I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 07:47 AM
RE: I am holier than thou
Saying you are "holy" is like saying one is "cheesy" - does not beg for any envy or recognition.

Just to play along with the theme, here is what I might be:
"I am less infectected with dilusion than thou"
"I am less arrogant than thou"
"I am more honest to myself than thou"
"I am less gullible than thou"
"I rely on science more than thou"
"I am clearer than thou"

There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven. - Robert Green Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post
17-09-2013, 07:55 AM
(17-09-2013 07:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hi excubitor!

I hadn't noticed you before. Sorry for not saying "hi" earlier.

Nice way to get yourself noticed, though.

I went to look at your post history and I see you've kept yourself to a small number of topics. Which explains it.

I was looking for your 'introduction' post to find out why you are here.

Please forgive me if I missed it but... why are you here?

I'm genuinely curious.

Nicely written OP btw. I like that. But you ended with an unusual generalisation about people you have never met:

(17-09-2013 06:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  ...
Atheists, ... All they can do is blurt out their fumes of resentment as they wait in shuddering fear for the judgement day.

Maybe you simply haven't been on the forum long enough to get to know us (like many of the more popular theists here have managed to do) or maybe, well, I was wondering whether you had had maybe some sort of traumatic experience, some mental, verbal or physical abuse, perhaps as a child, to make you say something like that.

Happy to discuss via private message if it's something you find embarrassing.

Hug

I saw what you did there...

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-09-2013, 07:56 AM
(17-09-2013 06:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  You misunderstand the meaning of that phrase.

It refers to the unjustified belief that one is better in some way for having certain beliefs and views. It is intended as an insult, and rightly so.
Fair point. But I was trying to get people to consider the actual words in the phrase rather than the generally accepted off the cuff meaning of the phrase.
I certainly don't believe that I am better than other people. My holiness comes as a result of my association with a Holy God, and is not a reflection of any particular strength or superiority of myself. As the scripture says "Lest any flesh should glory"

In fact I concede that it is because I am weak and one of the poor and feeble amongst you all which is why I have a soft heart towards God and seek him for his support and strength. It is through my weakness and humility that I speak boldly because the Holy Spirit within me strengthens me and gives me the words.
The indwelling of God gives me great confidence and an ability to stand against the accusers of holy men and the detractors of a Holy righteous God.

I understand that the atheist is firing off an insult. That was the whole point of my post, to highlight the attitude and motivation which is behind the insult.
17-09-2013, 07:57 AM
(17-09-2013 07:13 AM)absols Wrote:  u r evil that is why u avoid rights and the concept of holy is meaning being over everyone and everything rights

the only reason of reality is about right

the recognition of objective else only to mean itself existence presence as else to

that what also reveal believers as liars, bc if they care about existing they would recognize existence being true, it reveals their truth how they mean powers over existence so fake freedom that never exist

believers want to take advantage from truth, infinite existence is very hard to prove being positive fact at an absolute free level
there would b always smthg missing in the conception of absolute fact while also any negative intent can pump out living by ruining positive constancy
so believers are the happy wills to lean on a god that know how to abuse the impossible justification of absolute existence, by inventing circle images of opposites making one, so nothing but calling it beauty reasons waooo while it is the opposite berkkk

wat is funny is that insistence of believer to claim their right of calling themselves holly through facing othres that must recognize not caring for

put all holly in ur ass, the atheist have no problem with facts, the fact is not the holy anything but only the will of u to pretend being superior while through his acceptance so through others existence

which is the rule of evil to live by abusing others presence for a positive justification of being superior urself

so the opposite way of right superiority, the opposition to true freedom sense
I am not replying to this post because of its sheer illegibility.
17-09-2013, 08:00 AM
(17-09-2013 07:57 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 07:13 AM)absols Wrote:  u r evil that is why u avoid rights and the concept of holy is meaning being over everyone and everything rights

the only reason of reality is about right

the recognition of objective else only to mean itself existence presence as else to

that what also reveal believers as liars, bc if they care about existing they would recognize existence being true, it reveals their truth how they mean powers over existence so fake freedom that never exist

believers want to take advantage from truth, infinite existence is very hard to prove being positive fact at an absolute free level
there would b always smthg missing in the conception of absolute fact while also any negative intent can pump out living by ruining positive constancy
so believers are the happy wills to lean on a god that know how to abuse the impossible justification of absolute existence, by inventing circle images of opposites making one, so nothing but calling it beauty reasons waooo while it is the opposite berkkk

