I am holier than thou

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: I am holier than thou
(20-09-2013 06:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 05:45 PM)excubitor Wrote:  The church teaches monogamy in marriage. If this teaching was followed millions of lives would be saved from HIV. Of course the Pope is not going to support any argument which rejects a legitimate resolution of the problem by replacing it with a band-aid illegitimate resolution of the problem.

You missed the point. the Pope spread a lie that condoms spread the virus. His Lie, irrespective of his rationale for providing it, is responsible for the deaths of millions. Lives, God's supposed children. Murder by proxy.

Good luck squaring that circle. Oh yeah...and checkmate.
Please provide a link or citation to prove that the Pope said this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 06:35 PM
(20-09-2013 05:07 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  ...
You really need to brush up on your debate skills. You aren't very good at addressing the actual topic at hand.

In excube's defence, he doesn't need to.

He is arguing from a position of authority because he is 'holier than thou'.

QED

Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-09-2013, 06:44 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...nti-condom

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
20-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Your turn!! Show me proof that God gave the Catholic Church authority. And you can't use the bible. That's like using Harry Potter books to prove the existence of Hogwarts.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
20-09-2013, 07:06 PM
(20-09-2013 06:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  using Harry Potter books to prove the existence of Hogwarts.

Well I don't see how *else* you're gonna do it Tongue
20-09-2013, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 07:46 PM by Cathym112.)
I'm waiting, X-cubed. Where is your evidence?

The reality is, you don't have any. You have no proof or evidence that god gave authority, nor do you have any evidence that there is a god.

You are on an atheist support website. There will be no conversion here. In fact, I used to be a catholic and find them to be one of the most despicable religious institutions imaginable. Child rape is unforgivable...not to mention the crusades, the abuse and exploitation of the poor and uneducated, and their endorsement of hitler. Their crimes against humanity is disgusting and the sooner they lose support, the sooner they die away.

It's times like these when I do wish for a god and wish for a hell. The entire Catholic Church would burn in it.

20-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Why we believe in gods by Andy Thomson is a great book. There is a chapter in there regarding why hell speaks to our innate sense of justice.

20-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Man, excubitor's still around?

Disproved F=ma yet, buddy?

Disproved gravity yet?

I'm patient. I'll wait.

... this is my signature!
20-09-2013, 07:57 PM
(20-09-2013 06:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  ...
And you can't use the bible. That's like using Harry Potter fan fiction to prove the existence of Hogwarts.

Fixt.

Thumbsup

20-09-2013, 10:06 PM
(20-09-2013 06:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Your turn!! Show me proof that God gave the Catholic Church authority. And you can't use the bible. That's like using Harry Potter books to prove the existence of Hogwarts.
There is no evidence which I could offer that you accept. The Bible is the evidence which I use to establish the truth that Jesus gave his authority to the church. You however don't even recognise the authority of Jesus or that he was the Son of God. You do not even recognise that God exists. Jesus Christ is the foundation of the authority of the church.

The only other evidence which I offer is the clear testimony of Christians throughout history who have recognised the authority of the church and of the Lord's minister, the Pope.

I daresay that you recognise the authority of the President of the United States. Why? Because a great people of 300 million recognise his authority.
Why then do you not recognise the authority of the Pope which is recognised by an even greater people, a universal people who exist in every country on the earth and who number 1.2 billion.

Such incredible authority does not come out of thin air. It must be granted by a higher authority. The authority of the President of the United States of America also comes from God, who raises up kings and brings them down to suit his purposes.

The fact that you do not recognise the authority of God, Jesus, the Church and the scriptures is obvious. No doubt there are people in the US who do not recognise the authority of the President and who rebel against his rule. Refusing to recognise an obvious authority like the Pope is nothing short of disobedience. All men if they want to achieve eternal salvation must submit to the sovereign pontiff. That is the fact of the matter. Rebel against the Pope, the church and the scriptures is the same as rebelling against Jesus and God. Rebels will receive the fate of Korah whose whole family was swallowed up into the ground when Korah rebelled against Moses. Whereas the Pope is greater than Moses because he administers a better covenant of salvation to a greater and more universal people than Israel ever was.