I am not proud to be an American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 09:18 PM
RE: I am not proud to be an American
Maybe you should ask yourself what would you be proud of, and work at making it real.

I have this on my wall :

This is the true joy in life:
the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one;

the being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making me happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it, whatever I can.
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.
I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a splendid torch which I have hold of for the moment.

I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations,

and being tossed onto the scrapheap of history.

- George Bernard Shaw

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2015, 09:21 PM
(23-01-2015 05:30 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 05:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Seriously - I am not proud to be an American.

I'm glad I'm one. I know of no other place I'd rather live.

But.... Why would I be proud of being an American? I was simply born here. I didn't do anything of note to achieve status as an American citizen. It was nothing more than an accident of birth. I didn't choose to be here, I didn't work hard to get here, and I really have no good reason why I should be here. I just am.

My Grandfather - He had a reason. He emigrated here. Served in the US Army. Became a naturalized citizen. He worked at it, and had every right to be proud of being an American - and was.

Pride in something should require more than an accident of birth. Your eye color, hair color, skin color, or nationality are nothing to be proud of. While we're at it, throw in gender, sexual orientation or preference of samba music over classical.

Achievement is not, nor should it be that easy.

Isn't it great you have the constitutional right to free speech? isn't it great you can choose to move somewhere else? Freedom of choice is a powerful right, perhaps you should invoke it if you aren't happy here. Big Grin

He is not not happy here. He said he's glad he's here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Blind patriotism is an acid that corrodes people's humanity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
23-01-2015, 11:21 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-01-2015, 12:25 AM
My days of blind, flag-waving pride are long gone. We've done too much miserable shit in the world.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
24-01-2015, 12:46 AM
(24-01-2015 12:25 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  My days of blind, flag-waving pride are long gone. We've done too much miserable shit in the world.

It's not like unfounded tribal guilt is an improvement over pride...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
24-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I've always thought "pride" an overrated emotion.

For example, I could say that I'm proud of my son, but "humbled" seems to fit better.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
24-01-2015, 02:59 AM
(23-01-2015 05:30 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 05:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Seriously - I am not proud to be an American.

I'm glad I'm one. I know of no other place I'd rather live.

But.... Why would I be proud of being an American? I was simply born here. I didn't do anything of note to achieve status as an American citizen. It was nothing more than an accident of birth. I didn't choose to be here, I didn't work hard to get here, and I really have no good reason why I should be here. I just am.

My Grandfather - He had a reason. He emigrated here. Served in the US Army. Became a naturalized citizen. He worked at it, and had every right to be proud of being an American - and was.

Pride in something should require more than an accident of birth. Your eye color, hair color, skin color, or nationality are nothing to be proud of. While we're at it, throw in gender, sexual orientation or preference of samba music over classical.

Achievement is not, nor should it be that easy.

Isn't it great you have the constitutional right to free speech? isn't it great you can choose to move somewhere else? Freedom of choice is a powerful right, perhaps you should invoke it if you aren't happy here. Big Grin

You know I love you gwg, but this is a terrible attitude. If you're not proud to be an American, maybe that means you should do something about it. In America, homosexuals don't have equal rights. If you don't like it leave? No. If you don't like it, do something about it. If there are specific things you don't like, stand up and make a difference advocate for change.

I am not proud to be an American either. Why should I be? I was born here. Is that some sort of accomplishment? No, it's not.

I am also not particularly proud of America. Does that mean I should leave? I suppose that's an option, but I think it makes more sense to stay. This is my home and if I don't like it I should change it. If your front door is broken do you fix it or do you move to a new home?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
24-01-2015, 03:08 AM
(24-01-2015 02:59 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 05:30 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Isn't it great you have the constitutional right to free speech? isn't it great you can choose to move somewhere else? Freedom of choice is a powerful right, perhaps you should invoke it if you aren't happy here. Big Grin

You know I love you gwg, but this is a terrible attitude. If you're not proud to be an American, maybe that means you should do something about it. In America, homosexuals don't have equal rights. If you don't like it leave? No. If you don't like it, do something about it. If there are specific things you don't like, stand up and make a difference advocate for change.

I am not proud to be an American either. Why should I be? I was born here. Is that some sort of accomplishment? No, it's not.

I am also not particularly proud of America. Does that mean I should leave? I suppose that's an option, but I think it makes more sense to stay. This is my home and if I don't like it I should change it. If your front door is broken do you fix it or do you move to a new home?
You know, it's incredibly ironic that Americans are the ones who so commonly respond to criticism of their country with "If you don't like it, you can leave" given that the US is the only country in the entire world that forces its citizens to pay taxes to its government even if they move to a different country, renounce their citizenship and accept the citizenship of another country. Facepalm

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
24-01-2015, 03:33 AM
(24-01-2015 03:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You know, it's incredibly ironic that Americans are the ones who so commonly respond to criticism of their country with "If you don't like it, you can leave" given that the US is the only country in the entire world that forces its citizens to pay taxes to its government even if they move to a different country, renounce their citizenship and accept the citizenship of another country. Facepalm

That seems... unbelievably stupid. Seriously, I don't believe it.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?