I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 06:23 AM
RE: I am holier than thou
(20-09-2013 06:21 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  ... inept posting skills.

... a mortal sin if ever there was one.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 06:47 AM
(20-09-2013 05:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This Catholic thinks he can assert authority, without establishing it, then argue from it.
He gets an "F" in Debate also.
So far he has "F's" in History, Moral Theology, and Logic, and a "D-" in Fiction writing.
He about to flunk out I see.

Don't forget his string of Fs in science.

He thinks the sun goes around the Earth.

He thinks the sun goes around the Earth

And he damn well knows it's indefensible.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
20-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. I haven't read all 24 pages of posts. He thinks the SUN GOES AROUND THE EARTH??

Does he not have access to science books? Or education? Or a telescope? or understand concept of mass in physics? If the sun goes around the earth, then all my farts come out all pink and glittery.
[+] 5 users Like Cathym112's post
20-09-2013, 07:03 AM
(20-09-2013 06:56 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Whoa whoa whoa. I haven't read all 24 pages of posts. He thinks the SUN GOES AROUND THE EARTH??

Does he not have access to science books? Or education? Or a telescope? or understand concept of mass in physics? If the sun goes around the earth, then all my farts come out all pink and glittery.

Post 149 and 154 from him.

Post 157 my response.

Post 163 of his is about the most frighteningly delusional thing I've seen this side of Mark Dreher.

Post 179 my response.

Post 183 his gives up and makes an excuse because he knows he can't possibly convince a thinking human being of anything, let alone respond to one in an argument.

S'all there. Read it and weep.

... this is my signature!
20-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Well I for one am immensely enjoying the total atheist ass kicking this dolt has given us so far.

He's dreamy. Heart

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-09-2013, 08:38 AM
(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 11:22 AM)excubitor Wrote:  Of course not. sex in marriage is a legitimate expression of love. Sex outside of marriage whether homosexual or heterosexual is not an expression of love at all but is selfish lust which is destructive to both parties.
Love between men and men is only pure and true if it is not expressed in a lustful sexual act.
Love between women and women is only pure and true if it is not expressed in a lustful sexual act.
Love between men and women who are not married is only pure if it is not expressed in a lustful sexual act.

According to the teachings of the Catholic Church which alone has the authority to proclaim what is true, sexual love can only be expressed in marriage when the sexual act is open to the conception of children.

So infertile couples can't experience true love? Or couples who are past child bearing age?
Sarah the wife of Abraham was past child bearing age and because of their true love Isaac the father of Israel was born. Infertile couples generally long and desire for children. They are trying to conceive and are obviously not practicing artificial birth control. Couples (even those who are thought to be infertile) who engage in sexual practices which could not result in a conception either because of the nature of those sexual practices or the use of artificial birth control are not expressing or sharing love but have a disordered relationship based on lust. Usually in this depraved day and age this is usually due to ignorance, as most couples are not aware of the gravity of their sin, so they are somewhat less culpable than they might be if they were educated in these things, as you would supposed Catholics might be.

(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm wondering what the OP means by "marriage" and what makes a "marriage" legit? Please define what you mean by marriage.
You're kidding. You don't know what marriage means. You think my notion of marriage is different to what marriage is generally understood to mean?

(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Marriage is a very fluid and dynamic term. Marriage can be purely a state of mind, and it can also be a legal binding document. These are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of husbands and wives that are not emotionally married to each other.
Marriage is a legally binding covenant ratified by consummation. In its highest form in the Catholic church it is a sacrament which models the relationship between Christ and the church.

(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Also, what makes a marriage legit? Is marriage only valid if performed in some kind of religious ceremony? Is a marriage by a judge as valid as one that occurs in a church? At the heart of it - a wedding is nothing more than a proclamation of love, a combination of symbolic gestures and a proclamation by a self-appointed authority to declare it so. Nothing more. Therefore - I would argue marriage (the one you appear to be referring to - correct me if im wrong) is more a state of mind.
A natural marriage requires a few things.
1. A lifetime commitment and vow to bond with each other till death do us part.
2. Witnesses of this vow eg. family, celebrant, priest
3. Consummation of the marriage.

