I am not proud to be an American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 04:22 AM by Mathilda.)
RE: I am not proud to be an American
(23-01-2015 08:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I'm glad I'm one. I know of no other place I'd rather live.

How about Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man (because why not?), France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Africa, Caymans, Iceland, Switzerland, San Marino (they still have a crossbow corp, badass? I think so), Austria, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco or Luxembourg?

I'd actually prefer to live in America than South Africa.

There's less chance of being shot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2015, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 04:27 AM by Mathilda.)
(24-01-2015 03:33 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 03:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You know, it's incredibly ironic that Americans are the ones who so commonly respond to criticism of their country with "If you don't like it, you can leave" given that the US is the only country in the entire world that forces its citizens to pay taxes to its government even if they move to a different country, renounce their citizenship and accept the citizenship of another country. Facepalm

That seems... unbelievably stupid. Seriously, I don't believe it.

They certainly have to file tax returns. I don't know how much they have to pay though. I assumed that they had to fill in tax returns if they wanted to keep their American citizenship. But I don't personally have experience of it.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/inde...&p=1423692
24-01-2015, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 05:42 AM by Chas.)
(24-01-2015 03:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 02:59 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You know I love you gwg, but this is a terrible attitude. If you're not proud to be an American, maybe that means you should do something about it. In America, homosexuals don't have equal rights. If you don't like it leave? No. If you don't like it, do something about it. If there are specific things you don't like, stand up and make a difference advocate for change.

I am not proud to be an American either. Why should I be? I was born here. Is that some sort of accomplishment? No, it's not.

I am also not particularly proud of America. Does that mean I should leave? I suppose that's an option, but I think it makes more sense to stay. This is my home and if I don't like it I should change it. If your front door is broken do you fix it or do you move to a new home?
You know, it's incredibly ironic that Americans are the ones who so commonly respond to criticism of their country with "If you don't like it, you can leave" given that the US is the only country in the entire world that forces its citizens to pay taxes to its government even if they move to a different country, renounce their citizenship and accept the citizenship of another country. Facepalm

Not true. Once citizenship of another country is obtained, the financial hold is ended.

There's a whole thread where this is shown to be untrue. That libertardian frankksj was foaming at the mouth about this. I quoted the statutes to show him incorrect.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-01-2015, 05:45 AM
(24-01-2015 02:59 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  No. If you don't like it, do something about it.

They tried when trying to promote science. America fucked it up. Just move, no point of having hope in something hopeless.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-01-2015, 05:46 AM
(24-01-2015 05:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 03:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You know, it's incredibly ironic that Americans are the ones who so commonly respond to criticism of their country with "If you don't like it, you can leave" given that the US is the only country in the entire world that forces its citizens to pay taxes to its government even if they move to a different country, renounce their citizenship and accept the citizenship of another country. Facepalm

Not true. Once citizenship of another country is obtained, the financial hold is ended.

There's a whole thread where this is shown to be untrue. That libertardian frankksj was foaming at the mouth about this. I quoted the statutes to show him incorrect.

Thanks for clearing that up.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-01-2015, 06:00 AM
(24-01-2015 05:45 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 02:59 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  No. If you don't like it, do something about it.

They tried when trying to promote science. America fucked it up. Just move, no point of having hope in something hopeless.

So, if we try to improve something, and something impedes progress on aforementioned improvement, we're justified to just stop trying entirely?

Good to know that we can stop trying to eradicate polio and poverty in the third world now, bout time we stop trying with that cash-suck. Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
24-01-2015, 06:09 AM
(24-01-2015 05:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not true. Once citizenship of another country is obtained, the financial hold is ended.
No, that's not true. You need to formally renounce your U.S. citizenship (which costs several thousand dollars) before the IRS finally leaves you alone. The US is the only country on the planet (apart from one tiny country in Africa) that taxes people based on citizenship, as opposed to residency, which is both completely unethical and idiotic.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
24-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Here's a nice visual representation from Wikipedia.

[Image: Individual_taxation_systems.png]
Green: No income tax on individuals
Light Blue: Territorial
Dark Blue: Residential
Pink: Citizenship-based

Notice something? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
24-01-2015, 06:57 AM
(24-01-2015 03:57 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 08:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How about Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man (because why not?), France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Africa, Caymans, Iceland, Switzerland, San Marino (they still have a crossbow corp, badass? I think so), Austria, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco or Luxembourg?

I'd actually prefer to live in America than South Africa.

There's less chance of being shot.

Is it though? America... South Africa... I gotta google this shit.

Ok I couldn't find gun related crime but SA does have the 11th highest homicide rate. USA is 111th. Though considering that Yemen is 108th, Iran is 121st and Syria is 154th, that's not saying a hell of a lot regarding the statistic.
24-01-2015, 07:48 AM
(24-01-2015 06:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Here's a nice visual representation from Wikipedia.

[Image: Individual_taxation_systems.png]
Green: No income tax on individuals
Light Blue: Territorial
Dark Blue: Residential
Pink: Citizenship-based

Notice something? Consider

Somalia looks like a great place to live? Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post