a result he became a vagabond on the earth rejected by God and man alike.

You gotta feel sorry for Atheists, these modern Cains. All they can do is blurt out their fumes of resentment as they wait in shuddering fear for the judgement day.

Hope this makes you happy, evenheathen

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post