wat is funny is that insistence of believer to claim their right of calling themselves holly through facing othres that must recognize not caring for

put all holly in ur ass, the atheist have no problem with facts, the fact is not the holy anything but only the will of u to pretend being superior while through his acceptance so through others existence

which is the rule of evil to live by abusing others presence for a positive justification of being superior urself

so the opposite way of right superiority, the opposition to true freedom sense
I am not replying to this post because of its sheer illegibility.
Good call...it never gets better.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Re: I am holier than thou
Words don't exist in a vacuum of one meaning. Language is living and phrases as understood in context and in metaphorical meaning are of no hamper to their exact origins.

Atheists use the phrase oh my God plenty with no care. Because its ingrained by their culture and it is has no reverence to its religious meaning to many, even many religious people.

Its basically saying you sound elitist, to use a different phrase. It was also probably used because the person was aware you were Christian which gives it that connection, not mattering that they are an atheist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
17-09-2013, 08:04 AM
(17-09-2013 07:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 06:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  In one of my negative reps an atheist accused me of being a "holier than thou theist".
This got me thinking. Why would an atheist be offended by a theist considering themselves to be holier than an atheist? Holiness is a foreign and totally irrelevant concept to an atheist. In fact holiness is something to be utterly rejected because if something is holy it implies that it is associated with the divine, sacred and holy God.

It stands to reason therefore that a theist who values holiness must be holier than the atheist who rejects even the very notion that anything can be holy.

Here is the definition of holy
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.

By the grace of God the word holy describes me.
As a result of his choice to disbelieve and reject God, the word holy does not apply to the atheist.

So yes, I am holier than an atheist.
I make no bones about it or feel any need to make any kind of sanctimonious apology for this.

When an atheist has a cry and labels someone "holier than thou theist" what is he saying? He is in his heart conceding that there is a real and true condition of holiness. In his heart he concedes that the theist is holy and that he is not. Without even processing this in his mind his resentment boils over into an irrational outburst where he labels and rejects the theist.

This is the attitude of Cain, when God did not favour him. Cain rose up in his anger and slew righteous Abel. Instead of repenting and seeking God's favour so that he could be like Abel he rejected Abel completely by killing him. As a result he became a vagabond on the earth rejected by God and man alike.

You gotta feel sorry for Atheists, these modern Cains. All they can do is blurt out their fumes of resentment as they wait in shuddering fear for the judgement day.
Where do you get this information...no shuddering here.

I feel sorry for you, living your life believing in a fairy tale.
I admit that not all atheists shudder in fear of God. In fact none of them do. If they did shudder and fear God then they would repent and turn to him. It is in their heart of hearts, their deeper inmost thoughts that they shudder. However they delude themselves and bury these subconscious stirrings deep under layers of lies. However the wise and perceptive can recognise these deep motivations of a man's innermost thoughts by various clues such as the "holier than thou" insult which is the subject of this thread.

I suggest that you learn from me. Search and examine your heart and innermost thoughts and motivations. Follow me, humble yourself, repent and turn your heart to the Lord God while he may be found. Then you will find peace and rest for your soul.
17-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Ummm...thanks for the offer but no.

It is awfully pretentious of you to claim that you know what is in another person's heart and/or mind.

Why should we learn from you...what is it that makes you so special and superior?

17-09-2013, 08:07 AM
(17-09-2013 08:04 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 07:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Where do you get this information...no shuddering here.

I feel sorry for you, living your life believing in a fairy tale.
I admit that not all atheists shudder in fear of God. In fact none of them do. If they did shudder and fear God then they would repent and turn to him. It is in their heart of hearts, their deeper inmost thoughts that they shudder. However they delude themselves and bury these subconscious stirrings deep under layers of lies. However the wise and perceptive can recognise these deep motivations of a man's innermost thoughts by various clues such as the "holier than thou" insult which is the subject of this thread.

I suggest that you learn from me. Search and examine your heart and innermost thoughts and motivations. Follow me, humble yourself, repent and turn your heart to the Lord God while he may be found. Then you will find peace and rest for your soul.

Seriously, dude? The only thing we can learn from you is delusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2013, 08:12 AM
(17-09-2013 08:04 AM)excubitor Wrote:  Follow me, humble yourself, repent and turn your heart to the Lord God while he may be found.
YOU FUCKING LOST HIM?!? CALL SCOTLAND YARD!!!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 6 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post