I am not proud to be an American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 07:53 AM by Chas.)
RE: I am not proud to be an American
(24-01-2015 06:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 05:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not true. Once citizenship of another country is obtained, the financial hold is ended.
No, that's not true. You need to formally renounce your U.S. citizenship (which costs several thousand dollars) before the IRS finally leaves you alone. The US is the only country on the planet (apart from one tiny country in Africa) that taxes people based on citizenship, as opposed to residency, which is both completely unethical and idiotic.

I was responding to what you had stated which included renunciation.

Besides, why the fuck do you care? Fuckin' Latvians. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2015, 07:57 AM
(24-01-2015 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  I was responding to what you had stated which included renunciation.
Fair enough. Consider

(24-01-2015 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Besides, why the fuck do you care? Fuckin' Latvians. Facepalm
I care because my fiancée is an American citizen and it would be much easier for her to become a German citizen if she didn't have to pay several thousand dollars to renounce her American citizenship.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
24-01-2015, 08:18 AM
How can one be proud to be an American when our president chooses to get interviewed by youtube personalities and makes a mockery of his office?

Was this a sick joke? This woman gets to interview the American president?

[Image: Untitled-1.gif]

It's an embarrassment.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Death is a debt we all must pay.
24-01-2015, 08:33 AM
(24-01-2015 08:18 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  How can one be proud to be an American when our president chooses to get interviewed by youtube personalities and makes a mockery of his office?

It's an embarrassment.

Your name has patriot in it. That's it, that is all I need to say.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-01-2015, 08:56 AM
(24-01-2015 08:18 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  How can one be proud to be an American when our president chooses to get interviewed by youtube personalities and makes a mockery of his office?

It's an embarrassment.

It's a mockery of the office because? ..oh it doesn't conflate to your contextual views I guess?

Yep, having people with a different demographic than the norm interview the president is a sick joke. We must have things put up on standards that don't reach all possible outlets and ranges of.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
24-01-2015, 09:06 AM
(24-01-2015 07:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  I was responding to what you had stated which included renunciation.
Fair enough. Consider

(24-01-2015 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Besides, why the fuck do you care? Fuckin' Latvians. Facepalm
I care because my fiancée is an American citizen and it would be much easier for her to become a German citizen if she didn't have to pay several thousand dollars to renounce her American citizenship.

I can't imagine why it would cost several thousand dollars. Consider

But is it really necessary? I recall that those tax statutes only functionally apply to large earnings, investments, and inheritance. Small change gets a pass.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2015, 09:24 AM
(24-01-2015 09:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  I can't imagine why it would cost several thousand dollars. Consider
It used to cost $450, but the US government increased the price to a hefty $2,350 in 2014.

(24-01-2015 09:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  But is it really necessary? I recall that those tax statutes only functionally apply to large earnings, investments, and inheritance. Small change gets a pass.
Germany (unfortunately) requires foreigners to renounce all of their other citizenships before they can become German citizens. There are some exceptions to this rule and she may or may not qualify for one of them. The description is rather vague, stating that an exception can be made if renouncing one's citizenship would require one to "pay an unreasonably high amount of money." How high is "unreasonably high"? I'm not sure. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-01-2015, 10:04 AM
That's too bad. I'm about 5 months away from being eligible for Canadian citizenship. As long as I don't start running for office or something, dual is not a problem. Good thing, since I intend to stay in the U.S. National Guard to finish that part of my retirement even while living and working in Canada.

I'm not much for pride, but I do believe in patriotism. Not as a declaration that your country is better just because it happens to be your country. More like recognition of the fact that it is a necessary survival advantage for a nation to have at its core people who put the needs of the nation before their own. Since the fates of Canada and the US are somewhat intertwined, I don't see it as a conflict of interests.

Whether or not a country deserves it is irrelevant. North Korea, for example, would benefit from a few more patriots and a few less scared drones.

A little patriotism exhibited by the Iraqi soldiers, when they still had the advantage, would have stopped ISIS dead in its tracks in a matter of hours, and with minimal casualties. But instead they said fuck this, why should I risk myself for this country?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
24-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Congratulations by the way Vosur on getting engaged! Will you be getting married in Germany or America? We got married in Germany. We needed to hire an official translator though which is required if either one of you is not fluent. I can't remember the German word for it, not Übersetzer because that's for written word. Began with a D.

We also had to get our birth certificates translated. We actually gave up on the idea of getting married in Germany until we realised that a lot of the conditions did not apply to us because we were EU citizens. A colleague at work helped us out though.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
24-01-2015, 10:22 AM
(24-01-2015 10:04 AM)yakherder Wrote:  That's too bad. I'm about 5 months away from being eligible for Canadian citizenship. As long as I don't start running for office or something, dual is not a problem. Good thing, since I intend to stay in the U.S. National Guard to finish that part of my retirement even while living and working in Canada.

I'm not much for pride, but I do believe in patriotism. Not as a declaration that your country is better just because it happens to be your country. More like recognition of the fact that it is a necessary survival advantage for a nation to have at its core people who put the needs of the nation before their own. Since the fates of Canada and the US are somewhat intertwined, I don't see it as a conflict of interests.

Whether or not a country deserves it is irrelevant. North Korea, for example, would benefit from a few more patriots and a few less scared drones.

A little patriotism exhibited by the Iraqi soldiers, when they still had the advantage, would have stopped ISIS dead in its tracks in a matter of hours, and with minimal casualties. But instead they said fuck this, why should I risk myself for this country?

I agree.

Patriotism is not the same as pride. They are intertwined, but not the same.

And good deal on your service. My nephew just went in the NG as well - making him the 4th generation in our family to do service.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.