I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2013, 03:40 AM

RE: I am holier than thou
(17-09-2013 07:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The fact that this guy is claiming to be a Geo-centrist should be the first , and only needed, clue that this is a poe. Enjoy playing with your new toy but there is no way this is legit.

I started to suspect when he kept claiming that the RCC is the only authority for determining the truth. I mean, how can someone be that delusional?

However, just take a look at some questions Catholics tend to ask:
http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay....2b1cb8&f=4

So obviously, one can never be sure.

If he is a troll, then I congratulate him because he's a very advanced one.
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2013, 02:55 AM
(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)excubitor Wrote:  ...
I doubt that parents sit down beside the cradle and worry themselves to figure out whether they are indoctrinating their children with what to think instead of educating them how to think. The notion is completely impractical. Nobody does this.

Are you calling me a liar? I just told you they taught me how to think.
No I don't think you are lying, I just think you are quite addled on this point.

(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But a small correction: With my parents it was innate. They didn't worry about it, they just did it.
Your parents taught you what the colour blue was. They taught you what the sky was, long before it occurred to you to ask why the sky was blue. Its ridiculous to suggest that teachers do not convey knowledge of facts about the way things are.

(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It's pretty simple. I asked a question and they showed me how to figure out the answer for myself e.g.

DLJ: Dad, why is the sky blue?
Dad: Good question, son. What do you think is the best way to find out the answer to that?
No Father would be so inane as to answer this way to a genuine question of his son. That is avoiding the question and is truly one of the worst teaching styles I have ever heard advocated.

(17-09-2013 11:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  That's what I got.

I didn't get:
Dad: Because god made it that way.

Or worse:
Dad: Because god made it that way. And if you doubt that you will burn in hell for eternity.

BTW... Thanks Dad.
I don't say that often enough.
You are making a mockery of the parenting skills of christian parents.
No Christian parent I have heard of has presented their religion to their children in this manner.
We teach our children that God loves us. But we also teach children that if they take drugs they can destroy their lives. We warn of the dangers of venereal disease, unwanted pregnancy, potentially abusive partners, danger of jail if they break the law etc.

Here is your parenting style
DLJ: Dad, why are some drugs illegal?
Dad: Dad: Good question, son. What do you think is the best way to find out the answer to that?

What a joke. We explain what some of the drugs are, what impacts they have on the body and the mind, how lives, relationship, health etc can be damaged by the effects of the drugs. We explain how the government have passed laws making it illegal and imposing serious consequences on users and drug pushers.
In short we teach our children.

In the same way when our children ask "Why is adultery a sin"
Dad explains how adultery damages the sacred bond between husband and wife, how it can lead to men raising children which are not their own, how it arouses destructive jealousies and feelings of intense betrayal, how women found with children conceived in adultery often abort the babies, how venereal diseases can enter the marriage and infect the innocent spouse, how marriages can break down and leave the family in poverty and the children get shuffled between the parents often growing up without their fathers etc. And so we explain that for all these reasons God, the great and ultimate lawmaker has made a law to prohibit adultery and ascribed a penalty for those who engage in it.
That is called education. That is called teaching.

It's not called indoctrination, its called teaching and education. It's called raising children in a good path. It is a parents right and duty to teach their children.

My children are not quivering wrecks unable to function because of their terror of hell. The fear of hell is not for the righteous who have God's favour and who are in a state of grace. The fear of hell is for sinners, who are committing sins and are not seeking God.

Or worse:
Dad: Because god made it that way. And if you doubt that you will burn in hell for eternity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2013, 03:01 AM
(17-09-2013 11:39 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 10:17 AM)excubitor Wrote:  Perhaps you could invent some hate crime laws and then force Christians to walk into them with taunts of cowardice.
Personally I do believe that homosexuality is an intrinsic moral evil but you did not ask for my personal belief you asked for confirmation of what the Roman Catholic Church teaches.

So here is what the church teaches which is what I also believe.

