I am not proud to be an American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I am not proud to be an American
Seriously - I am not proud to be an American.

I'm glad I'm one. I know of no other place I'd rather live.

But.... Why would I be proud of being an American? I was simply born here. I didn't do anything of note to achieve status as an American citizen. It was nothing more than an accident of birth. I didn't choose to be here, I didn't work hard to get here, and I really have no good reason why I should be here. I just am.

My Grandfather - He had a reason. He emigrated here. Served in the US Army. Became a naturalized citizen. He worked at it, and had every right to be proud of being an American - and was.

Pride in something should require more than an accident of birth. Your eye color, hair color, skin color, or nationality are nothing to be proud of. While we're at it, throw in gender, sexual orientation or preference of samba music over classical.

Achievement is not, nor should it be that easy.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-01-2015, 05:30 PM
RE: I am not proud to be an American
(23-01-2015 05:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Seriously - I am not proud to be an American.

I'm glad I'm one. I know of no other place I'd rather live.

But.... Why would I be proud of being an American? I was simply born here. I didn't do anything of note to achieve status as an American citizen. It was nothing more than an accident of birth. I didn't choose to be here, I didn't work hard to get here, and I really have no good reason why I should be here. I just am.

My Grandfather - He had a reason. He emigrated here. Served in the US Army. Became a naturalized citizen. He worked at it, and had every right to be proud of being an American - and was.

Pride in something should require more than an accident of birth. Your eye color, hair color, skin color, or nationality are nothing to be proud of. While we're at it, throw in gender, sexual orientation or preference of samba music over classical.

Achievement is not, nor should it be that easy.

Isn't it great you have the constitutional right to free speech? isn't it great you can choose to move somewhere else? Freedom of choice is a powerful right, perhaps you should invoke it if you aren't happy here. Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
23-01-2015, 05:34 PM
What do you have pride in? Anything in particular?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Wink RE: I am not proud to be an American
Repeating --

Third sentence (for clarity and making sure we're on the same page)

I know of no other place I'd rather live.

SmileSmile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-01-2015, 05:39 PM
(23-01-2015 05:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What do you have pride in? Anything in particular?

I actually would of said I agree with him in my sentiment... but seeing this is a really good response. Yes I'm not proud to be an American but I'm also not proud to be much of anything. I can probably count the things I would truly say I'm proud of about my in a definitive prideful manner with my fingers. Smartass

I'm also not some antithesis and spiteful I'm almost anything, accept for maybe a few quirks that hamper my choices.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-01-2015, 05:40 PM
(23-01-2015 05:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What do you have pride in? Anything in particular?

Sure... I've built some seriously cool motorcycles in my time. I've got a really cool maple syrup arch (what you boil syrup down on) of my own design. I've scratch built several radio controlled aircraft - some exceeding 250 mph in level flight. I've got several rifles I've built. I've got a walk in freezer in my garage I built out of a large pile of styrofoam and an old air conditioning unit. Need anything else??

23-01-2015, 05:42 PM
The point the OP is trying to make is that one's genetics or place of birth are no reason for pride (or disdain). Pride requires achievement. Being born with a particular genetic make up or in a particular place isn't an achievement, so there's no reason to be proud of it.
Again, this is the point the OP is trying to make.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 7 users Like One Above All's post
23-01-2015, 05:42 PM
I agree with the OP. I don't think there's anything wrong with being an American, and I'm glad I am one, but it seems an odd thing to be "proud" of. Like he said, you would normally be proud of something that you had to work to accomplish, not something that's just an accident of birth.

I am also not "proud" to be white, male, heterosexual, a native of Wisconsin, or 5'8" tall. Those are all things that I had no choice about, and didn't have to do anything to "achieve".

What am I proud of? Not much ("pride goeth before a fall"), but maybe something like finishing the Horribly Hilly Hundred bike ride 6 times. It was extremely difficult, and required both extensive training before the event and a maximum effort on the day of the event. That was actually an achievement and not just something that happened to me or that I was born with.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-01-2015, 05:48 PM
I was asking to find out what merits a feeling of pride.

Definition - Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris. With a positive connotation, pride refers to a satisfied sense of attachment toward one's own or another's choices and actions, or toward a whole group of people, and is a product of praise, independent self-reflection, or a fulfilled feeling of belonging.

What I found out is that the OP doesn't feel the sense of attachment as noted here.

That's the kind of pride I have for being American.

Just looking for clarification to see where OP stands. Not seeking attitude or snark.

YMMV

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-01-2015, 05:50 PM
(23-01-2015 05:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Third sentence (for clarity and making sure we're on the same page)

I know of no other place I'd rather live.

Out of interest, have you ever lived anywhere outside of the country that you were born? Or moved across to a different part of America?

I find that if you move then you either move somewhere better or start to appreciate what's good about where you came from.

With regard to national pride, it's true that you have more to be proud of if you have worked at it and achieved it, but there is still a (lesser) case for being proud of your nationality. First there's being proud of your heritage which means that you are more likely to maintain it. Culture and heritage are things that you can easily take for granted all the time you have it. Secondly, the fact that every culture is made up a mixture of good and bad and if you recognise this then a certain sense of pride in the good parts can be a healthy way of exploiting the advantages it gives you.

On the other hand, it's also good to recognise when the cultural values that you were raised in do not match your own personal values. Pride in your nationality then becomes far less meaningful. If you are proud of your nationality just for the sake of it then it does mean that you are can be more easily manipulated by the powers that be.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post