As an example, Isaac went into the tent with Rebekah with his parents and their household as witnesses and they were married without any kind of elaborate ceremony.

(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  To insinuate that sex in a relationship wherein those two individuals didn't participate in the above mentioned ritual, secular or religious, doesn't mean they expressed love during that sex is completely ridiculous at best and disingenuous at worst. I have had boyfriends with whom I loved deeply that I experienced sexual love with. I lived with my boyfriends and for all intents and purposes, it was a marriage (at least in our state of mind), although we prevented conception. Sex without the goal of children doesn't negate its meaning. Sex can be simply sex without emotion, yes, but its whatever the two individuals deem its meaning to be. A husband and wife can also have sex with each other where it is only for quick sexual gratification and it isn't a big to do. I'm legally and emotionally married to my husband....sometimes we make love with all the intimacy and connection that follows. And sometimes we just enjoy each other's bodies for the sake of a quick orgasm and nothing more!
Sex with boyfriends before marriage is called fornication. It is not an expression of love but of lust. It is an illegitimate act. Whereas the various types of sex which you have indiscreetly described which are engaged in marriage without birth control are legitimate acts.

(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You have no idea what goes on in someone else's marriage. The husband could be raping his wife every night - is that pure sexual love simply because they are married?
Of course it is not. That is obvious to the most moronic amongst us. What is less obvious is whether or not sexual acts in marriage which cannot result in children are expressions of love. By the authority of the Catholic church I proclaim that such acts are not expressions of love.

(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You seem to have a very unhealthy view of sex and sexual health. I do not give the Catholic Church any authority to proclaim what is true, especially when it comes to sex. And the bible also had men marrying their multiple concubines, their siblings,their rape victims...was that pure sexual love too?
The church has more authority than the men in the old testament. The fact that you reject this authority is utterly irrelevant.
20-09-2013, 08:48 AM
(20-09-2013 06:56 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  If the sun goes around the earth, then all my farts come out all pink and glittery.

Ok.
For just a fraction of a second... I kind of ... frantically searched for a way to make that work.
Is is so wrong to want to see something so cool? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-09-2013, 08:53 AM
(20-09-2013 08:48 AM)kim Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 06:56 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:   If the sun goes around the earth, then all my farts come out all pink and glittery.

Ok.
For just a fraction of a second... I kind of ... frantically searched for a way to make that work.
Is is so wrong to want to see something so cool? Dodgy

What in the world do you eat? Blink

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-09-2013, 08:54 AM
As we are on the subject of sex...

I just had really great extramarital sex. I have another girl lined up for tomorrow morning.

I always pray to god that the condoms are not holier than excubit's arguments.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
20-09-2013, 09:09 AM
So any sex wherein the conception of children is not a goal is not true love, even within your narrow confines of marriage, is what I'm understanding you saying. You take issue with a couple practicing artificial birth control...but if a couple is practicing a natural birth control, thats ok?

I'd like to consider this: You are aware how a woman's reproduction systems works, correct? And that there is only a very small window, 2-3 days, in which conception can occur. Therefore, if sex isn't happening during these 3 critical days, conception is not an option...and therefore sex is not an expression of love? So if a couple is using a Rhythm Method, they are actively avoiding conception by abstaining during the fertile periods.

conception cannot happen before a woman has ovulated, or after the window of ovulation is closed. Which leaves - on an average cycle - 25 days in which conception cannot happen. So, if you are having sex knowing that conception cannot and will not take place....does that mean the couple isn't experiencing God sanctioned sexual love?

let just say that I disagree with just about EVERYTHING you have said. Marriage is more than a legal binding document. Its a state of mind. Any sex I have is not "illegitimate",

further - you cannot make such sweeping generalizations regarding infertile couples. There are many infertile couples that are happy they cannot conceive. Not everyone wants children!

Since the church bases its beliefs on the Bible, how can it have MORE authority than the men in the old testament? Further, you justify the marriage of Issac and Rebecca, and Sarah and Abraham, (these are men of the old testament), but reject the other marriages of men in the old testament. I do not follow your logic there....