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

I stand by what I said, that you acted as a coward when you deliberately avoided my question. If that's a taunt to you, please reread the previous sentence.
If someone accuses someone of being a coward and then they make it clear that they are not by answering the challengers of their accuser then why are they still a coward?
You might have thought I was a coward at my first post (which of course I denied) but it is very clear from my second post that I am not a coward. Yet you have made no admission of this and are still painting me as a coward.
This shows that your are an unreasonable person of ill will.God did not offer peace to men of ill will such as Cain. He offers peace to men of good will. Kind and reasonable men who are willing to give others the benefit of doubt.

If you want the peace of God therefore, show yourself to be a man of good will and concede that I am not a coward.
19-09-2013, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2013 03:33 AM by excubitor.)
(17-09-2013 12:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  I'd rather risk burning in hell than worship a sadist of such horrendous caliber.
You sin, and if you sin how would you howl at God if he tried to stop you from sinning.
One reason that God defines sin is that sin does not just cause suffering for a man himself but causes suffering for men around him. God could prevent suffering by preventing men from sinning. How would you like God to omnipotentally prevent you from sinning? You would react with outrage and God would have to turn you into a robot. If he did this we would have a world of not just Stepford wives but Stepford husbands as well. Is that what you want.

God has tried to do what you suggest. He sent terrible punishments on men who caused greater suffering to the innocent, but then you call this horrendous sadism because God punished the wicked in the first testament. So God cannot win in your eyes.

No, the only way God can address this horrible situation is to let it run its course. Men need to see the suffering that they have caused and seek to repent and change and live righteous lives which will not harm the innocent. Nor has God been impassive. He sent his only begotten Son to die on the cross and pay the penalty for all our sins so that we can be reborn as a holy people, given his Holy Spirit so that they may have the strength to resist and overcome sin. He then gives these of his people the commission to go out and heal the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, preach the gospel to the down hearted. This Catholics have done more than any other people since the first century. They are part of the solution but you have rejected them. You have become the impassive sod that you accuse God of being because you have put down your plowshare that you were given at your confirmation.

How shall God react toward you when you appear before him at the judgement seat and must give an account of the gifts of the Holy Spirit which you were blessed with as a child. I am sad to say that he will not react well. Your risk of terrible suffering in hell is more real than you realise.

Turn now and seek the Lord while he may still be found.
19-09-2013, 03:38 AM

(19-09-2013 03:01 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 11:39 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I stand by what I said, that you acted as a coward when you deliberately avoided my question. If that's a taunt to you, please reread the previous sentence.
If someone accuses someone of being a coward and then they make it clear that they are not by answering the challengers of their accuser then why are they still a coward?
You might have thought I was a coward at my first post (which of course I denied) but it is very clear from my second post that I am not a coward. Yet you have made no admission of this and are still painting me as a coward.
This shows that your are an unreasonable person of ill will.God did not offer peace to men of ill will such as Cain. He offers peace to men of good will. Kind and reasonable men who are willing to give others the benefit of doubt.

If you want the peace of God therefore, show yourself to be a man of good will and concede that I am not a coward.

Excubitor, you've been Ex-posed. Whenever someone answers your arguments or starts asking questions you don't like, you start to accuse them of being unreasonable, unthinking, evil, or other empty claims.
You did the same to me, because you couldn't respond to my total destruction of your arguments. I will quote our exchange from a few days ago:

(17-09-2013 10:38 AM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 10:09 AM)excubitor Wrote:  I have one argument for you and that is that you are a rude person with a proclivity to shoot off unthinking labels, rhetoric and insults. Of course I have no further intention to engage with you. You put a lot of effort into being rude which is why all of my future efforts will be directed toward ignoring you.

Of course that, by acting offended, you were actually setting the stage for refusing to continue debating me, because you were cornered and left without arguments, so you needed an excuse, in order not to lose your honor. It's not the first time I come across such a tactic. It's deceptive, and most of all, cowardly. And cowardice is a sin, dear Christian.

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
This is the second death.
" (Revelation 21:8)

Therefore, allow me to add "cowardly" to my list of "insults" towards you, and proclaim my victory. Clap

[...]

Get back in the hole you crawled out of, you coward.

Now, you may continue to ignore me, but I can continue to post this every now and then in this thread, so that every new reader can see for themselves that you're a coward.

P.S. CTS is a woman. This shouldn't be surprising - we're not a Catholic hierarchy, so we have women among our ranks.
19-09-2013, 03:44 AM
(17-09-2013 12:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 11:15 AM)excubitor Wrote:  This is because atheists want to indoctrinate students into evolutionism.

You are aware that the RCC holds evolution to be a fact, are you not? Just wondering.....I've only skimmed the thread and didn't catch if this had been touched upon yet.
No it doesn't. Show me that in the Catechism. A couple of recent Popes have said some things to make the Pontifical Academy of the Sciences happy but they were pretty weak statements. Mere opinions really.

The Popes know that they cannot state that Evolution is fact because that would oppose the sacred tradition of a six day creation which has persisted for 2000 years and for all the years prior. A fact known by Adam and all of his descendants, and by Noah, and by Abraham and his descendents. Confirmed by God to his people through Moses. Solomon the wisest man who ever lived never contradicted this fact. The creator of the universe who came to the earth incarnate, namely Jesus Christ never denied this and said many things in support of it.

The apostles were never told any different, nor were any of the theologians or doctors of the church for over 2000 years. Compared to this ageless testimony the weak opinions of a couple of modern popes amounts to very little. The Popes of today could far more easily counter the entire world of science than to even think of attempting to counter the sacred traditions of the church, the apostles and prophets and the clear account of the sacred scriptures.
19-09-2013, 03:49 AM
(17-09-2013 02:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 11:22 AM)excubitor Wrote:  Of course not. sex in marriage is a legitimate expression of love. Sex outside of marriage whether homosexual or heterosexual is not an expression of love at all but is selfish lust which is destructive to both parties.
Love between men and men is only pure and true if it is not expressed in a lustful sexual act.
Love between women and women is only pure and true if it is not expressed in a lustful sexual act.
Love between men and women who are not married is only pure if it is not expressed in a lustful sexual act.

According to the teachings of the Catholic Church which alone has the authority to proclaim what is true, sexual love can only be expressed in marriage when the sexual act is open to the conception of children.

I do not accept the authority of the RCC in these matters; why do you? On what basis?
Because Jesus Christ received his authority from God the Father which he passed to the Apostle Peter giving him the keys to the kingdom, giving the other apostles the power to open and shut in heaven by the decisions they make on earth, powers and authorities that exceed even that of the angels. Because Christ instituted through the sacrament of Holy Orders that these powers and authorities were to pass to the Pope as successor to Peter and to the bishops as successors to the apostles. So we have a heavenly authority ruling on matters of faith, morals, sin and death. Against this great authority no man can speak without earning for himself the retribution of the most holy God, judge and maker of all things, king ruling supreme over all things as he was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be for evermore.
19-09-2013, 03:57 AM
[Image: hF6666AFB]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-09-2013, 04:03 AM
A couple of people here have accused me of being a coward.
To me this is utterly hilarious.
A man who uses a pseudonym on a blog and calls another man a coward, is not only a coward but a hypocrite also.

A man such as that, or woman, is good for only one purpose.
To practice the useful skill of ignoring, neglecting and utterly slighting a rude and abusive brute.
19-09-2013, 04:11 AM

(19-09-2013 04:03 AM)excubitor Wrote:  A couple of people here have accused me of being a coward.
To me this is utterly hilarious.
A man who uses a pseudonym on a blog and calls another man a coward, is not only a coward but a hypocrite also.

A man such as that, or woman, is good for only one purpose.
To practice the useful skill of ignoring, neglecting and utterly slighting a rude and abusive brute.

In that case, what are you still doing on this forum? Why not ignore all of us permanently and leave? Nobody would miss you.
[+] 1 user Likes Philosoraptor's post